Add-Ons Testing Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Add-Ons Testing

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-10-28, 18:23

(Hopefully with MoonChild's blessing) I'm creating a sub-topic for us Add-On lovers. It's just a place where I and others can report how our favorite add-ons work with PaleMoon/Tycho. This is done with the full understanding that the PaleMoon team cannot and will not change the code for any particular add-on. However, it may help them uncover issues with the new version that they need to address.

Here are some of my own add-ons which may or may not be working in Tycho but which work fine in PaleMoon 26.5.0 (x64). This is not a comprehensive list and I will be adding additional items as I get time to test:

edrtf20

Re: Add-Ons Testing

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2016-10-28, 18:59

For Extension List Dumper there is a fixed version that works

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -dumper-2/

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-10-28, 19:06

Running Tycho so far I've only detected a unsolvable problem with Tree Style Tab - after a certain number of new tabs (40ish, I seem to remember) it doesn't display any new tabs opened.
Tab Utilities (1.5.28.1.1-signed.1-signed) seems to be a good substitute so far: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-utilities/

Problems with other extensions have so far been fixed by updating to a more recent version number. However I am running 80 extensions, all of them useful but many not used very often, so there could be issues still to discover.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-10-28, 19:39

edrtf20 wrote:For Extension List Dumper there is a fixed version that works: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -dumper-2/
I shall grab it - thanks

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-10-28, 21:22

Add to Search Bar. Version 2.0.1 works. But once in a while, it tends to update itself automatically to the most recent version, even though I checked "do not update".

Show Password Field. Doesn't work (JetPack). I use SHow my password (a little bit more finicky, but it works.

Video DownloadHelper. There are a couple of situations where it works and others don't. Version 4.9.24.1 works.

Extensions for which current versions work with Pale Moon 27:
Adblock Latitude (PM)
Colorzilla
Complete Youtube Saver
Cookies Export/Import
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
Exif Viewer
Firesizer
Flash Video Downloader – Youtube HD Download
Image Zoom
Keyword Search
MeasureIt
Pale Moon Commander (PM – obviously)
Password Exporter
Restart
S3.Google Translator
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-10-29, 14:57

Hello,

A couple of updates to my previous post:

Add to Search Bar. Version 2.0.1 works. Even if I check "do not update", once in a while, Pale Moon seems to check around and marks it as incompatible. This happens especially if I add a new extension or click on "check for (extensions) updates", but I think it happens at other times. Well, version 2.0.1 is compatible, so it should not be de-activated by Pale Moon!
I also just found out that there is a pseudo-static version of Add to Search Bar that exists right here on APO, so I'm trying it as we speak.

Flash Video Downloader – Youtube HD Download. Checking back, I realised that I use version 8.4.0, which works correctly. Make sure you check "do NOT allow to update". More recent versions are installed correctly and deemed compatible, but the drop down menu doesn't open.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-29, 15:50

Just thought I'd mention here in this topic discussing add-ons (compatible or otherwise) that I was surprised to find that the Decentraleyes extension is NOT compatible with PMv27 since it is reported to be a "jetpack" add-on as reported by the PM Extension Compatibility Checker app. My surprise is based on the fact that this add-on is listed as a Pale Moon extension, see https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/all-extensions/ down in the "Privacy & Security" section of the page :eh:.

Apparently the Pale Moon Extension page is going to need an update. :think: :idea: ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-10-31, 18:11

FYI - I received an email today from ZigBoom, the creator of the LavaFox themes (I contacted him because his themes are not quite working with Tycho - the address in the URL bar is getting "doubled"). This is the email I got back:
Hi Woody,

Yes, everything more or less same :) still maintaining the themes even though Mozilla announced they're going to kill full themes more or less in near future .. we'll see .. I may move to PaleMoon eventually :-)

Do you know if they have a portable version I could test without installing and writing to the registry etc. ?

Also .. can I see a screenshot of the issue ? maybe I could guess what is it ..

Best regards,

Ziggy
I sent him the link to download Tycho.

I didn't know that the Mozilla team was putting the kibosh on themes but it makes sense since their update schedule pretty much precludes any developer from being able to keep up without making it a full time job. It appears that Pale Moon may attract some of these developers for add-ons, themes and who knows? - maybe even some base-code developers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-31, 19:21

Shadeclan wrote:I didn't know that the Mozilla team was putting the kibosh on themes
Yes, right along with xul extensions, bootstrap extensions, and SDK extensions. Binary components are already gone. Plugins will soon follow.

