Palemoon Optimal Linux Distro other than Xubuntu

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cosmo666

Palemoon Optimal Linux Distro other than Xubuntu

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2020-05-23, 17:32

Moderator: If this is inappropriate for this forum, please delete.

I assume Palemoon will run on most distros, but more interested in Palemoon community recommendations for an XFCE-friendly, Linux distro alternative to Xubuntu. Must be "systemd/snapd free". Thanks for any suggestions.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Palemoon Optimal Linux Distro other than Xubuntu

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-23, 18:45

Puppy linux is systemd free.It uses the JWM window manager and runs in ram.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-05-23, 19:23

Salix is a user-friendly Slackware-based Linux. Disadvantages can come sometimes with the package management. Also, you don't get the current software as quickly, as it has to be tested first. Four years ago, I went properly online with a Pentium 3 thanks to Salix 14.1, now Salix 14.2 makes my 10 year old netbook perform very well.
Salixscreen.png

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-05-23, 20:55

I use Devuan (not with Xfce, but Mate) and Pale Moon runs great on it. I would use Xfce (or at least consider it) if there was a way to have each individual folder use whatever view I want, instead of one global setting for all folders.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-23, 21:00

Pale Moon's generic binaries should run equally well on all standard Linux distros. You don't need a special distro for it. Just pick one you like best.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-05-24, 03:02

antiX is entirely systemd free, and it's easy to install XFCE on it, while MX Linux comes with a nice customized XFCE by default, plus boots without systemd by default but allows for a systemd boot if necessary.

Both maintain natively built Pale Moon packages in their repos, courtesy of yrs. truly.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-05-25, 18:21

Restricting yourself to distros without systemd means you won't be getting an optimal Linux experience, either for Pale Moon or for XFCE. The best compromise given that you want a distro without systemd that works well with XFCE out of the box might be Void Linux.

https://voidlinux.org/download/

The optimal distro for XFCE would probably be Manjaro, but... well, that uses systemd.

https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/xfce/

However, the optimal XFCE distro and the optimal distro for Pale Moon aren't even one and the same.

I'd say the optimal Linux distro for Pale Moon itself would probably be CentOS, since that's the main version of Linux they compile and test Pale Moon with. Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle Linux, and Fedora would be good choices as well, since all of those are based on RHEL to varying degrees. Actually, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is something of a "standard" for Linux, so something based on it would be an optimal Linux distro for a lot of purposes, not just Pale Moon. That is likely part of why they build and test on CentOS... it's basically the open-source portion of RHEL for free, but without the instability and involuntary beta testing that often comes with using Fedora.

https://www.centos.org/download/

It's worth noting that we have a Debian maintainer who ensures that the browser works well on Debian, and that means you're pretty well covered on popular distributions like Mint and Ubuntu as well. So it works well with almost all the popular Linux distributions. The only ones I could imagine you having a problem with would be something less mainstream like maybe Gentoo since that isn't as standardized and we don't have as many people who use it.

Putting aside RHEL being the elephant in the room when it comes to Linux and gold standards for a moment. My recommendation for Linux would probably be Oracle Linux if you're using it for a server (it's available to deploy free of charge like CentOS, you can buy support from Oracle if you need it, and they have enterprise/government-grade cryptographic certifications like RHEL), Linux Mint if you're using it for a general desktop and you're new (it's very beginner-friendly), and Manjaro if you're using it for gaming (it has Steam preinstalled). Then again, I would probably recommend the same things whether it was for Pale Moon or not.
Off-topic:
I should probably mention that I myself usually run none of these anymore because I prefer Oracle Solaris and OpenIndiana these days.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-05-25, 20:33

cosmo666 wrote:
2020-05-23, 17:32
Must be "systemd/snapd free".
A good contender no one mentioned - Devuan. I don't use it myself but it may be my next choice when the current setup gives up.
athenian200 wrote:
2020-05-25, 18:21
Restricting yourself to distros without systemd means you won't be getting an optimal Linux experience, either for Pale Moon or for XFCE.
Off-topic:
I don't agree with that statement, although I use Arch Linux which is systemd based and has no other option. I think what you mean is having easier life and getting more support. You can choose not to reply if we're on the same page. I prefer less noise in the world!

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-05-26, 09:57

athenian200 wrote:
Restricting yourself to distros without systemd means you won't be getting an optimal Linux experience, either for Pale Moon or for XFCE.
Hogwash.

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-05-29, 12:09

It's always a question of the hardware, that is available. I'm writing here on a single core CPU from 2002 with the current Pale Moon on Linux Mint 18.2 (some years old). Of course it's not the super sharp speedy experience, because the CPU and the GPU (a non-cooled TNT2) are too weak. But Pale Moon is a very good tool to do everything online, what your computer is capable of. The Linux distribution just has to fit your hardware.

The old SysV systems seem to be slower on booting than the new systemd on the same hardware. But on the other hand, if you have an SSD, everything is fast. The next question would be, if it has to be super perfectly quick. All I can say is from my experience, that the old systems run well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-29, 19:46

Moonbird wrote:
2020-05-29, 12:09
The old SysV systems seem to be slower on booting than the new systemd on the same hardware.
I honestly don't even understand why this is essential for desktops. Are you constantly rebooting your pc? do you really need minimal downtime when you reboot like a high-availability server?...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-05-30, 03:00

Agree--unless your machine has trouble with suspending or hibernating. My two laptops do both well in Linux, so the only time I reboot is after a kernel upgrade...which admittedly is pretty often, what with me building and testing backported Debian and Liquorix kernels for MX, plus upgrades in our video driver stack. If I didn't have to do that, my uptimes would be much longer.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-30, 04:36

I only reboot if there's a kernel upgrade pending. Hibernation/suspend is the way to go for a non server Linux installation (and servers aren't rebooted frequently either).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-05-30, 06:40

Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-29, 19:46
Are you constantly rebooting your pc?
Off-topic:
Recently I had an up time of 101 days. My another best time was 120 days last year. Previously I used to reboot every day, sometimes multiple times a day, but I have changed that habit starting 2019. Even Pale Moon is kept open for weeks without restarting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-30, 09:59

Even -if- you reboot regularly, do those 10 extra seconds matter? Take another sip of coffee and it's done.

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-05-30, 11:31

A Windows 98 machine I worked with took 2 minutes to compile a heap of programming code. Time for the tea then! So slower computers can be integrated well in a working process.