For as long as Pale Moon has been around, we've always had the option to donate directly to the project to support us. Although this worked reasonably well, one of the main problems has always been that it's been unreliable in terms of getting steady support. This has, among other things, led to us using Google Ads on the main website, and trying to provide other ways for people to support us like businesses providing corporate sponsorship.
If at all possible, we want to become fully community supported, independent and ad-free. For this to become possible, I've looked into ways for people to be able to give what they can and want to spare, with minimal overhead or losses for the project. As such, I've set up both a Patreon page, for people who want to provide continued, monthly support to the project, and a Ko-Fi page that allows people to donate any amount (in increments of $3, one "coffee") whenever they want and can.
I've chosen this approach, because:
- It provides a way for us to have a more regular budget if monthly pledges are made to the project, which gives us the security needed to remove advertising on our websites and stop relying on corporate sponsors or being forced into compromising deals.
- It provides a way for users and supporters to give what they want, when they want and for how long they want.
- It provides the often-requested transparency in terms of how much is donated to the project, and what goals are achieved with the donations, and how many people are supporting.
- It reduces the overhead of manually having to check, manage and update donation credits, and reducing the ways donations have to be managed.
- It reduces fees paid by having monthly donations lumped together from Patreon, and Ko-Fi is a free service.
Without further ado, here are the links:
Our Patreon page, for recurring/continued support.
Our Ko-Fi page, for one-time or other non-monthly-recurring donations: