Add support for user mentions?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: satrow, FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Add support for user mentions?

Post by moonbat » 2019-09-03, 07:14

There's a phpBB plugin for that. It would be easier to draw a user's attention on a thread rather than having to quote the whole or part of a post, especially if that person wasn't in the thread in question. Though I dunno, Moonchild may get the most of the mentions :)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Re: Add support for user mentions?

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 15:20

GOD I would hate if it used that disgusting Notifications feature.. That thing is so persistently annoying as hell that I stopped having the board send one for reporting posts.

I am NOT in favor of it if it means that.
- Gorhill is an interdimensional shape-shifting reptilian.. -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 15:36

after submitting the post it will create a notification to that user.
So, Tobin, it will do exactly what you don't want ;P

I'm honestly not in favor of this. This is not social media. People already have the option to subscribe to boards and threads they find interesting. I don't see a need to add notifications when people decide they want to @mention someone. Control in the hands of the reader, not the writer.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 15:45

I would hope that such an add-on would allow users to disable mention notifications, and/or be an opt-in thing.

Mentions are useful to get someone's attention for development or troubleshooting purposes, as it is on GitHub. For a more general audience on a support forum, yeah, it's more likely to be abused by newbies and spammers than used properly.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Post by moonbat » 2019-09-04, 00:42

Isengrim wrote:
2019-09-03, 15:45
I would hope that such an add-on would allow users to disable mention notifications, and/or be an opt-in thing.
Probably not, going by the plugin description.
Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-03, 15:36
Control in the hands of the reader, not the writer.
Makes sense. Lots of potential for abuse as Isengrim said.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.