How to remove the TitleBar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
High Tide
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: How to remove the TitleBar

Unread post by High Tide » 2016-12-07, 12:42

Just an additional point. I realise that not everyone likes using a lot of extensions/add-ons, but can I just put in a word for Lootyhoof's Compact Moon forked theme - It's very tweakable and also retains a good toolbar display (with no title bar!) even when minimized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lowena dhywgh!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2016-12-07, 13:18

Are those screen shots of the browser window maximized? If so, that is normal behavior when the appmenu button is activated vs the menu bar and tabs on top are selected. The extensions I noted previously were to achieve that same appearance when the window was restored (unmaximized).

First thing to check in the 27 installation is that the menu bar has been deactivated.

Second, in about:config confirm the (default) setting for tab placement (when maximized) is true:

Code: Select all

browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar;true

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2016-12-31, 15:15

Until a couple of weeks ago, I was using 25.8 and was very happy. Stupid me, I decided to upgrade to 26.3. It was ok but 25.8 was better. A few days ago, I upgraded to 26.5 and saw the detested titlebar. It was not on 26.3 and earlier versions. The title bar ruins my precious Red Cats theme. It ruins every theme and every Persona and makes your screen look like shit with your Windows desktop theme showing through behind that horrible title bar. Plus, there is no reason to tell me (I know Microsoft does it with Windows but that is not an excuse for a browser to also do it) that I am such a stupid idiot that I have no idea what browser I am on (hence the redundant Pale Moon icon in the upper left corner of my screen and the stupid announcement that I am on a particular page on a particular tab as though I wouldn't know that otherwise. Geeez. :thumbdown:

Firefox pulled this stupidity way back in a version before Australis. The only way until after Australis to fix it was to hack Fx. Then with the horrible Australis came the magnificent CTR extension which elegantly and perfectly fixes it.

I tried the Hide Captionbar Title Plus extension mentioned in this thread. It does NOT fix the problem as the Menu bar disappears even though it is checked to be visible at all times! I use the Menu bar on all browsers and I want it always visible as I use it constantly. I don't want it in some cutesy hidden box on the side, etc. The Hide Captionbar extension is not helpful to me, plus, it is way too complicated an extension when all I want is for Pale Moon to look as it did through version 26.3 and as Fx 45.6 ESR looks currently.

Maybe I can mess with Pale Moon and fix it (I lost the windows control buttons when I did it on Fx but that was a minor thing as they were still there just not visible and actually I didn't really mind that as I knew where to click without needing to see them. However, can I instead revert to 26.3 or better to 25.8 and how do I do that without damage?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dookie

Unread post by dookie » 2017-01-19, 16:48

I switched to Pale Moon right before FireFox Australis was released; it ruined their UI for me. I was on a 64-bit test build and could see they were moving in wildly different direction. Therefore, years later, I appreciate PM devs philosophy of not changing for the sake of change. It's been a bumpy road since the largest websites tend to use either non-standard or proprietary specs/protocols catering to their own clients.

However, lack of ability to hide the title bar seems like a trivial issue. If you really hate the title bar, the use the AppButton (disable menu bar) and select "Tabs on Top." Boom, title bar caption is gone since it's replaced by your tabs. But, you guys want the menu bar and to keep the tabs below the nav bar. You want to customize the UI exactly how it was previously. I get it; practically the only reason I'm using PM is because it still had a status bar when FF was going through their UI changes.

The difference is the status bar provided extra space below the content frame to place extensions (e.g. weather, adblock, etc.) Moreover, it is an actual feature to display status, progress, and links. I could have used an add-on for Firefox to bring back the status bar, but there were other aspects going haywire with the first builds of Australis, and I could see this would be a whole new direction for the Mozilla team, making their browser look and feel like Chrome.

On the other hand, is a collapsed menu bar (Pale Moon button) and having to "reach" like less than 50 pixels (tabs on top) really worth getting upset about? The add-on seems like a great solution (although when I tried it, its newest version is incompatible). I understand wanting to add too many extensions, but why not try an older version for this one feature to see its effects on performance?

Furthermore, the customized UI examples given (i.e. ones without the title bar) aren't even maximizing vertical space. The ones who maximize vertical space have tabs on the side and don't display the navigation bar, but then again, all you have to do is use full screen mode, which hides all your toolbars, so that's also an option to maximize space.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-01-20, 01:04

I also am using Hide Caption Titlebar Plus 2.8.7rc and it gives me this look which completely removes the title bar all together as you can see below.
Screenshot - 1_19_2017 , 6_07_36 PM.png
I can understand not wanting to use add on's but this one is worth it's weight in gold. ;)

P.S. If you like this idea I can PM you the screen shots of the settings I use to get this effect.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2017-02-12, 02:00

I had a slight panic attack today thinking that v2.8.7rc was removed.:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

However, it turned out that Mozilla is now just putting development versions onto their own page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/beta

orbit

Re: Menu bar in titlebar

Unread post by orbit » 2017-03-14, 19:59

Davesnothere wrote:BTW, I also developed an extension to ONLY hide the titlebar for SeaMonkey (because the above one cannot be made to work there), and it works too for PM and non-A FF, but the above one is better if you can use it.
Hi Davesnothere,

Can you post your extension to hide the titlebar for SeaMonkey? The SM caption extensions on addons.mozilla.org do not work on the latest version of SM.

Thanks!

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-15, 22:01

BarbieBarb wrote: How to remove the TitleBar . . .
. . . the TitleBar is stuck with an eyesore blue. . . .
Both of these things are properly primarily functions of the window manager in most systems. Yes, some applications do make "suggestions" to the window manager. And some window managers can be set to either take the suggestions of the app or to ignore them on a per app basis. And some apps manage to elude the window manager's control (the proper remedy for that is to shoot the devs who write apps like that). The details of how to set the Window Manager to not show a title bar for a particular app, or to make the title bar a particular color (which can also generally be done on a per app basis or as a default theme for everything not specifically set differently) is totally dependent on the operating system and the window manager. I know how to do these things in Openbox but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it in, for example, Unity, or Windows, except, of course, to use a search engine to search for documentation relevant to the WM and OS that you use. The answer won't be specific to Pale Moon, but for the particular OS/WM setup. So if you can't find the answer searching that way, a forum devoted to the environment you're running Pale Moon in would probably be a more likely place to find the best answer.

I'm not saying this can't be done with extensions or from within the app (PM in this case, but I'm speaking generally) itself, or that there aren't ill-behaved apps for which that is the ONLY way to do it, but using the WM is pretty much the STANDARD way to do this. Learn how, and you can apply it to any app, or at least any well-written app, not just PM. No extension, and no use of old versions should be required.

Is necroposting cool here? Different boards have different attitudes about that. I didn't see any mention of this so I thought it should be added.