Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

shf84

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Unread post by shf84 » 2016-11-24, 10:24

Hi, I'am an extension developer and since Pale Moon ver.27 some of my extension's functions work not properly. Trying to debug the extension with the "console.log()" statements, I found out that the Browser Console window is no longer available. I've installed the Developer Tools extension and the OP's extension Error Console but they do not show me messages from my extension code like the Browser Console did. Could anyone point me how am I supposed to debug my extension and fix it without the Browser Console window? :wtf: Thanks in advance!

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-11-24, 11:15

there is nothing very special in that "console" object, it is just a wrapper for system console interface:

Code: Select all

const conService = Cc["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"].getService(Ci.nsIConsoleService);
function conlog (str) conService.logStringMessage(str);

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 11:18

You could also try Components.utils.reportError or dump.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2016-11-24, 15:34

shf84 wrote:Hi, I'am an extension developer and since Pale Moon ver.27 some of my extension's functions work not properly. Trying to debug the extension with the "console.log()" statements, I found out that the Browser Console window is no longer available. I've installed the Developer Tools extension and the OP's extension Error Console but they do not show me messages from my extension code like the Browser Console did. Could anyone point me how am I supposed to debug my extension and fix it without the Browser Console window? :wtf: Thanks in advance!
Or if you want Mozilla devtools be available in Pale Moon you could compile Pale Moon from source with Mozilla devtools enabled in .mozconfig?

I compile from source personally with devtools enabled as I want Mozilla devtools.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2016-11-24, 23:53

Would you mind listing the exact .mozconfig options you used to enable the devtools, ie "ac_add_options --enable-devtools"?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-25, 02:58

0strodamus wrote:Would you mind listing the exact .mozconfig options you used to enable the devtools, ie "ac_add_options --enable-devtools"?
That is the correct mozconfig option.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2016-11-26, 18:11

Thanks trava90! :thumbup:

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-04-15, 10:34

I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-15, 12:11

thosrtanner wrote:I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?
This is no longer relevant since we reintroduced and fixed up the devtools, as well as having the toolkit error console available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-04-15, 12:27

Moonchild wrote:
thosrtanner wrote:I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?
This is no longer relevant since we reintroduced and fixed up the devtools, as well as having the toolkit error console available.
Oh, right. Thanks

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-15, 16:24

Moonchild wrote:
This is the support thread for Error Console², an extension that does still work and its intended purpose is to provide more information than the standard Toolkit error console, which it does do (in my experience, at least). It's only as relevant as the Toolkit error console is.

As for whether people should use the browser console or the Toolkit error console (either with or without Error Console²), that is mostly up to personal preference, I'd say.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-15, 16:27

Sorry if I caused confusion here - I just meant to say that the initial posts in this thread are no longer relevant (it having started out as a necessity for not having devtools in the browser in initial releases of pale Moon 27).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite