Is there a way to convert a sdk extension?

General discussion and chat (archived)
John connor

Is there a way to convert a sdk extension?

Unread post by John connor » 2016-10-23, 11:09

I ran the sdk checker program and it shows several addons I don't want to lose. How can these be changed to work with 27?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Is there a way to convert a sdk extension?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-23, 11:26

The extensions will have to be rewritten to not rely on the SDK, which in short means "writing out" the calls to the SDK functions to use direct API/interface calls.
There's is no way to "convert" this type of extension without rewriting it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-10-25, 06:00

Well crap. Looks like I'm not updating to 27. I doubt these extension authors will make their extension non SDK.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-25, 10:03

No alternatives for these extensions? Post the list and you might get good suggestions.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-10-28, 08:38

One of them is YouTube All HTML 5. I got this response. What's it mean?

What do you mean with non-sdk? A classic restartless XUL extension or a WebExtension? As firefox is working on dropping XUL support, I won't convert the addon to the former, sorry.
However as the APIs for WebExtensions become more complete, I think I'll try porting the addon to it. I am not sure what Pale Moon plans to support in the long term, but it currently seems they won't support WebExtensions any time soon.

Having said that, it is certainly *possible* to convert the addon to a classic XUL addon, I just won't be the one doing it. But if anyone wants to try that, I will happily answer questions.
The others are:

Self destructing cookies

IP address and domain information

X forwarded for header

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-28, 08:48

John connor wrote:Self destructing cookies
Crush Those Cookies. Take a forum search fo find this.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-28, 08:58

X forwarded for header seems to manipulate HTTP referers, try RefControl or HeaderControlRevived for example.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-10-28, 09:10

back2themoon wrote:X forwarded for header seems to manipulate HTTP referers, try RefControl or HeaderControlRevived for example.

X forwarded for changes your IP address. So this forum for example should think I'm using the IP address 97.48.128.120. Unless it sees my actual Comcast IP. For forging the referrer I use UAControl.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-10-28, 09:11

dark_moon wrote:
John connor wrote:Self destructing cookies
Crush Those Cookies. Take a forum search fo find this.

I'll check this out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-28, 09:18

John connor wrote:X forwarded for changes your IP address. So this forum for example should think I'm using the IP address 97.48.128.120. Unless it sees my actual Comcast IP. For forging the referrer I use UAControl.
Hate to disappoint you but that's not how this works ;) The forum sees your actual connecting IP, and doesn't trust X-forwarded-for headers by default (since they can be forged).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2016-10-28, 18:49

MyPublicIP works, to show your own IP.
Flagfox works for page IP, and even better to have the flag as visual alert.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2016-10-29, 10:51

It is sad to let Decentraleyes (an SDK add-on) go.

And, Decentraleyes should be kicked from APO ASAP.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-29, 18:36

This is why we have the Compatibility information on the page. I am not gonna kick a Pale Moon targeted extension because of a compatibility issue. I did send a message to all the Jetpack extension developers who are hosted on the site 4 months ago.. No one responded.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-29, 18:44

latitude wrote:And, Decentraleyes should be kicked from APO ASAP.
Nonsense.

Just because it won't be compatible with v27, doesn't mean we should remove it any time soon. Of note, addons.palemoon.org lists the compatibility range of add-ons hosted there.

Unless there is a legal issue or unless the extension developer requests us to do so, we won't "kick" anyone from the add-ons site. Suggesting this in your tone used is rather unbecoming of you.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-10-29, 18:52

I'm not sure when it should be removed from APO, but I think it should happen fairly soon, or at the very least, it should be identified as not compatible with version 27. Why?

— Currently, all extensions are only identified as compatible with versions 25 and 26. No extension is identified as compatible with version 27... even though most other extensions on the list are.

— Pale Moon 27 has a very good beta version around (b1 and b2 were quite good too). MoonChild said it was the last version before the real one. With Pale Moon going officially to version 27 very soon, isn't it about time that APO starts saying which extensions are compatible with PM 27 ?

Pale Moon users and especially would-be users receive a strange message when they see that they have to use extensions from APO rather than AMO and that compatibility with AMO is diminishing... and then when they realize that some extensions on APO aren't even compatible with the most advanced version of Pale Moon.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-29, 19:03

That is partly because Pale Moon 27 isn't out yet.. Also, no extensions at all?

HMMM.. https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/web-development/devtools/
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/ (Public Beta)
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/crush-those-cookies/
DOM Inspector will Just Work(tm)
And all themes

All have a maxVersion of 27something

All the old Pseudo-Statics will be dealt with as well..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-30, 12:12

The change in compatibility is inherent here. What would you rather have had... that we release a new version of the browser each month that breaks a percentage of extensions every time? Look how well that worked for Mozilla ;)

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-11-06, 21:40

Moonchild wrote:
John connor wrote:X forwarded for changes your IP address. So this forum for example should think I'm using the IP address 97.48.128.120. Unless it sees my actual Comcast IP. For forging the referrer I use UAControl.
Hate to disappoint you but that's not how this works ;) The forum sees your actual connecting IP, and doesn't trust X-forwarded-for headers by default (since they can be forged).

I'm my own phpBB driven forum IPs came from X Forwarded For. I changed that and perhaps you did something as well. Also, many vbulletin forums and god knows what other look at X Forwarded For. I do know XenForo does not.