imgur.com entries not working

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
User avatar
Orchid
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 2020-08-14, 14:28

imgur.com entries not working

Post by Orchid » 2020-08-14, 14:37

Since a few days I can't see imgur entries anymore.
Homepage is ok, but when I click an entry I only see a dark screen.
PM version is 28.11.
Tried PM 28.12 and Waterfox 2020.07.2 on a test machine, both are not working.
With Firefox 79.0 all is fine.

Any ideas?

User avatar
therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2018-06-08, 17:02

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by therube » 2020-08-14, 22:19

Confirmed.
URL: https://imgur.com/gallery/r2X2slk

Code: Select all

ReferenceError: ResizeObserver is not defined
Stack trace:
n@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/gallery.81b7f223654ac37114c7.bundle.js:1:337836
wi@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:49462
Ua@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:66913
bu@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:105322
...

ReferenceError: ResizeObserver is not defined
Stack trace:
n@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/gallery.81b7f223654ac37114c7.bundle.js:1:337836
wi@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:49462
Ua@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:66913
bu@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:105322
...

Unhandled promise rejection ReferenceError: ResizeObserver is not defined
Stack trace:
n@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/gallery.81b7f223654ac37114c7.bundle.js:1:337836
wi@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:49462
Ua@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:66913
bu@https://s.imgur.com/desktop-assets/js/main.c259138c99da6fbca9de.js:87:105322
...

Unhandled promise rejection Error: invalid keyPath
Stack trace:
[object Object]

Add SeaMonkey to the non-working list.

Does not look to be a UA issue.

User avatar
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 646
Joined: 2017-03-23, 19:56

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by badnick » 2020-08-15, 04:54

Same here!
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

User avatar
athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer
Posts: 406
Joined: 2018-10-28, 19:56
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by athenian200 » 2020-08-15, 05:46

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... zeObserver

It's a new CSS feature that was implemented in Firefox 69, and we don't yet appear to support it. There's actually been a lot of these lately. I'm trying to get more comfortable working with the CSS stuff, but it seems like they keep piling on the new standards faster than I can figure out how to implement or deal with the existing ones.
"The rising sun will eventually set / A newborn's life will fade. / From sun to moon, moon to sun... / Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 30216
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-15, 08:57

Status: Editor's Draft (not even working draft)

Why is a major website like imgur using this without a fallback?
Have they learned nothing from operating imgur for years? Or do they not care?
In the latter case, I suggest packing up your bags and moving to another site like https://imgbb.com/ as an alternative image hosting site if you need one.

Of course patches are welcome, too. I doubt it's going to be terribly complex to implement this.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
hawkeye116477
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2020-02-01, 16:29

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by hawkeye116477 » 2020-08-15, 09:46

Just go to https://imgur.com/beta/disable and it will start working fine again.

User avatar
Orchid
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 2020-08-14, 14:28

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Orchid » 2020-08-15, 12:42

A big thank you to all of you guys.

@Moonchild
That seems to be a nice site for uploading images.
Thx for the link.

@hawkeye116477
That does the trick, thank you very much!

User avatar
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 646
Joined: 2017-03-23, 19:56

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by badnick » 2020-08-15, 12:45

hawkeye116477 wrote:
2020-08-15, 09:46
Just go to https://imgur.com/beta/disable and it will start working fine again.
Indeed.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 30216
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-16, 11:01

Orchid wrote:
2020-08-15, 12:42
That does the trick, thank you very much!
Keep in mind it's a workaround until their "public beta" becomes the only way available.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
Orchid
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 2020-08-14, 14:28

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Orchid » 2020-08-16, 16:12

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-16, 11:01
Keep in mind it's a workaround until their "public beta" becomes the only way available.
Right, but maybe until then there's a patch?
I think I'm not the only Pale Moon user who like to see that imgur stuff.
And if not I quit using imgur, not Pale Moon...

User avatar
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3276
Joined: 2015-12-09, 15:45
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-17, 07:20

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-15, 08:57
Status: Editor's Draft (not even working draft)

Why is a major website like imgur using this without a fallback?
Have they learned nothing from operating imgur for years? Or do they not care?
Used to be that once you built a functioning website, there wasn't anything else to change other than maybe applying security patches for the server itself. Chrome has now become a make work program for web developers with a new change every week just because.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Image
Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 30216
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-18, 09:46

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-17, 07:20
Chrome has now become a make work program for web developers with a new change every week just because.
I disagree. There is no reason for web designers to implement every single new Chrome feature at all. It does not make their site better and Chrome won't stop working with the "old" code just because another new API was piled on. The only "make work" factor here is by web designers themselves, potentially to try and "look busy" for management.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2018-06-08, 17:02

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by therube » 2020-08-18, 15:21

Currently, imgur is failing, failing to display images, in multiple browsers.
(Sample URL: https://imgur.com/gallery/r2X2slk)
(Yes, I have seen, https://imgur.com/beta/disable, but that would seem to only be a temporary work-around.)

