Question about 'Unresponsive script' prompts

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Question about 'Unresponsive script' prompts

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-15, 00:15

When a page causes PM to freeze and show up a script not responding dialog, what does the 'don't show me again' option imply here - don't show me the warning again for this particular script, or don't show me any further script warnings during this browsing session, or don't warn me about unresponsive scripts ever again?

Also, is this related to not using separate processes per tab as in Chrome/Firefox, i.e. would those browsers also slow down/freeze or just the problematic tab? Haven't used those for daily browsing in more than 5 years.

I've seen this warning show if I resume my LInux laptop from hibernation while PM had been left running - it takes simply ages to stop churning the disk and by the time it reaches a usable state, I find the warning's popped up while PM was trying to load the last displayed page (depends on the page, Facebook will often cause this). The laptop also has just 4GB RAM so I'm guessing that's what takes time to load and cause script timeouts. I get around by closing PM before hibernating it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question about 'Unresponsive script' prompts

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-15, 02:54

It means "don't show me again for this page load". If not checked and left to continue, it would pop up again if it's -still- unresponsive after the timeout expires again.

As for multi-process: if a tab script hangs up the process, the tab and any tab the content process shares with it will hang (since they did realize that spawning a process for each individual tab was insanity). The UI may still respond to input but that doesn't mean that input will actually be passed down or processed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-01-15, 06:05

About how much RAM is PM using when you hibernate?
Sounds like it has spooled out to disk (I only use sleep, on desktop), & is simply taking time to load back into memory.

SSD or HDD?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-15, 10:08

therube wrote:
2020-01-15, 06:05
About how much RAM is PM using when you hibernate?
Sounds like it has spooled out to disk (I only use sleep, on desktop), & is simply taking time to load back into memory.

SSD or HDD?
HDD. It's a shitty i5 laptop around 5 years old. Usually it says around 1.2 or 1.3 GB physical out of a total of 4. Takes ages both to hibernate and resume if I don't close PM first.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-15, 13:40

Getting a faster HDD than what's in it (it's probably bottom of the barrel) will probably help with your spin-up time after hibernating. It sounds like your memory use is normally pretty low and Pale Moon being the only big program running, so it'll have considerably more work to do swapping all that memory out to disk on hibernation/swapping back in on resume. A basic SSD would probably be what you'd want.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-16, 00:57

I left my beefy 16 GB i7 desktop with twin SSDs behind in India when I emigrated :(
This laptop is on its last legs physically - the side hinge and the monitor is cracked, I'm just stuck with it while looking for a job - in fact I replaced Windows 10 with Mint because it could barely run with Windows. Have to grin and bear it until I can replace it with something better.