Customizability will be gone very soon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-10-31, 19:25

Moonchild wrote:Yes, right along with xul extensions, bootstrap extensions, and SDK extensions. Binary components are already gone. Plugins will soon follow.

Customizability will be gone very soon.
... along with most of their user base, I'll wager. Well, PaleMoon is gaining in popularity every day.

I'm still sore at that "Pulling a Pale Moon" shot - we'll see who has the last laugh! In the meantime, back to testing add-ons ...

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-10-31, 19:36

Shadeclan wrote:FYI - I received an email today from ZigBoom, the creator of the LavaFox themes (I contacted him because his themes are not quite working with Tycho - the address in the URL bar is getting "doubled"). This is the email I got back:
Hi Woody,

Yes, everything more or less same :) still maintaining the themes even though Mozilla announced they're going to kill full themes more or less in near future .. we'll see .. I may move to PaleMoon eventually :-)

Do you know if they have a portable version I could test without installing and writing to the registry etc. ?

Also .. can I see a screenshot of the issue ? maybe I could guess what is it ..

Best regards,

Ziggy
I sent him the link to download Tycho.

I didn't know that the Mozilla team was putting the kibosh on themes but it makes sense since their update schedule pretty much precludes any developer from being able to keep up without making it a full time job. It appears that Pale Moon may attract some of these developers for add-ons, themes and who knows? - maybe even some base-code developers.
Might be worth relaying to him that this issue (the statusbar doubling) is a rather simple job - extract the statusbar folder from the default theme and place it in /browser. For other (smaller) issues see this guide I put together for theme changes (will be updated for Tycho soon; the only other change of note is that devtools live in /global now and use the FF38 devtools, plus the fact that the CSS media queries introduced in v26 for Linux/BSD/OS X don't work now).

With regards to Mozilla killing themes, it's something that's been in the works for a while (but no progress yet, as far as I can tell)... See bug #1222546.

It'd be great if more theme developers got on board! :)

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-10-31, 19:47

Lootyhoof wrote:Might be worth relaying to him that this issue (the statusbar doubling) is a rather simple job - extract the statusbar folder from the default theme and place it in /browser. For other (smaller) issues see this guide I put together for theme changes (will be updated for Tycho soon; the only other change of note is that devtools live in /global now and use the FF38 devtools, plus the fact that the CSS media queries introduced in v26 for Linux/BSD/OS X don't work now) ...

... It'd be great if more theme developers got on board! :)
The problem is not in the status bar. The URL is doubling in the URL bar - I'm not displaying the URL in the status bar.

Is it the same issue for the URL bar? If so, I'll be happy to relay the info to him - it'll certainly save him a lot of effort.

... and it would be great if Ziggy came on board. His LavaFox and BlackFox themes are second to none!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-10-31, 20:11

The issue is the same; it's the statusbar code that does this.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-31, 23:59

mgagnonlv wrote: Extensions for which current versions work with Pale Moon 27:
In addition to your list, these are Add-ons I use that seem to work correctly on Pale Moon portable Version 27.0.0b1 (x86). The four marked with a leading ‘**’ replaced add-ons which would not work in V. 27 (SDK useage, etc.). All of the others I think are the latest version of the add-on that will run on Pale Moon Version 26 (x86). I have not tested to see if later versions would run on Pale Moon Version 27 beta.

2 Pane Bookmarks 0.6.2013040601.1-signed
All-In-One Sidebar 0.7.20.1-signed
Clearly 10.2.1.7
Colorful Tabs 29.6
Colorlicious 1.2.1.1.-signed
Disconnect 3.15.3.1-signed.1-signed
DOM Inspector 2.0.16
Extended Statusbar 1.5.10
Find Button 1.0.4.1-signed
** FinderBar Tweak 1.2.3.1
Firebug 1.12.8
FireDiff 1.2.1.1-signed
Fireformat 1.0.1.1-signed
Font Finder 1.2.0
FoxClocks (Pseudo-static) 3.4.14-pm
InspectorWidget 4.04.20121231
Last tab close button 0.3.7.1-signed
Open Bookmarks in New Tab 0.1.2012122901.1-signed
Open With 5.6.3.1-signed
Quick Search Bar 4.17
Relentless Restart 9.1-signed
Run Application Button 1.1.1
Scrapbook X 1.13.1
** Screengrab (fix version) 0.99.06c
** SortPlaces 1.9.2B {And thank YOU for creating 1.9.2B. I see there is a .2C on Github, but no info on it}
SQLite Manager 0.8.3.1-signed
Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1
** uBlock Origin 1.9.16
wikipediav 1.0
WOT 20151208
Zoom Page 9.1.1-signed

