Mobile versions of web sites, instead of web versions.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
newbie3

Mobile versions of web sites, instead of web versions.

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-05-27, 05:42

There are some web sites - 2-3 - which load only their mobile versions on Pale Moon (I use it on laptop). It started to happen some months ago. When I try on MS Edge, the web versions of the same are loaded. How to solve this problem?

dark_moon

Re: Mobile versions of web sites, instead of web versions.

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-05-27, 07:26

This is because the website(s) use then useragent sniffing and because of the Goanna in the string, they think you use a mobile phone.
Bad websites check for "Goa" in the string, which is a smartphone and so you get the mobile site.

The only real solution is to contact the site admin to fix this bad usersniffing. Look at the other threads about this!
Anyway you can fix it on your side to with change your useragent, but thats only a workaround.

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-05-27, 15:28

dark_moon wrote:This is because the website(s) use then useragent sniffing and because of the Goanna in the string, they think you use a mobile phone.
Bad websites check for "Goa" in the string, which is a smartphone and so you get the mobile site.

The only real solution is to contact the site admin to fix this bad usersniffing. Look at the other threads about this!
Anyway you can fix it on your side to with change your useragent, but thats only a workaround.
I'm not sure that I understand completely what you've said and I'm not sure that the admins of these web sites will listen to me to fix this bug.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-27, 15:32

If you don't let them know, they will for sure never do anything about it.
It's quite simple: you're using a desktop browser (Pale Moon) and the website detects it as if it is a mobile phone. That's an error on their behalf and they should fix it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-05-30, 13:22

Moonchild wrote:If you don't let them know, they will for sure never do anything about it.
It's quite simple: you're using a desktop browser (Pale Moon) and the website detects it as if it is a mobile phone. That's an error on their behalf and they should fix it.
OK. I'll write them about it. Thanks for the feedback.

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-06-04, 07:53

@Moonchild - Unfortunately, none of the three web sites, which I visit regularly and have this "mobile version" problem responded to my message or fixed anything. :eh:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-04, 08:19

Then you know that sites don't care about their users and you need to use the useragent workaround.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-06-04, 12:21

dark_moon wrote:Then you know that sites don't care about their users and you need to use the useragent workaround.
They care about their users but they rather tend to the majority than to the minority.
If I had a choice to make software and maintaining for operating systems, I would work with the one that has the most users(Windows), because it is the most income.

That's why it's hard to get developers that make Windows Phone variants of Android and iOS apps because Windows Phone is a pimple compared to the other OSes being human-sized.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-06-05, 02:34

@newbie3 --
This post has instructions for making a user agent override:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12090#p85075

You could also, when contacting a site, ask them to update their version of the 'Mobile Detect' UA detection library to the most recent release, which hopefully will fix some of these issues.

See here for background:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12151

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-06-08, 12:59

Thanks for the posts, guys.

@dark_moon
@coffeebreak

How to use the useragent workaround?

I followed these steps, but the problem remains:

To tell a site a different useragent:

Open up about:config
Right-click, select New -> String
Name it general.useragent.override.domain.com where domain.com is the domain of the site you're wanting to give a different UA.
The value should be a complete UA string, e.g. "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; rv:45.0) gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"

alex04
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by alex04 » 2016-06-08, 16:47

i use this solution to fix the problem

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 841#p76225

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2016-06-09, 11:47

@alex04 - yes, that technique fixed the problem. Thank you very much! :thumbup: