Build on Debian

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pavroo

Build on Debian

Unread post by pavroo » 2016-12-03, 19:41

Hi everyone
I tried to build Palemoon on Debian testing, then on stable.
After resolving some issues with deps, I occurred the following one:

Code: Select all

make[1]: Entering directory '/media/pavroo1/dysk2-2/palemoon/64/palemoon-27.0.2'
make -f client.mk build
make[2]: Entering directory '/media/pavroo1/dysk2-2/palemoon/64/palemoon-27.0.2'
client.mk:117: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8 spaces?).  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/media/pavroo1/dysk2-2/palemoon/64/palemoon-27.0.2'
debian/rules:17: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/pavroo1/dysk2-2/palemoon/64/palemoon-27.0.2'
debian/rules:7: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
Any clue?
regards
pavroo

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Build on Debian

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-03, 22:45

More information is necessary. How exactly are you trying to build it? The same source builds for me on both Debian Jessie and Ubuntu 16.10 in the openSUSE build service, and 16.10 is reasonably close to Stretch.

Anyway, whenever I've seen that type of error, it's usually due to an indent in the debian/rules file using spaces instead of a tab. If you copied code text from a browser display, it can replace tabs with spaces sometimes.

Edit: Stretch is also using gcc-6 as the default version of gcc, so you'll either have to specify that the build use the gcc-5 tools or add some magic to the build environment (usually done in the debian/rules file) like the gcc-6 fix here: https://github.com/AOSC-Dev/aosc-os-abb ... ld/prepare