Support for the WebP picture format

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Robert2

Support for the WebP picture format

Post by Robert2 » 2014-04-21, 07:00

Will Pale Moon ever support the WebP picture format (“.webp” pictures)? What is the WebP Codec for Windows?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Support for the WebP picture format

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-21, 10:18

Google trying to force their hand and trying to take over pictures now? Heh.

I don't see a reason to support it (certainly not at this time). Pale Moon already supports all commonly used web image formats. Pale Moon is a web browser, not an image viewer.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

jumba

Post by jumba » 2014-04-21, 10:22

What is the advantage of this format?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-21, 11:58

The only real advantages I can see are smaller file size (in terms of web graphics this is not really a limiting factor these days, not at 20% improvement at any rate), and an improvement over animated GIFs.

The disadvantages, however:
  • Very slow encoding speed (factor 10 or more!).
  • Slow decoding speed, significantly so compared to high-speed jpeg libs.
  • As far as I have found, it's a proprietary format, even if the implementation is Open Source. This could lead to problems down the road (remember Compuserve?). I haven't been able to find a licensing document or any clear information on the Google WebP pages outlining the licensing of the format.
  • The terrible misconception in lossy compression that PSNR (peak signal to noise ratio) should be the main focus has been carried over from the video streaming format it is based on. I've compared WebP with the original PNG and lossy JPG encodings with similar quality, and the WebP image is terrible in comparison if you look at details. Perceptually, WebP is a horrible format - and the perceptual representation is what matters.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-21, 12:15

Nice one. Seems RGB-SSIM is the only metric where WebP wins in terms of file size at equal quality, which is obviously (for me at least) not a good metric for perceptual clarity. "Averaged" color values are apparently not a good measure?

Snappy Phoenix

Post by Snappy Phoenix » 2014-04-21, 13:46

Moonchild wrote:Pale Moon is a web browser, not an image viewer.
ROFLMAO! agreed!

that comment gave me the biggest laugh this morning :thumbup:

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by lyceus » 2014-04-26, 01:52

I don't trust in formats that I cannot edit with a paint program. So since you can edit them, this format is the Flash of the image formats: Closed, only one player available, buggy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-26, 09:20

If webmasters want to use WebP, they already can, with a simple JS script. Why? Because Pale Moon supports WebM video and it can be decoded by converting the img into a video element (WebP is like a video keyframe in WebM). So, it's not even a separate format, and it's taken from a streaming format which by definition is going to be at a disadvantage compared to what is designed as a still format - hence the perceptual quality loss, I gather.

JS: http://antimatter15.com/wp/2010/10/wepp ... refox-4-0/
Been around since Firefox 4, and WebP has not seen any sort of wider adoption since then - also an indicator.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2014-04-26, 09:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typoes. I need coffee.

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by lyceus » 2014-04-27, 03:29

Moonchild wrote:Last edited by Moonchild on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typoes. I need coffee.
I vote for a coffee cup icon in the forum! :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-28, 08:20

Off-topic:
Added! :coffee:

Code: Select all

:coffee: