Version 27 in Linux Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Barnaby

Version 27 in Linux

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-11-22, 20:09

I have been using PM for some time now. Every time I have needed to update, it has worked just fine. I am currently running version 26.5.0. Today I see that there is a new version, 27. I use pminstaller.sh as my installer program. This time, when I try to update the package runs as normal, but I am told that I am already using the most up to date version, and the installer will not do anything. Obviously the new version 27 is newer than the one I have at the moment, so how can that be?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Andrew Gilbertson

Re: Version 27 in Linux

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-11-22, 20:40

As Windows gets far more users, the Windows release of a new version is generally released first. Rest assured that a Linux build of version 27 is coming. (But since I'm not involved in getting that released, I can't say precisely when.)

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2016-11-22, 20:41

The homepage of Pale Moon shows only version 26.5 for Linux.
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
I think the linux version will follow in a few days.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-11-22, 20:45

Thanks for the replies. I will try to be more patient. Must look after the Windows users first, I understand that. I'll give it a day or two.

Kunagi7

Unread post by Kunagi7 » 2016-11-22, 20:46

Usually we have to wait a few more hours or days until the Linux version is uploaded.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-22, 21:53

Wait no longer, the Linux version is up and ready for downloading.

Kunagi7

Unread post by Kunagi7 » 2016-11-22, 22:09

Thanks, you all really do a great work :thumbup: .

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-11-23, 09:06

Thanks for the information. I have now installed version 27 in my Linux computer, and it seems fine.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-11-23, 23:23

I'm going to rebuild the source in the OBS repo. Other than the switch back to gstreamer 1.0, were there any other changes in the configuration I should watch out for?

I'll also add Ubuntu 16.10 to that repo to see how it builds with gcc-5.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-23, 23:27

stevepusser wrote:Other than the switch back to gstreamer 1.0, were there any other changes in the configuration I should watch out for?
Shouldn't be.
stevepusser wrote:I'll also add Ubuntu 16.10 to that repo to see how it builds with gcc-5.
GCC 5 is not recommended - we encountered some crashing issues during beta testing due to the way GCC 5 performs some optimizations.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-11-23, 23:58

trava90 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Other than the switch back to gstreamer 1.0, were there any other changes in the configuration I should watch out for?
Shouldn't be.
stevepusser wrote:I'll also add Ubuntu 16.10 to that repo to see how it builds with gcc-5.
GCC 5 is not recommended - we encountered some crashing issues during beta testing due to the way GCC 5 performs some optimizations.

Thanks for the info! I'll put the 16.10 version in that separate OBS repo with the instructions to make it build with gcc-4.9.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13485

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-11-24, 02:08

I get a build failure now with 27.0.0; it can't find the config.status file that's being created in $(OBJDIR) which on my system is /obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/. 26.5.0 had no problem doing that. The mozconfig file I'm trying is:

Code: Select all

export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc-lib
ac_add_options --enable-gstreamer
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
I also tried it without no mozconfig file at all, and still got the same error. I'm redownloading the source on the off chance that I received a corrupted download.

Edit: redownloading the source didn't help, the missing file seems to not be in js/src:

js/src> updating cache /home/steve/Desktop/downloads/mozilla-downloads/palemoon-27.0.0/palemoon-27.0.0-source/obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/config.cache
js/src> creating ./config.status
js/src> /bin/sh: 1: ./config.status: not found
I can manually run the configure script in that folder and have it create the file, so it seems there's something preventing that from happening in the main auto build.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-11-24, 03:30

stevepusser wrote:I get a build failure now with 27.0.0; it can't find the config.status file that's being created in $(OBJDIR) which on my system is /obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/. 26.5.0 had no problem doing that.
[...deletia...]
I also tried it without no mozconfig file at all, and still got the same error. I'm redownloading the source on the off chance that I received a corrupted download.
It works for me, both for my personal builds, and for the "SSE for Linux" contributed build. In the past I've occasionally run into source files which should have execute permissions set, but do not. That resulted in the weirdest error messages when the build failed. As a matter of fact, the FAQ at one point told people building from source to...

chmod -R 755 pmsrc/
I have that command incorporated into my generic "robo-builder" script, just to be safe. Try chmod'ing all source files 755 as above, and see if that helps.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Unix Ronin

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2016-11-25, 20:35

I'm trying to update my Gentoo ebuild (which works fine up to 26.5.0) to 27.0.0, and it's completely failing. So to verify that it would actually build and see if I could get a better feel for what needs to happen, with the intention of starting the ebuild over from scratch, I tried checking out from git and following the official build instructions at http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... Moon/Linux. And that didn't work either, with multiple Python errors that I don't know enough about Python to troubleshoot.

Is the 27.0.0 Linux source considered release-stable at this point, and are there any changes to the recommended build procedure for 27.0.0 that I should know about?

(The ebuild I'm using is based on one from a different maintainer who stopped maintaining it, and I don't understand why it does a lot of the things it does, so I'm leaning strongly towards starting over and trying to make the ebuild as clean and as straightforward as possible. There's only one other overlay that offers a Gentoo ebuild for PaleMoon, it's a binary ebuild, and every release in it is masked anyway.)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-11-25, 23:15

Unix Ronin wrote:I'm trying to update my Gentoo ebuild (which works fine up to 26.5.0) to 27.0.0, and it's completely failing. So to verify that it would actually build and see if I could get a better feel for what needs to happen, with the intention of starting the ebuild over from scratch, I tried checking out from git and following the official build instructions at http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... Moon/Linux. And that didn't work either, with multiple Python errors that I don't know enough about Python to troubleshoot.
I hate to say this, but ALWAYS

chmod -R 755 pmsrc/
It seems that every major release has a few scripts sneak through without executable bits set. This ripples down to config files not being created, and the strangest error messages result..
Unix Ronin wrote:Is the 27.0.0 Linux source considered release-stable at this point, and are there any changes to the recommended build procedure for 27.0.0 that I should know about?
Hi. I run Gentoo at home. IANAD (I am not a developer), but I do a contributed Pale Moon build for SSE-only (Pentium 3 class) machines viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 The build is done via a script in a CentOS VM. But I've run into just about all the booby-traps there are to run into. While I'm not a developer/programmer, I may be able to help you with your questions "why it does a lot of the things it does". Maybe you should start a separate thread "Working on a Gentoo ebuild" in this forum. I also do a personal "-march=native" build for my desktop and a "-march=bonnell" build for my ancient netbook.

To answer your 2 immediate questions...
  1. The developers are working on moving HTML5 audio/video away from Gstreamer, and instead talking directly to ffmpeg
  2. The build procedure now uses "./mach" instead of "make".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-26, 02:37

What error message are you getting?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-11-26, 17:52

Walter Dnes wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I get a build failure now with 27.0.0; it can't find the config.status file that's being created in $(OBJDIR) which on my system is /obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/. 26.5.0 had no problem doing that.
[...deletia...]
It works for me, both for my personal builds, and for the "SSE for Linux" contributed build. In the past I've occasionally run into source files which should have execute permissions set, but do not. That resulted in the weirdest error messages when the build failed. As a matter of fact, the FAQ at one point told people building from source to...

chmod -R 755 pmsrc/
I have that command incorporated into my generic "robo-builder" script, just to be safe. Try chmod'ing all source files 755 as above, and see if that helps.
I've seen build errors every time with the unmodified .7z source download, so have to run that chmod command every time, but will now try a tar.gz of the new github 27.0.1 release, which (github) I should have been using all along. I'll also chmod it, just to make sure.

First I'll have to see if this is the one using ffmpeg instead of gstreamer, and how to configure that. Does it build an internal version like Google Chrome?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-11-26, 18:11

stevepusser wrote:First I'll have to see if this is the one using ffmpeg instead of gstreamer, and how to configure that. Does it build an internal version like Google Chrome?
I don't think ffmpeg is in use yet. A change like that would probably trigger an announcement.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-26, 18:47

stevepusser wrote:First I'll have to see if this is the one using ffmpeg instead of gstreamer, and how to configure that.
This is planned for 27.1.0. We are still using GStreamer 1.x for the moment.

Unix Ronin

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2016-11-26, 19:25

I don't see a pmsrc/ directory. I'm assuming it's a shorthand for "whatever directory you git cloned into", and did the chmod on that basis. I've made sure to eselect python-2.7 before starting. (I have 2.7 and 3.4 installed, with 3.4 my normal default.)

This is my working-draft .mozconfig:

# Please see https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml for restrictions when using the official branding.
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/home/$USER/Pale-Moon/pmbuild/

ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --disable-debug

ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc-lib
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-gstreamer
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr

ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-march=amdfam10 -g -pipe -mfpmath=sse -mcx16 -mpopcnt"
ac_add_options --with-pthreads

ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib64
And this is the result of attempting to configure:

babylon5:alaric:~/Pale-Moon:6 $ ./mach configure
Error running mach:

['configure']

The error occurred in mach itself. This is likely a bug in mach itself or a
fundamental problem with a loaded module.

Please consider filing a bug against mach by going to the URL:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Core&component=mach

If filing a bug, please include the full output of mach, including this error
message.

The details of the failure are as follows:

AssertionError

File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mach/mach/main.py", line 344, in run
    return self._run(argv)
  File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mach/mach/main.py", line 432, in _run
    instance = cls(context)
  File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 583, in __init__
    detect_virtualenv_mozinfo=detect_virtualenv_mozinfo)
  File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 165, in from_environment
    config = loader.read_mozconfig(mozconfig, moz_build_app=current_project)
  File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/mozconfig.py", line 237, in read_mozconfig
    parsed = self._parse_loader_output(output)
  File "/home/alaric/Pale-Moon/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/mozconfig.py", line 347, in _parse_loader_output
    assert not in_variable
This is in a brand new clean git clone.