Pale Moon 27 localization

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon 27 localization

Unread post by Sob__ » 2016-11-25, 03:46

I don't know if I described it well enough. If you look specifically at both appstrings.properties, they are more than similar, their contents are almost the same, at least when you look at names. I tried a simple test with "dnsNotFound" string which I expected would show when I try to open non-existent domain. The error message shown by PM came from browser\chrome\<lang>\locale\browser\appstrings.properties. Does that mean that:

a) Strings from browser\chrome\<lang>\locale\browser\appstrings.properties override strings from chrome\<lang>\locale\<lang>\global\appstrings.properties.
b) There's some other part of PM which actually uses "dnsNotFound" string from chrome\<lang>\locale\<lang>\global\appstrings.properties (i.e. the other one).

Status of that wrong (probably) "unknownSocketType" string depends on this answer (to be clear, it's not missing translation, it's like this in source en-US and it looks wrong there too). If it's a), then it does not matter, because it's in chrome\<lang>\locale\<lang>\global\appstrings.properties so it won't get used. If it's b), then it's still looks wrong, but to be completely sure about it, I would have to know where exactly it's used.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-25, 12:55

Sob__, if you want to dive so deep you should look to the sources.

Attention to all translators: since Moonchild made significant updates to the about:rights page, we need to handle several strings in aboutRights.dtd once again.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-25, 14:40

JustOff wrote:Attention to all translators: since Moonchild made significant updates to the about:rights page, we need to handle several strings in aboutRights.dtd once again.
Already done in the Spanish (Argentina) locale.

Thank you for this notification and thanks Moonchild for read my comments in Crowdin. :thumbup:

Great weekend!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-25, 22:16

Fresh beta versions of language packs are ready with new (incomplete) translation for Kannada (IN).
palemoon_2016-11-26_00-29-37.png
Thanks for feedback and contributions, new participants are always welcomed!

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-26, 06:39

I advanced Japanese translation work. It is 96% now.
No more translations actually have to be confirmed by manipulating Pale Moon, which is not easy.
Probably more translation will be dull. That is the limit due to language differences.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-26, 21:59

Thank you for the hard work done, balloon!

I hope someone will help you translate the last 4% to finish with Japanese, because complete language pack isn't only perfect for regular users, but it's much easier to update in the future.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-27, 15:17

Warning
All strings (*.properties) beginning and ending with single quote, removes quote from both ends of a string (in the source string). And then return there again.

See:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... erties#L81
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... erties#L45
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... rties#L148
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... rties#L149

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-27, 15:38

GMforker wrote:Warning
All strings (*.properties) beginning and ending with single quote, removes quote from both ends of a string (in the source string)
Thanks for the raising this issue! That is CrowdIn's error, I'll look how we can resolve it.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-27, 17:33

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-27, 17:44

JustOff wrote:
I've walked through the full en-US sources, looks like only those 4 strings are affected, could you confirm?
Yes, I found no other string for now. AFAIK.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-27, 18:16

GMforker wrote:Yes, I found no other string for now. AFAIK.
Thanks! Sources and translations were updated, please check and confirm on CrowdIn.

mstanke

Unread post by mstanke » 2016-11-28, 13:12

Hi.

I am lead of Czech Mozilla,cz l10n community and in last few days I have been in touch with janekptacijarabaci. A lot of Pale Moon and Firefox localization is common and we watch the other work closely for updates, fixes etc. I have missed few commits before I realized the Pale Moon localization has been moved to a new branch and you started using CrowdIn. I have to admit CrowdIn looks like a decent tool and I think it can bring good value to both Firefox and Pale Moon l10n teams.

As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it is recommended for Pale Moon localizers to use Firefox as reference. Mozilla has a nice tool called Transvision you can use to search for translations. It's similar to amaGama. And as you have CrowdIn, you may be interested in Transvision JSON API and amaGama API, which will allow especially new teams to get a lot of strings done almost instantly if they are in Firefox already. For the future, if there is any team starting Pale Moon first before Firefox, a data source integration in the opposite way from CrowdIn to our Pontoon/Pootle may be handy too if there is anyone who decides to work on Firefox subsequently too.

I cannot speak for the l10n-drivers team, but I believe if you contact them, they could help you with amaGama and Transvision API integration (they have done it for Pontoon already) or may assist you with a standalone instance deployment. The Pale Moon and Firefox l10n stacks are still very close overall.

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2016-11-28, 15:35

Probably way down the priorities, but when are we likely to see a PM27 version of the English (GB) language pack? Getting annoyed with squiggly red lines underneath words that are spelt correctly....

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-28, 16:23

mstanke wrote:Mozilla has a nice tool called Transvision you can use to search for translations.
Thank you for sharing!
For the future, if there is any team starting Pale Moon first before Firefox, a data source integration in the opposite way from CrowdIn to our Pontoon/Pootle may be handy too if there is anyone who decides to work on Firefox subsequently too.
CrowdIn is very handy framework, but it has a lot of nuances with *.dtd and *.properties files handling that requires manual pre and post processing. But thanks for idea once again.
davews wrote:Probably way down the priorities, but when are we likely to see a PM27 version of the English (GB) language pack?
Currently I see no activity in en-GB translation. Feel free to join us to help.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-28, 16:32

Fresh beta versions of language packs are ready with new (incomplete) Vietnamese translation.

Other news in brief: Spanish (Argentina) is 100% verified now, Spanish (Mexico) is 100% translated, but unfortunately no progress in Spanish (Spain).
2016-11-28_18-30-10.png
Thanks for feedback and contributions, new participants are always welcomed!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-28, 17:52

Off-topic:
Hi davews!
davews wrote:Getting annoyed with squiggly red lines underneath words that are spelt correctly....
Hmph… :think: Is not a British English dictionary what are you looking for, actually?

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2016-11-28, 20:58

KNTRO wrote:
Off-topic:
Hi davews!
davews wrote:Getting annoyed with squiggly red lines underneath words that are spelt correctly....
Hmph… :think: Is not a British English dictionary what are you looking for, actually?
You are right, I do have British English dictionary installed and it is working fine and only gives squiggles on your USA spellings.... But I did of course have to disable the English GB language pack. I must have got a bit confused when I saw some unexpected squiggles the other day but can't repeat now.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-30, 03:01

I installed a Japanese language file of the test version on Pale Moon 27
and proceeded the translation work while confirming the operation.
I will report that the Japanese translation was made to 100% !

However, it may be wrong with the sentences. I will continue to check and fix it.

еленка

Unread post by еленка » 2016-11-30, 16:03

Translate into Bulgarian , please please please please please :(

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2016-12-01, 08:55

While updating PaleMoon with German locale, I was notified that the language pack for v26.1 would be incompatible and deactivated. After the restart, instead of the PaleMoon UI, a window with a bright yellow (tooltip background) color opened, reporting an XML error:
XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht definierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Zeile Nr. 471, Spalte 7: <menuitem id="spell-no-suggestions"
------^
This happened already in earlier updates, so I remembered to start PaleMoon in Safe Mode (holding Shift while clicking the taskbar icon), to call about:config and clear the general.useragent.locale option.

Wouldn't it be smarter to have the updater do that (with confirmation choice, including a reminder to manually re-enter its value later) if an incompatible language pack is detected? Or any kind of safe fall-back to English in such a case?

Please move this post to a new thread if it is not appropriate here.
Fun and success!