can't play videos on vimeo and dailymotion

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
damtor

can't play videos on vimeo and dailymotion

Unread post by damtor » 2016-12-01, 17:36

I've been having some trouble playing videos on vimeo, and dailymotion.
I thought/assumed the problem was something related to my preferences or add-ons.
But I just downloaded the newest version of Pale Moon (27.0.1) for 64 bit, installed it,
and ran it as a new user (using all default preferences and no add-ons).

I can't play videos on vimeo or dailymotion.
vimeo gives me this error:

Please update your browser or try a different one.

dailymotion reports:

This video can't be played with your current setup.

I'm running PCLinuxOS if it matters/helps.

Both websites work fine with Google Chrome.

Any advice on how to figure out what's causing this behavior?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: can't play videos on vimeo and dailymotion

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-12-01, 23:30

Not sure it's a Pale Moon problem; both sites work just fine for me. I'm on Linux Mint 18. Which option are you using under compatibility mode? I'm using Gecko.

[ Compatibility mode is found under Preferences >> Advanced >> General tab. ]

damtor

Unread post by damtor » 2016-12-02, 03:35

helloimustbegoing wrote:Not sure it's a Pale Moon problem; both sites work just fine for me. I'm on Linux Mint 18. Which option are you using under compatibility mode? I'm using Gecko.

[ Compatibility mode is found under Preferences >> Advanced >> General tab. ]
By default (which is what I tried first), it's gecko. Per your suggestion, I tried the other 2 options:
native and firefox compatibility. All 3 behave the same for me.

It may not be a PM issue; I'm just hoping for help figuring out what's causing this behavior...

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-02, 14:17

Did you start having trouble with the v27 update? If so, please ensure you have GStreamer 1.x plugins and gst-libav installed.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2016-12-02, 16:32

gst-libav is not available in Linux Mint 18 repositories.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2016-12-02, 16:40

Terryphi wrote:gst-libav is not available in Linux Mint 18 repositories.
CORRECTION. It is present as gstreamer1.0-libav.

damtor

Unread post by damtor » 2016-12-03, 02:10

Yes, I have trouble even using the newest 27.0.2 release.
gstreamer is installed.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-03, 02:54

Dailymotion and Vimeo works fine for me. Have you tried with a new profile?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-03, 18:51

Damtor, you very probably need to install the gstreamer 1.0 good and bad plugins packages, along with the equivalent of gstreamer1.0-libav or -ffmpeg in PCLinuxOS. The search in Synaptic can help you, or I'm sure someone on the PCLinux forums can give you the exact name of those packages on your platform.

PCLinuxOS also has some good packagers; perhaps they'd add a built-from-source PM to their repository that'll pull in or at least recommend the correct gstreamer packages if you ask them.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2016-12-09, 02:40

Wowie! Thanks for posting the above suggestion. Although I wasn't having any problem playing videos, I was actually having problems with audio playback at WordReference.com. When I would click the sound icon, I would get an error message telling me that mp3 playback wasn't supported, and that I needed to install gstreamer. Well, I knew I had it installed, but when you suggested going to Synaptic to see what else was there, a lightbulb went off (Could this apply to me, too?) .... I saw I had "good" and "bad" already installed, so I added "ugly", and then I added some plug-ins related to VA-API, and then I took a stab at a couple of other things. Audio playback at WordReference works now! :clap:

Now, if I could get audio to work properly at Duolingo.com, I wouldn't have to use Firefox at all anymore. :think:

P.S. I am using PM 26.0.5 on Ubuntu 14.04.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2016-12-11, 15:44

stevepusser wrote:Damtor, you very probably need to install the gstreamer 1.0 good and bad plugins packages, along with the equivalent of gstreamer1.0-libav or -ffmpeg in PCLinuxOS. The search in Synaptic can help you, or I'm sure someone on the PCLinux forums can give you the exact name of those packages on your platform.
Hello,

I had the same problem. Now I installed gtramer-1.0-libav via Synaptic.
Everything works now.

May I suggest to include this packet in the repository - I mean as a dependency.
So everybody could just install PM and H.264 would be possible to watch from the beginning on.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-12, 05:03

plonkomat wrote:May I suggest to include this packet in the repository - I mean as a dependency.
So everybody could just install PM and H.264 would be possible to watch from the beginning on.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Pale Moon on Linux will no longer be dependent on GStreamer for H.264 video beginning with v27.1

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2016-12-12, 18:43

trava90 wrote:
plonkomat wrote:May I suggest to include this packet in the repository - I mean as a dependency.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Pale Moon on Linux will no longer be dependent on GStreamer for H.264 video beginning with v27.1
So maybe then I did something wrong and most other users on Linux could watch H.264 videos on Linux without having installed this gstreamer packet and without 3rd party plugins?

