What is the reason for 'Pale Moon' instead of 'Palemoon'

General discussion and chat (archived)
Lord_Brezel

What is the reason for 'Pale Moon' instead of 'Palemoon'

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2016-02-10, 21:53

Whats your reasoning for having the words separate, Moonchild?

(If you already answered it, the search would not let me use literals with such general words)
I kind of have the opposite opinion because if it is one word, it sounds more fluent.
If I speak it out loud with separate words, the sound always bothers me,
while when joined to slides buttery smooth out of your mouth.
A browser doesn't directly have anything to to with the moon and
the separate version puts such an emphasis on it, that it sounds as if
its a browser specifically for the Pale Moon, like it has text printed on it.
When using Palemoon it sounds just like a product name that is used to
refer to this specific browser without putting too much meaning in the name.

(+ in Linux one has to escape spaces.
~/.moonchild productions/Pale Moon/ is horrible on terminal because of case sensitivity and spaces.)
And sorry for my weird use of commas, thats baggage from german.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: What is the reason for 'Pale Moon' instead of 'Palemoon'

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-02-10, 23:03

Pale - is a descriptor word
Moon - is an object

Pale Moon = a Moon that is pale (as in a Moon that has a pale hue).

Palemoon = nonsense (really nothing more than an undefined nondescript word/term)

What your suggesting is equivalent to combining a descriptor word with an object word to ultimately create a new undefined term which on it's surface is generally incongruous in the English language.

Examples:

Moonbeam is correct, because this defines an object which is by the way a defined word (as opposed to Moon Beam which would not be the same thing using the two words separately).

In this case Moonbeam makes sense as opposed to Palemoon which does not.

Alternatively:

Seamonkey is correct, it is a term that connotes a life in the form of a shrimp.

Sea Monkey would be incorrect because Sea is an object and does not describe the object Monkey so it only makes sense to use the term Seamonkey.

In this manner Pale Moon is uniquely different and does make sense base on the fact the descriptor word "Pale" describes the object "Moon".

Another example (if this isn't enough for you):

Internet Explorer makes sense because "Internet" describes what is being "explored".

Internetexplorer on the other hand makes absolutely no sense combining two separate words.

IN CONCLUSION:

Palemoon equals an irrelevant and undefined term by combining two separate words. This is the same as combining Internetexplorer would be wrong or Mozillafirefox would be wrong or Googlechrome would be wrong or Microsoftedge would be wrong or Netscapenavigator would be wrong or Comodoicedragon would be wrong Avantbrowser would be wrong etc etc

MY POINT BROKEN DOWN:

Palemoon - incorrect
Pale Moon - correct

Internetexplorer - incorrect
Internet Explorer - correct

Mozillafirefox - incorrect
Mozilla Firefox - correct

Googlechrome - incorrect
Google Chrome - correct

Microsoftedge - incorrect
Microsoft Edge - correct

Netscapenavigator - incorrect
Netscape Navigator - correct

Comodicedragon - incorrect
Comodo Icedragon - correct

Avantbrowser - incorrect
Avant Browser - correct

ON THE OTHER HAND (because the two words are not related and a descriptor does not apply):

Sea Monkey - incorrect (Sea does not describe Monkey but rather the two words together do describe something that is they describe a "shrimp".
Seamonkey - correct (because of above explanation)

Ice Weasel - incorrect (Ice does not describe Weasel and Ice is an object not a descriptor like "white" or "cold" so there's two objects involved)
Iceweasel - correct (the term is designed to create a new nondescript term, unlike using a descriptor that applies to an object) i.e. a Moon can be "pale", a Weasel is never "ice".)

and others like this (same reasoning above applies)....

Comet Bird - incorrect
Cometbird - correct (new term)

Timber Wolf - incorrect (two objects, no descriptor word)
Timberwolf - correct (new term)

Water Fox - incorrect (two objects, no relevant descriptors. What does water have to do with Fox)
Waterfox - correct (new term)

Lastly, there are always exceptions to the rule, but why use an exception when applying the generally accepted rule will get it done?

COUNTERPOINT TO THE ABOVE: (notice I don't say "Counter Point", two separate words because they do not correctly define the term "counterpoint")

You might say one could use the word Palemoon as a "new term", but what would be the point when the two words precisely describe the desired connotation!?!?! :idea:

I rest my case, for what it's worth. ;) :think: :lol:

Moonchild will likely have a completely different and not only more logical but more personal reason I'm sure. ;) :D

Signed: Pale Moon Rising (not Palemoonrising) ;) :lol: :wave:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-11, 00:02

I like this thread.. Quite a bit..

But at the end of the day.. Pale Moon is a brand name. Anywhere you may see palemoon or Palemoon in the application is there due to a limitation in code.. Specifically where a space is not allowed or technologically difficult to pull off. Such as the user agent for the former and the installation program for the latter.

Also, as a matter of record.. the SeaMonkey brand name has the M uppercased.

Brand names do not have to follow the logic demonstrated above.. But proper usage of brand names or any name remains important.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-02-11, 01:04

Absolutely true, "brand names" are not subject to any level of logic applied to the "brand name" used in the least.

With that in mind there may in fact be no rhyme or reason to a specific "brand name" that is used and in that sense it is inherently illogical by definition to even question any such "brand name" use in the first place. :idea:

But that aside, since the question was asked I thought in a jocular manner (just for the fun of it) I'd take a stab at providing a "sense of logic" for what it's worth clearly absent the need to really do so based on the fact it IS after all a "brand name" we are dealing with which, as so correctly pointed out, doesn't actually require any "sense of logic". :thumbup: ;) :?

btw, I'm happy to see the topic has been moved to the appropriate board, I'm just wondering if the OP, Lord_Brezel, is going to be able to find it. ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-02-11, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-02-11, 05:15

WOW, now that was a mouthful :lol: I almost thought I was sitting on the floor in my mom's bedroom being corrected on my poor grammar. :shock:
Scary flash back! :mrgreen:

Awesome Post though. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-02-11, 05:53

^ :lol: :clap: funny.... :D

I just thought I'd have some fun with the topic (tongue-in-cheek to an extent)... ;) ... Oh, and appreciate the compliment. :wave:

lunalupus

Unread post by lunalupus » 2016-02-11, 08:20

Yeah,that was some post PMR.I'll be careful not to post about anything too finicky while you're around. :clap:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-11, 12:21

I'm sorry for you Linux users if using spaces in path names is a PITA, but that's not a thing to consider when deciding on a project name.
(Also, Pale Moon is GUI-focused. If you're using the command line to deal with Pale Moon, then you're doing something wrong)

Bottom line? It's "Pale Moon" because I say so, and the name is, indeed, supposed to be grammatically correct. Thanks PMR for taking the time to have fun with the topic and getting a point across ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-02-11, 15:26

Moonchild wrote:IBottom line? It's "Pale Moon" because I say so
and nobody can argue about that :D
Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry for you Linux users if using spaces in path names is a PITA
(Also, Pale Moon is GUI-focused. If you're using the command line to deal with Pale Moon, then you're doing something wrong)
Well, the typical Linux user will start a program via the command line, not clicking on some icon on some desktop (one can live without !), but the typical linux user is also able to use aliases to commands :D , and soft links to directories and files :D ... and moreover the executable gets in /usr/bin/palemoon :thumbup:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2016-02-11, 18:08

Yes, what fun! I was composing a reply myself but got bogged down. Considered 'Firefox' for example being preceded by the Clint Eastwood film and wondered where that came from? And that before Firefox the browser it was 'Firebird', which was preceded as a name by the 650 BSA Firebird Scrambler. I couldn't really get beyond that as to criticise the name of that becomes immediately churlish if you stand next to one when it's fired up. Likewise the Triumph Thunderbird. I rode a '59 T'bird with sidecar gearing but no sidecar on. 'Yee-hah!' sums that one up! I became hopelessly partial by this point. So thanks to PMR for clearing it up!

Yes, for me, grammatically-correct is what matters; not trendy computer-ese - which long ago was valid marketting-speak, but is now old and lazy. But if you can throw a leg over it and do 100mph, all bets are off.

Mozilla certainly seem to have borrowed naming inspiration from classic automotive precedents! Triumph, BSA, Ford, Pontiac. I can't for the life of me recall who made the Seamonkey though.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-02-12, 02:41

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:and moreover the executable gets in /usr/bin/palemoon :thumbup:
And all decent interactive shells can autocomplete it for you, or you can escape spaces with backslashes, or you can quote the whole thing, or symlink it...

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-02-12, 09:13

Thrawn wrote: And all decent interactive shells can autocomplete it for you, or you can escape spaces with backslashes, or you can quote the whole thing, or symlink it...
Green :thumbup: Red :thumbdown: IMHO
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2016-02-15, 18:50

Maybe this would be better suited to a new topic but I actually glanced at this to see where "Pale Moon" came from. I think it's a pretty sweet name and would be interested to know what the inspiration was. Moonchild, I don't suppose you'd mind elaborating?

The name appeals to me personally because I like the separation from the typical globe-of-the-Earth imagery that web browsers have adopted, hinting at a rejection of the mainstream browser "status quo", but maintains a familiar feel astronomically using the moon, which to me signifies the familiar browser experience that allows customization to one's liking (as opposed to the new FF and every other browser I tried when FF let me down).
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697