YouTube comments are not loaded

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SenDion
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

YouTube comments are not loaded

Post by SenDion » 2020-06-21, 05:47

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 1
Pale Moon: desktop 32 bits, ver. 28.10.0
Problem: Youtube comments are not loaded, just a ring rotates on and on (not necessarily a bug in Pale Moon).
How to reproduce: go to any page with a clip, e.g. here. Scroll down to "Comment" section.
Expected result: A ring rotates, while comments are loaded. Then, the ring vanishes and comments magically appear.
Actual result: A ring rotates forever.
Additional information: The workaround is to remove all youtube.com cookies. I applied this workaround and got the comments. Unfortunately, on the next day I was back at square one: YouTube comments were not loading. I applied this workaround again, and got comments. After few days, I was back at square one: YouTube comments were not loading. This time, I removed __Secure-3PSID cookie, and got comments. It is not very convenient to apply the workaround several times a week.
Question: Is there a better workaround or solution?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: YouTube comments are not loaded

Post by Night Wing » 2020-06-21, 09:48

After reading your comments, I clicked on the link which you provided (thank you for that) and it took me to the page where the commentator (Better Living With Linux) was discussing the Pale Moon browser running in the Manjaro linux distro.

Scrolling on down to the comments section, the ring rotates for a split second (for me) and the comments are then seen. At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.10.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce. The only extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin with UBO enabled.

In my opinion, the problem is not with Pale Moon. The problem is on your end someplace. I say this because I visit YouTube (with the new interface) everyday doing research (presently looking at surfboards and browsers). I never have any problems with the comments section because I do look at the comments on every page I look at, looking for the pros and cons for the subject I'm doing research on.
Linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-06-21, 10:35

Also unable to reproduce on a similar set-up to the OP's (the only difference being 64-bit Pale Moon).
If you are using any privacy extensions, cookie handling extensions, or if you are e.g. blocking a certain type of cookie in preferences, then that is most likely the cause.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-06-21, 12:03

Are you forcing the Materal-based YouTube ("old YouTube" version served by telling it we are Firefox 42-61 by UA Override) or Polymer v1 based YouTube (Not-the-newest-but-called-new-youtube-by-users served by telling it we are Firefox 62 by current default UA Override)?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by coffeebreak » 2020-06-21, 14:10

Comments load fine here with both old (Material-based) YouTube forced,
and with Polymer v1-based YouTube (using the default YT override).

Edit:
And to add... I did not delete any cookies during any of the multiple instances of testing (except when switching between Material and Polymer v1 to start fresh).
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2020-06-21, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.

Sessh
Moon lover
Moon lover

Post by Sessh » 2020-06-21, 14:49

When I was using the old Youtube, this would occasionally happen where the comments wouldn't load. It seemed to happen more often on newer Joe Rogan Experience videos for some reason and I could load up another video from the sidebar and comments load immediately, but this has never happened while using the new layout.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Moonraker » 2020-06-21, 16:41

half of the comments are waffle anyway so blocking them is not such a bad thing. :D
Xenial puppy linux 32-bit.

Pale moon 28.9.3

Goodydino
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by Goodydino » 2020-06-21, 17:15

I just noticed that comments are not loading. They used to load, but YouTube keeps changing its interface. Why keep fixing something that works?

SGvagon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by SGvagon » 2020-06-21, 18:38

I am still using old design an yes, sometimes releated videos on the right side and comments not load. But after refresh the page all loads perfectly. I think there is something issue on the Google side.

christian
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Post by christian » 2020-06-22, 14:25

SenDion wrote:
2020-06-21, 05:47
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 1
Pale Moon: desktop 32 bits, ver. 28.10.0
Problem: Youtube comments are not loaded, just a ring rotates on and on (not necessarily a bug in Pale Moon).
How to reproduce: go to any page with a clip, e.g. here. Scroll down to "Comment" section.
Expected result: A ring rotates, while comments are loaded. Then, the ring vanishes and comments magically appear.
Actual result: A ring rotates forever.
Additional information: The workaround is to remove all youtube.com cookies. I applied this workaround and got the comments. Unfortunately, on the next day I was back at square one: YouTube comments were not loading. I applied this workaround again, and got comments. After few days, I was back at square one: YouTube comments were not loading. This time, I removed __Secure-3PSID cookie, and got comments. It is not very convenient to apply the workaround several times a week.
Question: Is there a better workaround or solution?
This is happening very often these days, you should use this greasemonkey script to fix that "the most efficient script to bring back youtube full description" (short name huh?) youcan also see other installed "youtube restore show more button":
Screenshot_2.jpg
I'm using this because is much more simpler that others on greasemonkey (less code), also you should use some other to restore back the old youtube's style 8-) .

SenDion
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by SenDion » 2020-06-28, 03:44

Night Wing wrote:
2020-06-21, 09:48
The problem is on your end someplace.
Based on the responses from other members of this community (thank you for the support), it seems so. The question is how to localize the problem?
Moonchild wrote:
2020-06-21, 10:35
If you are using any privacy extensions, cookie handling extensions, or if you are e.g. blocking a certain type of cookie in preferences, then that is most likely the cause.
I am not using privacy extensions, or cookie handling extensions. As for blocking a certain type of cookie, I have the following settings:

Code: Select all

Main menu : 
  Tools : 
    Preferences :
      Privacy :
        History :
          Allow sites to store cookies and data :
            Exceptions : empty
            Accept third-party cookies and data: Never  # tried to change this setting to "Always" to no avail
            Keep until : they expire
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-06-21, 12:03
Are you forcing the Materal-based YouTube ("old YouTube" version served by telling it we are Firefox 42-61 by UA Override) or Polymer v1 based YouTube (Not-the-newest-but-called-new-youtube-by-users served by telling it we are Firefox 62 by current default UA Override)?
No override of general.useragent.override.youtube.com:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/28.10.0
SGvagon wrote:
2020-06-21, 18:38
I am still using old design an yes, sometimes releated videos on the right side and comments not load. But after refresh the page all loads perfectly. I think there is something issue on the Google side.
I tried refreshing the page to no avail.

SGvagon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by SGvagon » 2020-06-28, 11:32

I am using this useragent

general.useragent.override.youtube.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.10.0
It switched you on old design when you are not logged in.
For allow old design on log in state you must use this script for Grease Monkey https://greasyfork.org/cs/scripts/39405 ... er-disable . For me is only work Subscription page and Video page. Google slowly switching all accounts to Polymer design :| .

Goodydino
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by Goodydino » 2020-06-28, 20:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-06-21, 12:03
The current default override is using FF 60 (unless Windows is using a different version), which works.

Ziko577
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by Ziko577 » 2020-06-30, 03:51

SGvagon wrote:
2020-06-28, 11:32
I am using this useragent

general.useragent.override.youtube.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.10.0
It switched you on old design when you are not logged in.
For allow old design on log in state you must use this script for Grease Monkey https://greasyfork.org/cs/scripts/39405 ... er-disable . For me is only work Subscription page and Video page. Google slowly switching all accounts to Polymer design :| .
I switched earlier to that user agent and with the Polymer Disable script it fixed most of the site for me. I also use two other scripts on that design so that's a plus. I had it on 40.0 but earlier tonight it served the new layout which is hideous to look at but I noticed it wasn't as laggy so that may be a sign perhaps they're working on making it more stable on non-Chromium based browsers? I just also realized that when you do searches and go to the homepage, it's in the new layout! This is just odd. The good news is that the search page is loading with no lag anymore on the new layout so that's a plus but the big thumbnails are just dumb. I never visit the homepage these days so I don't care as much about that one.

rseiler
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Post by rseiler » 2020-06-30, 05:46

Yeah, same here: as of tonight, new design despite using the old id string.

But the script mentioned a few posts up fixed me up (Subscriptions page and video page, all I really care about), and I threw in the one for full descriptions, too, as that was annoying. Thanks, and now let's see how long this lasts.

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-06-30, 06:26

(Blatant self promotion time) - those of you who keep tweaking useragent overrides, do give PermissionsPlus a try!
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

SenDion
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by SenDion » 2020-07-01, 07:11

Night Wing wrote:
The problem is on your end someplace.
I created a new Pale Moon profile (you may read more information here). There are 2 outcomes:
  1. I can reproduce the problem with the default profile
  2. I cannot reproduce the problem with the new profile.
This experiment confirms that the problem is lurking somewhere in the default profile.

How to pinpoint the problem in the default profile?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-07-01, 07:21

Check whether your user agent override for Youtube is the default or has been changed - open about:config in a new tab, accept the warning, and search for general.useragent.override.youtube.com. If it is shown in bold text, it has been changed, and you can reset it from the rightclick menu.

If this doesn't work, disable any adblocking/user agent spoofing extensions and try again.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

BookMark
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Post by BookMark » 2020-07-02, 06:52

moonbat wrote:
2020-06-30, 06:26
(Blatant self promotion time) - those of you who keep tweaking useragent overrides, do give PermissionsPlus a try!
I like this - just installed it - having the settings all in one place is great.

SenDion
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: YouTube comments are not loaded: troubleshooting update

Post by SenDion » 2020-07-03, 05:22

Night Wing wrote:
the problem is not with Pale Moon
I just added one more scenario to the list:
  1. I can reproduce the problem with the default profile.
  2. I cannot reproduce the problem with the new profile.
  3. I cannot reproduce the problem with the default profile if I am logged to gMail.
Based on the scenario no. 3, one may speculate that there is nothing wrong with the default profile. And I am back to square one. :(

When you tried to reproduce this problem:
  1. Did you check that you are not logged in to gMail or any Google service?
  2. Did you wait at least 24hr after the previous attempt to reproduce the problem?
  3. Did you check the cookies setting: keep until they expire?
Please, pass these questions to Pale Moon developers that responded earlier to this thread.

moonbat wrote:
2020-07-01, 07:21
Check whether your user agent override for Youtube is the default or has been changed
It has the default value:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/28.10.0
moonbat wrote:
2020-07-01, 07:21
If this doesn't work, disable any adblocking/user agent spoofing extensions and try again.
There are no extensions:

Main menu :
  Tools :
     Add-ons : 
      Extensions : You don't have any add-ons of this type installed
Last edited by SenDion on 2020-07-03, 06:02, edited 3 times in total.