Javascript performance question.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Javascript performance question.

Unread post by Ozzed » 2016-12-02, 15:52

Hi!

I noticed that there's a few options for Javascript in Pale Moon Commander. Like enable Jit, Ionmonkey and Odinmonkey and so on. Having read the manual it seems like those options would improve performance, but they are disabled by default. Why is that? Does it make performance worse to enable the options?

petrus

Re: Javascript performance question.

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-22, 19:34

I wonder this myself, why is IonMonkey not enabled by default in the Commmander, because Moon himself said: "If you want no performance in JS and watch modern pages crawl as well as the UI being less responsive, then feel free to disable ionmonkey and asm.js".

But then another user said: "ionmonkey has many optimisations which are relevant only on32 bit CPU"

So enable on x86 but disable on x64? I have no idea.

What about they two baseline JIT compiler options? Yay or nay? :)

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-06-22, 19:46

AFAIK there is no point in disabling Ion and Baseline at all, this will only decrease the performance in some scenarios. Asm.js, however, is a different thing, which almost not used in the modern Web, and now WebAssembly takes it over.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-22, 21:16

If you are looking at Pale Moon Commander, please understand that some of these settings no longer do anything and "not present' will generally default to showing "disabled".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-23, 11:02

So is ionmonkey enabled by default then? I see no monkeys in about:config anywhere! Image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-23, 11:24

IonMonkey is "always-on" because there's no point in not using the JIT compiler at this point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-06-24, 20:09

Huh? Is the setting real on? I never change that in PM commander but it show off:
PMcommander.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-24, 23:12

*headdesk*.. read my first response in this thread...............