Current SeaMonkey, https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
Current Pale Moon, https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml
Current Waterfox /Classic/, https://www.waterfox.net/download/
(I don't know about Waterfox "Current".)

Thank you.
-Steven
Aug 17, 2020
Thank you for writing in and bringing this to our attention. I apologize for any hassle or inconvenience that this may have caused.

We are currently looking into a possible cause and a solution for this. A bug report has been documented and is currently under review by the team. We hope to have a fix soon.

Best,
Martyn
Senior Support Specialist, Imgur

User avatar
mweishaar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 2019-07-04, 14:35

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by mweishaar » 2020-08-22, 17:28

First off, thanks for the workaround link, that works for me now.
I browse imgur for finding amusing things, not for hosting images, so I really do like perusing it.

The first thing I did when I found it was broken was test it on different browsers.
Palemoon is my default, and has been for years.
I have firefox-esr installed as a backup.
Chromium is my 3rd backup.
I rarely actually need the backups. :D

Firefox-esr (68.11) fails in the same way.
Chromium (83.0.4103.116) was fine.
So I filed a bug report with Imgur. I haven't heard anything back besides their auto-response.

It's clearly a bug on their site, so I hope they got and continue to get thousands of bug reports.

User avatar
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3276
Joined: 2015-12-09, 15:45
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-23, 04:05

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-18, 09:46
There is no reason for web designers to implement every single new Chrome feature at all.
Job security ;)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Image
Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 30216
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-23, 10:05

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-23, 04:05
Job security ;)
Not if you make it so complex the company starts getting complaints about the design.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1325
Joined: 2015-09-08, 22:54
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by Isengrim » 2020-08-31, 10:48

I found another (for now) workaround on a related BMO issue for SeaMonkey. The new design is (so far) not being used on "a" pages. Switch from "gallery" to "a" and it works.

Obviously this is only temporary until either UXP implements ResizeObserver or Imgur fixes their crappy site. But I fear that soon Imgur won't be the only site doing this.
Off-topic:
I'm surprised they haven't gotten more complaints about this breaking in FF ESR.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

User avatar
adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1277
Joined: 2017-06-06, 07:38

Re: imgur.com entries not working

Post by adesh » 2020-08-31, 11:01

Off-topic:
Isengrim wrote:
2020-08-31, 10:48
I'm surprised they haven't gotten more complaints about this breaking in FF ESR.
Nobody uses Firefox ESR. It may mostly be used in a business or work setting. Those people may not use Imgur too much, and everyone keeps a copy of Crome anyway for such difficult times.

User avatar
disallowedword
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 2
Joined: 2020-09-02, 06:15

Imgur – loads, but then disappears.

Post by disallowedword » 2020-09-02, 06:27

Moderator note: merged topics.

I've tested it with two random Reddit posts:
1. When I have a direct link to image, it works: https://i.imgur.com/0JfkipE.gif
2. When the link is to imgur page with this image instead – like there: https://imgur.com/fDiC4Mn – it doesn't.

The second case looks like this:
1. New tab opens;
2. I see imgur interface loading up, including the top strip with logo, search field and buttons. Here's a blue indicator of loading under that;
3. Then – Bam – the interface is gone, and all I see is a blank field of imgur's bg color.

I disabled adblock and any plugins that could've affected it. I use Palemoon v28.12.0 (2020-08-04).

User avatar
Angsaar
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018-08-24, 04:10

Re: Imgur – loads, but then disappears.

Post by Angsaar » 2020-09-02, 14:16

disallowedword wrote:
2020-09-02, 06:27
Moderator note: merged topics.

I've tested it with two random Reddit posts:
1. When I have a direct link to image, it works: https://i.imgur.com/0JfkipE.gif
2. When the link is to imgur page with this image instead – like there: https://imgur.com/fDiC4Mn – it doesn't.

The second case looks like this:
1. New tab opens;
2. I see imgur interface loading up, including the top strip with logo, search field and buttons. Here's a blue indicator of loading under that;
3. Then – Bam – the interface is gone, and all I see is a blank field of imgur's bg color.

I disabled adblock and any plugins that could've affected it. I use Palemoon v28.12.0 (2020-08-04).
What you're describing is exactly what started happening to me yesterday(sep 1st). Also using v28.12.0 and made sure to disable adguard when I tested.

Locked