I have Linux Mint 18.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-12, 19:02

plonkomat wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Damtor, you very probably need to install the gstreamer 1.0 good and bad plugins packages, along with the equivalent of gstreamer1.0-libav or -ffmpeg in PCLinuxOS. The search in Synaptic can help you, or I'm sure someone on the PCLinux forums can give you the exact name of those packages on your platform.
Hello,

I had the same problem. Now I installed gtramer-1.0-libav via Synaptic.
Everything works now.

May I suggest to include this packet in the repository - I mean as a dependency.
Actually, I did give this some thought. The PM we build for MX Linux, a Debian derivative, does have the gstreamer packages as hard dependencies, since apt is set to not install recommended packages by default, unlike Debian, and our distro is newbie-friendly and we want everything to "just work".

On the other hand, I can't know how other distros that can use the OBS repository have their --install-recommends default set. There are some, such as CrunchBang and BunsenLabs, as well as a sizable contingent of grumpy Debian users, that want minimalist installs and would snarl over me forcing the install of those gstreamer packages for those "stupid social networking sites that I never use". In the end, I just have them as Suggested packages, much like the old PPA I adapted the build system from. A user can see those via

Code: Select all

apt show palemoon
A better solution would be for each distro to add PM to their own repository with the Recommended and Suggested packages tuned to how they have apt settings and how minimalist they want to be.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-12, 22:20

plonkomat wrote:So maybe then I did something wrong and most other users on Linux could watch H.264 videos on Linux without having installed this gstreamer packet and without 3rd party plugins?
No I doubt you did anything wrong. GStreamer is still required on all distros at this point. It won't be until Pale Moon 27.1.0 that we won't be dependent on GSteamer for video anymore.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-13, 02:01

Is 27.1 going to build against a system's ffmpeg headers; such as Debian's libavcodec-dev for those headers, and will it require the real ffmpeg instead of the libav fork? Or is going to bundle ffmpeg source and build an internal version? As far as I can tell, Ubuntu didn't switch back to the real ffmpeg from libav until 16.04. I know how to backport the real ffmpeg at least to a Debian 7 equivalent in the OBS, it's just not a really quick job.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-13, 06:00

We will have bundled headers to build against (see https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... rms/ffmpeg), and will specifically be looking for/using libavcodec.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-12-13, 09:47

trava90 wrote:We will have bundled headers to build against (see https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... rms/ffmpeg), and will specifically be looking for/using libavcodec.
Will the codec be bundled in the Pale Moon source? I'm not sure if "libavcodec" is something separate, but I know that Gentoo does not support installing the main media-video/ffmpeg and media-video/libav simultaneously. I am currently running gst-plugins-libav with ffmpeg installed.

Code: Select all

[i660][waltdnes][~] emerge -p libav

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] media-video/libav-11.8  USE="X bzip2 encode gpl hardcoded-tables network ssl threads truetype webp x264 x265 zlib -aac -alsa (-altivec) -amr (-armv5te) (-armv6) (-armv6t2) (-armvfp) -bs2b -cdio -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -doc -faac -fdk -fontconfig -frei0r -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k (-libressl) -mp3 (-neon) -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp -schroedinger -sdl -speex -static-libs {-test} -theora -tools -twolame -v4l -vaapi -vdpau -vorbis -vpx -wavpack -xvid" CPU_FLAGS_X86="avx mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -avx2 -fma3 -fma4 -xop" 
[blocks B      ] media-video/ffmpeg:0 ("media-video/ffmpeg:0" is blocking media-video/libav-11.8)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-13, 10:05

No, only the headers needed to build against will be bundled with Pale Moon's source. Pale moon will check for libavcodec to be installed on the system (it is a component of FFmpeg and LibAV). gst-libav is nothing more than a wrapper for GStreamer to use LibAV. In 27.1, we will be essentially bypassing the (crashy) GStreamer wrapper and using libavcodec directly.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-12-13, 13:37

trava90 wrote:No, only the headers needed to build against will be bundled with Pale Moon's source. Pale moon will check for libavcodec to be installed on the system (it is a component of FFmpeg and LibAV)
Thanks; the name "libavcodec" had me confused. Most Gentoo users run with ffmpeg, but a few run with libav. It's one of those situations where "there can only be one". When 27.1 is released, the announcement should mention that it'll work against either of ffmpeg and libav. Till now, all the talk has been about ffmpeg.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way