Better Placement of Add-on Link on Website?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Better Placement of Add-on Link on Website?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-10-14, 03:03

Suggestion: Instead of "burying" the link for the add-on page on the website under "Home" why not place it after "Feedback" (or anywhere on that menu) where it can be readily seen? A better placement may reduce the number of "Pale Moon 25 broke my add-on(s)" posts, which have already been fixed.
Untitled.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Better Placement of Add-on Link on Website?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 03:28

Wouldn't matter... The people who post those don't read anyway..

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-14, 07:58

The idea isn't bad still, at long as it makes things easier for enough people.
Btw, there are also a lot of people who don't even bother posting.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 08:00

If they don't post then we can't know what add-ons they use and can't accommodate them. It is their choice.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-14, 08:23

If all posted you probably couldn't monitor it anyway. And most probably have issues with things already reported.
Trying to make information clearer and easier to access for users is definitely not a secondary issue, and do not go against any principle. We can't expect every PM user to act the same way, e.g. a regular forum member.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 08:28

I have seen every post on this forum (though I can only read the English ones) that has been posted for the last 11 months
(Yay for pinned tabs and ReloadEvery 8-))

Besides it isn't up to me cause I don't run the main site..

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-14, 08:32

I only for the last 6 months, but these days it wouldn't have been possible if every users would have come on the forum asking... (I guess a good bunch came as visitors and read other's issue to understand theirs)
Slightly off-topic, but what's the advancement of a "Known compatible addons" thing ? This will help greatly when done, but it needs a lot of user feedback to get data.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-14, 11:08

@Tobin

I'm going to have to agree with Supernova's way of thinking. Right after "Tools", just add another heading titled, "Add-ons" and it'll cure lots of user's problems trying to find things about add-ons quickly. It just might reduce your message load of answering the same questions over and over and over thereby giving you more time to work on the things you want and need to work on for Pale Moon.

Speaking for myself, I don't like to "hunt" for things which aren't readily seen when I think they should be.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 14:09

Matt A Tobin wrote: Besides it isn't up to me cause I don't run the main site..

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-14, 15:00

Matt A Tobin wrote: Besides it isn't up to me cause I don't run the main site..
Then I hope Moonchild will think about this and give a definitive answer explaining his reasoning for his decision.

(When he has time since his plate is full right now)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-10-14, 15:32

People don't know how to use drop-down menus anymore? Anyway, addons are such an "essential" part of user's browsing experience that I think it should be made clearer. However I'm not sure how much it would help against "HELP! Addons don't do anything anymore!" posts. But with time things should settle down.

Sariel

Unread post by Sariel » 2014-10-14, 22:36

Changing the location would help with the ease of them being seen by the average user, which helps tremendously in actually keeping them interested, since its something other Gecko-based browsers don't have (besides the one that are Firefox-lite).

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-10-17, 04:06

I see that "Home" has been changed to "Main," but I still suggest that Add-ons have its own entry. I like Night Wing's suggestion, right after "Tools." :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-06, 23:23

Tobin, would you say that the add-ons site has matured enough by now to have a root-level link?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-02-07, 01:14

Yes I too believe this is a good move, even if add-on site isn't all that pretty. It shows that we aren't just talking, but walking the walk.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-07, 03:41

My opinion is that due to the menu complexity of each individual site.. Mainline, Linux, and Add-ons.. That having that Main menu item for subsites and having the add-ons site listed there is still the best option for useability..

HOWEVER, as a consolation concept to be put forth.. Maybe what we need is a top-bar global menu.. I dunno how that could be worked out in the current design though... This is how other sites including Binary Outcast, ZDNet, and less effectively, Mozilla, have dealt with it.

I think maybe a design refresh may be in order for all the Pale Moon sites.. Something I haven't quite been looking forward to suggesting.. I am sure that between the both of us Moonchild.. We could create something globally accommodating as well as maintain that distinctive and NON-COOKIE-CUTTER-FLAT-WHITE-SPACE-HUGE-THIN-FONT'd appearance that makes your current design awesome.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-10-21, 22:19

I gather this isn't actually so simple to do but, with PM 27 and it's impact on (some) extensions pending...

Could it be re-considered to give the Pale Moon Add-ons Site a link on the Main/Home page's menubar -- or something with equivalent visibility (short of a whole design refresh)? Even without subsite menu entries, just a link to the site. It's the most intuitive/expectible place where people who don't already know its location (and seek extension alternatives) will look for it. IMO.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-22, 15:24

There you go. All fixed up.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite