Way to permanently change user agent for certain domains? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Way to permanently change user agent for certain domains?

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-04, 14:54

I would like to use the native user agent (just to communicate to other websites that there are more browsers than FF, Chrome, and IE/Edge), but I have two Outlook Web Access email accounts that diminish functionality if I sign in with native or Gecko.

I installed the FF extension User Agent Switcher, but don't see a way to permanently change teh user agent for one particular website only. After using User Agent Swticher, I see that it is set for the changed user agent, even after surfing to another website.

Is there a way to keep the Native user agent as my default, but then store a list of permanent exceptions that will always change it? Or do I have to simply pick one of the three to be my UA all the time (until I then change it)? If I have to pick one, it would be the Firefox UA.

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: 27.0.2
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: any URL
Theme: Australium 2.2.1
Installed add-ons: AB Latitude; Password Exporter, Restart manager, Clearly 10.2.1.7.1, User Agent Swticher 0.7.3.1.1
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) PDFXchange viewer
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Way to permanently change user agent for certain domains?

Unread post by Greywool » 2016-12-04, 15:31

Open a new tab, type in: about:config

Right-click, create a new string called: general.useragent.override.domainname.tld

Set the value to whatever you want the user agent to be

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-04, 16:03

Thanks. I will now be able to do this for the only two websites I've seen with a few days of surfing, that don't work with native UA.

I just entered "general.useragent.override.domainname.tld" in a new string, and can't seem to modify it, nor delete it.

Is there a way to modify the string name itself (and not the value of the user agent)? And if I goof up, is there a way to delete this, so my about:config prefs are not littered with meaningless junk?

Second, or third, do I enter "Native" when I am telling this new string, what user agent to use? Or "Goanna"? Or is there something more?

EDIT: OK, is the UA something like this: Native mode: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; x64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20151208 PaleMoon/26.0.0?

So I would change teh above, to 27.0.2?
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-04, 16:18

The default native Pale Moon useragent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:3.0) Goanna/20161201 PaleMoon/27.0.2
With Gecko support: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:3.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20161201 PaleMoon/27.0.2
with Firefox support: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.2

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-04, 16:28

That makes it easy for me. Thanks.

OK now, is there any way to delete or modify the URL that I enter, when I insert these about:config entries?
Paul

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-04, 16:32

Actually, a new question (perhaps I should have asked this first): Can web developers or website owners still tell that I am surfing with PM and not firefox, if I access their site with the FF compatibility UA? If we all use that function, won't we be inflating the FF browser market share, while telling the rest of the interwebs that we don't exist?
Paul

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-04, 16:37

Just rightclick on the setting and reset.

The useragent is only one method to test the browser, so yes websites can see you not realy use firefox.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-12-04, 23:33

Actually, if you use one of the 3 default user agent strings covered by Dark_moon, the word "PaleMoon" is part of them. All of them, even the Firefox-compatible one. So these websites will know that you are using a different browser than Pale Moon. But for many troublesome websites, the key point is that the word "Firefox" is also embedded in the Firefox-compatible user agent string. So most of these websites will see the word "Firefox" and will presume that you are using Firefox or one of its clones.

So if you want absolutely to tell most websites that you are NOT using Firefox, you could use the "native mode". And conversely, if you do not want anyone to know that you are using Pale Moon, you can use a specific string that does not have the word Pale Moon in it. It's not a 100% perfect solution (they could test for specific browser functions, for instance), but it fools most of them. So you can either display:
– the Firefox user-agent string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0
– nothing (which is what I now do for forums.mozillazine.org).

On Mozillazine, I decided to hide everything as it seems that whatever one asks or whatever valuable input one provides, it seems to be wrong if the word "Pale Moon" appears anywhere.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)