Hatred At Mozilla Forums

General discussion and chat (archived)

Moderator: satrow

11ryanc
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 188
Joined: 2013-11-19, 17:31
Location: Venus

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-07, 04:04

Matt A Tobin wrote:
11ryanc wrote:Apparently if you go against their whitelist, your automatically marked as a fanboy. Don't they show us how to NOT embrace professionalism? Way to go Mozillazine :thumbup:
Being marked as a "fanboy" is the LEAST of the consequences, I assure you.. More on that later :(
1 word: Wow. Yes I know their not directly in-twined with Mozilla Co, but I really wish Mozilla would jump on this and at least try and give them a good shake to start behaving less like a bunch of.....
From the sounds of it, I'm assuming they gave you the boot or something. Mind elaborating? Truthfully I'm getting sick of dealing with forums in general (Not this one of course).

mikeysc

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by mikeysc » 2014-09-07, 04:11

Zillerzine is just a user/fan site. It'd be like 1 or 2 of us setting up a palemooners.org site and then berating anybody that used Sumozi-like programs. (Not that we would behave that way.)

This site is official Moz Co though:
https://forums.mozilla.org/addons/index.php
I don't know why it seems to be addons only; maybe there is more but peons can't access it. (I kind of remember a Moz support forum several years ago and I don't think I'm confusing it with the 'zine site.)

For SeaMonkey, the project page says the main support route is newsgroup. Hard to believe they're still using that format but then it kind of seems appropriate for SM.

Another thing that I've noticed is MozDev.org, another unofficial site but with a quasi official bearing, is deader than a doornail. That hurts all the mozilla programs.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 6282
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 04:14

11ryanc wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote: Being marked as a "fanboy" is the LEAST of the consequences, I assure you.. More on that later :(
From the sounds of it, I'm assuming they gave you the boot or something. Mind elaborating?
I would prefer not to at this time.
Image
- the sun is a deadly laser -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

11ryanc
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 188
Joined: 2013-11-19, 17:31
Location: Venus

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-07, 04:18

mikeysc wrote:Zillerzine is just a user/fan site. It'd be like 1 or 2 of us setting up a palemooners.org site and then berating anybody that used Sumozi-like programs. (Not that we would behave that way.)

This site is official Moz Co though:
https://forums.mozilla.org/addons/index.php
I don't know why it seems to be addons only; maybe there is more but peons can't access it. (I kind of remember a Moz support forum several years ago and I don't think I'm confusing it with the 'zine site.)

For SeaMonkey, the project page says the main support route is newsgroup. Hard to believe they're still using that format but then it kind of seems appropriate for SM.

Another thing that I've noticed is MozDev.org, another unofficial site but with a quasi official bearing, is deader than a doornail. That hurts all the mozilla programs.
Well I still use Mozillazine for support/discussion regarding add-ons, but that's about it. Yes it would be cool to have an unofficial forum for PM users as we're apparently not welcomed by any means on that "other site"..

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 6282
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 07:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:
11ryanc wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote: Being marked as a "fanboy" is the LEAST of the consequences, I assure you.. More on that later :(
From the sounds of it, I'm assuming they gave you the boot or something. Mind elaborating?
I would prefer not to at this time.
Seems my attempt to do my job relating to the Addons site project has been deemed abuse at Mozillazine. As most of you may know I am in charge of the Addons site and part of that responsibility is to go and inform Addon developers about the recent GUID changes of Pale Moon so they can get addons to work out of the box by the time v25 ships.

The Problem: Some (a very small number) addons only offer support through threads at Mozillazine. Mozillazine has a history (due to a small minority largely consisting of a moderator by the username of LoudNoise) of subverting any dialog relating to Pale Moon.

For those addons that ONLY offer a support channel via Mozillazine I went and posted a request on three addon threads about the change and to request them to support Pale Moon directly.

For my trouble all but one post was deleted and the remaining one was split off and locked and moved into another category outside of the main flow of traffic. That post is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2866589 As you can see the title is intentionally misspelled to prevent easy searching "GRID" instead of "GUID" and our favorite mod made some disparaging comments afterward.

It seems my posts were deemed offtopic and I was banned from Mozillazine for a week with the message displayed by the board as:
Mozillazine wrote:Reason given for ban: Muliable ot posting in
I am shocked and dismayed at this latest treatment as I have been a member of that forum since 2005 and have never broken a rule there.

Regardless, beware! It has gotten to a point where anything related to Pale Moon may be punishable.
Image
- the sun is a deadly laser -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

access2godzilla

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by access2godzilla » 2014-09-07, 11:08

Oh, so that's why the mod can't name any of the things like "Pale Moon" and "GUID" without introducing a Levenshtein distance of 1 or 2. I initially used to think that it used to signify disrespect for our community.

BTW, is this an username ban or a simple IP ban?

Also: that has always been the Mozillazine policy. Even a bot could do this Pale Moon hating; however, on another note, some of the moderators over there should really quit showing a stance this aggressive.
Last edited by access2godzilla on 2014-09-08, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 4025
Joined: 2011-10-03, 10:19
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by Night Wing » 2014-09-07, 11:42

Matt A Tobin wrote:Seems my attempt to do my job relating to the Addons site project has been deemed abuse at Mozillazine. As most of you may know I am in charge of the Addons site and part of that responsibility is to go and inform Addon developers about the recent GUID changes of Pale Moon so they can get addons to work out of the box by the time v25 ships.

The Problem: Some (a very small number) addons only offer support through threads at Mozillazine. Mozillazine has a history (due to a small minority largely consisting of a moderator by the username of LoudNoise) of subverting any dialog relating to Pale Moon.

For those addons that ONLY offer a support channel via Mozillazine I went and posted a request on three addon threads about the change and to request them to support Pale Moon directly.

For my trouble all but one post was deleted and the remaining one was split off and locked and moved into another category outside of the main flow of traffic. That post is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2866589 As you can see the title is intentionally misspelled to prevent easy searching "GRID" instead of "GUID" and our favorite mod made some disparaging comments afterward.

It seems my posts were deemed offtopic and I was banned from Mozillazine for a week with the message displayed by the board as:
Mozillazine wrote:Reason given for ban: Muliable ot posting in
I am shocked and dismayed at this latest treatment as I have been a member of that forum since 2005 and have never broken a rule there.

Regardless, beware! It has gotten to a point where anything related to Pale Moon may be punishable.
I saw your post over there in that topic and saw the topic was locked. I did not realize your other posts were removed, but that's "par for the course" at Mozillazine. Like you, my post on a different topic was removed, but I only got a "warning" in a private message instead of a "ban".
Linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce 64 Bit (Default Distribution OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 Home Premium & Ultimate SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

User avatar
Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 221
Joined: 2014-06-03, 20:21
Location: UK

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by Trippynet » 2014-09-07, 11:58

Matt A Tobin wrote:As you can see the title is intentionally misspelled to prevent easy searching "GRID" instead of "GUID" and our favorite mod made some disparaging comments afterward.
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's intentional, or just plain lack of care. He always mis-wrote it in some of those earlier threads I had there from a couple of months back when it came up in idle passing. Of course, it's then laughable that he makes an (incorrect) dig at compatibility following this, when he doesn't even know the names of the terms involved.

Unfortunately, the fact is that it's impossible to even discuss or mention anything when you have a moderator who is belligerently ignorant.
Last edited by Trippynet on 2014-09-08, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 6282
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 18:54

This is no less than another attempt to directly block, interfere, subvert our abilities to operate freely.
Image
- the sun is a deadly laser -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

User avatar
Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 221
Joined: 2014-06-03, 20:21
Location: UK

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by Trippynet » 2014-09-07, 20:52

For what little good it does, I had a tiny, careful poke at them about the "GRID" issue in another thread there - whilst trying to make sure I avoid any excuse for them to ban me as well, and the thread title has at least been corrected for now, although I'm not sure which mod fixed it (probably not you-know-who...)

Try not to let them get to you. The work that yourself, Moonchild and everyone else with the PM project is doing is incredibly appreciated by many people that Mozilla have turned their backs on.

Edit: Was indeed actually LoudNoise that modified the title, so I stand corrected from my earlier claim.
Last edited by Trippynet on 2014-09-08, 07:53, edited 2 times in total.

JodyThornton
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 314
Joined: 2014-05-13, 11:40

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by JodyThornton » 2014-09-07, 22:38

See this is the sort of stuff that makes my blood pressure boil. I just want to tell "James" and Loud Noise" what useless pieces of condescending ---- they are. It actually makes me sick. James is like his pitbull coming to defend him. Their behaviour makes me sooooooo angry. Someone like Matt who would take his time to fork an x64 build of Pale Moon compatible with XP, (which to me is indicative of a personality that gives significantly of their time) is not of the sort of mindset to meddle or troll in other forums. I hate when good people get crapped on.

mikeysc

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by mikeysc » 2014-09-07, 22:45

Well, you just told them because Lewd Noise reads this; can tell from his comments. [He's calling Matt, Mark. :) Don't know if the guy is dyslexic or he thinks it's funny. Maybe we should buy him a copy of Dick & Jane so he can learn to read.]

User avatar
Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 221
Joined: 2014-06-03, 20:21
Location: UK

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by Trippynet » 2014-09-08, 07:46

mikeysc wrote:Well, you just told them because Lewd Noise reads this; can tell from his comments. [He's calling Matt, Mark. :) Don't know if the guy is dyslexic or he thinks it's funny. Maybe we should buy him a copy of Dick & Jane so he can learn to read.]
I'm well aware that they'll read this and I honestly don't care. LoudNoise can think whatever he likes. He repeatedly posts lies about me over there (Yes Mr Noise, the daft "fork" issue is a fib because you've yet to back it up with any proof, reason being that there isn't any), and uses every opportunity he can to have a snide dig at me - even in threads where I've deliberately kept my nose out. Other than that, they can be as unpleasant as they like and I really don't care. Well, some of them can be unpleasant anyway. I have no quarrel with James, DanRaisch or quite a few others there because they've generally been courteous and fair in my personal experience.

Interestingly, it was LN that corrected the GUID issue after all, so maybe that was just a genuine mistake. Who knows...

JodyThornton
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 314
Joined: 2014-05-13, 11:40

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by JodyThornton » 2014-09-08, 17:59

Hmmm, I've seen James get a bit "off". Nonetheless, I received a private message from Loud Noise last night. Basically he said that I can still post there despite the warning. It almost seemed a bit eerie to me. That was basically all that was said. But it almost feels as if he's baiting a trap. Obviously he's reading over here now.

Oh well.

leegb11

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by leegb11 » 2014-09-08, 18:14

I just would not go there - if there is a great thing with PM its a superb browser with support on the forum which is second to none.
Ask a question it gets a solution fast.
How MC and team do it is superb.

JodyThornton
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 314
Joined: 2014-05-13, 11:40

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by JodyThornton » 2014-09-08, 18:22

Sounds like terrific advice. If I want assistance with SeaMonkey, there are places to fetch it. Otherwise, I'm really happy with the direction Pale Moon is going. I'm alternating between this version and the new v25 beta (so far so good)

11ryanc
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 188
Joined: 2013-11-19, 17:31
Location: Venus

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-08, 18:46

JodyThornton wrote:Sounds like terrific advice. If I want assistance with SeaMonkey, there are places to fetch it. Otherwise, I'm really happy with the direction Pale Moon is going. I'm alternating between this version and the new v25 beta (so far so good)
The less time spent Mozillazine, the fewer headaches. About PM 25, seems stable enough. Maybe even a bit faster, however there are some addons I need that are currently broken with it's new GUID. Hopefully those few can be fixed, I really don't rely on a whole lot of extensions. A few are vital though.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 6282
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-08, 19:58

Off-topic:
Given that we have had years of 1:1 addon compatibility and Mozilla went over 2 years without much of any (breaking everything every 6 weeks) This major change to Pale Moon that will cause these addon issues is way more understandable (though inconvenient I know) but all shall be resolved in time and with your help.
Image
- the sun is a deadly laser -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

User avatar
Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 221
Joined: 2014-06-03, 20:21
Location: UK

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by Trippynet » 2014-09-08, 20:25

@JodyThornton: I can only speak from my own experiences, and yours may of course differ.

Although I do regularly visit MozillaZine (because I am interested in FF development and direction), I rarely post there these days. Their approach is a strange one. Sometimes they go for the obvious trap by trying to bait people into a reaction, other times they can be quite forgiving - but mainly if some of their longer-standing members fancy a strong debate/argument/mud-flinging session. I've deliberately avoided the re-opened Tobin thread for that very reason as they're just looking for an argument there. I did try to get the off-topic crap shifted away from it so it could be a clear thread about the GUID change, but LN has decided to ignore that rule of the forum this time around (unsurprisingly).

As for addons, perhaps a PM or e-mail to the developers of incompatible extensions might be a better way of avoiding their wrath whilst helping to improve PM compatibility. I've looked over the Mozilla addons page and unfortunately communication options with the developers of them seem pretty limited, unless the developers specifically provide a support e-mail address.

sqelch7
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 30
Joined: 2014-04-30, 04:36
Location: USA

Re: Hatred At Mozilla Forums

Post by sqelch7 » 2014-09-15, 21:55

This topic is too polite. Is everyone pretending the Brendan Eich incident never happened? The Mozillaziod culture is one of typically crude, totalitarian, Leftist [redundancy] speech and thought control.

Locked