More details on replacements for the three '**' that had SDK problems can be found in this thread:

Re: Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13466&p=96147#p96147

Harry

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-03, 13:48

Lootyhoof wrote:Might be worth relaying to him that this issue (the statusbar doubling) is a rather simple job - extract the statusbar folder from the default theme and place it in /browser.
Lootyhoof - can you give more details? Is this something I can do? Not sure what you mean and I'm not certain whether Ziggy understands, either. He's been sending me Stylish snippets to try.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-11-03, 21:19

Shadeclan wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote:Might be worth relaying to him that this issue (the statusbar doubling) is a rather simple job - extract the statusbar folder from the default theme and place it in /browser.
Lootyhoof - can you give more details? Is this something I can do? Not sure what you mean and I'm not certain whether Ziggy understands, either. He's been sending me Stylish snippets to try.
I've attached a zip direct from the default theme - if you could pass this on and request the folder within be added to /browser in Ziggy's themes, it should solve the issue. As an example, see the relevant commit of any of my themes, where this was applied (with some slight tweakage to account for different icon sizes).

Of course, he might want to add his own stylings depending if they work well or not in his themes (from an aesthetic standpoint, that is).

Do you know if his Stylish snippets work?
Attachments
statusbar.zip
(9.95 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-03, 21:23

Lootyhoof wrote:...Do you know if his Stylish snippets work?
Thanks for the response, Lootyhoof. They partly work. They eliminate the doubling but they make the URL look choppy, like it has parts of letters missing.

I will forward your zip file with your comments to Zig right away. He probably won't see it for a few hours - I believe he's over in northern Europe somewhere ... :D

... and ... it's done. I sent him a link to your post in case the zip file gets stripped off en-route. Thank you so much!

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-04, 14:35

Shadeclan wrote:... I will forward your zip file with your comments to Zig right away ...
Lootyhoof; Ziggy received the file you posted and extracted the "minimum code" to make his themes work. He had me add the changes to Stylish and the changes worked like magic! Here's the email:
Ziggy wrote: I isolated the minimum code to fix the URL issue.
Here it is, you can use in Stylish:

/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
* License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
* file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");

/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
* License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
* file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");
@namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");

/*
* Location bar status transisions
*/

#urlbar .urlbar-over-link-layer
{
opacity: 0;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="fade-in"],
#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="fade-in"] html|input.urlbar-input::-moz-placeholder
{
-moz-transition-property: color;
-moz-transition-duration: 150ms;
color: transparent;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="fade-out"],
#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="fade-out"] html|input.urlbar-input::-moz-placeholder
{
-moz-transition-property: color;
-moz-transition-timing-function: cubic-bezier(0.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="showing"],
#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer[overlinkstate="showing"] html|input.urlbar-input::-moz-placeholder
{
color: transparent;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-over-link-layer[overlinkstate="fade-in"]
{
-moz-transition-property: opacity;
opacity: 1;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-over-link-layer[overlinkstate="fade-out"]
{
}

#urlbar .urlbar-over-link-layer[overlinkstate="showing"]
{
opacity: 1;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer-children[overlinkstate="fade-in"]
{
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer-children[overlinkstate="fade-out"]
{
}

#urlbar .urlbar-input-layer-children[overlinkstate="showing"]
{
}

You may want to add all the code that is in those files or bigger chunks of it (can do trial & error), if you have other issues related to Statusbar (Status4Evar).
I'm not sure if there are any bugs with the status-bar, tested only the double text issue in the URL etc.

Anyway please let me know .. I may add this little code to support PaleMoon but first need to know what is really the minimum necessary .. seems great so far.

Best regards,

Ziggy
I did explain to Ziggy that the Status4Evar add-on is unnecessary in PaleMoon. Also, although I don't usually have any URLs in my status-bar, I added it in to make sure it worked. It works beautiful - think I'll keep it!

If any of you like dark themes and would like to show Ziggy some appreciation for his efforts in supporting PaleMoon Tycho, you can try out his LavaFox and BlackFox themes. They are beautifully done!

Thanks Lootyhoof for all your efforts! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-04, 17:20

Please be aware that Add Bookmark Here 2, which works with the current stable version of PaleMoon but not with PaleMoon Tycho also has the nasty property of disabling the History/Recently Closed Tabs and History/Recently Closed Windows functionality in Tycho. If you install Tycho and move your profile over, you should immediately disable this add-on...

... and install the updated add-on which JustOff just posted below :D
Last edited by Shadeclan on 2016-11-04, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-04, 18:50

I just updated original topic with a fix.