Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Weishaupt

Re: Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-11-04, 12:48

I did get an e-mail from the developer of I don't care about cookies:
Hi xxx,

I would like to update it but my time and knowledge is very limited at
the moment. I requested help from the pale moon team, I hope they could
give me a hand.

idcac
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by idcac » 2016-11-23, 14:49

Weishaupt wrote:I did get an e-mail from the developer of I don't care about cookies...
I am still searching for some help, I can't do it myself. If anyone wants to help me with this extension and knows how to build firefox extensions the old way, please contact me.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-23, 15:45

Try patched version of I don't care about cookies from this topic, but carefully read the warnings.

Amaylia

Unread post by Amaylia » 2016-11-23, 16:15

I just wanted to add that I tried uBlock Origin with the portable version of palemoon 27, and the regular install of palemoon 26.5, and if you configure uBlock Origin to use all of the privacy and social filters in the "3rd-party filters" section, then it seems to block even more things than Ghostery does. So thank you for the recommendation! I already had uBlock installed before, but I had never configured it with those extra lists, and so I just relied on Ghostery to block those.

Thank you, 1210_bex for creating this topic, and thank you dark_moon for the suggestion! This is perfect. <3

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-11-23, 20:30

I am confused re Ghostery and Ublock Origin being considered a replacement.

I see easily that Ghostery is blocking two caregories: Trackers and Cookies. Further, under either category are sub-groups which i can choose to block or not. Under trackers they show Advertising, Analytics, Beacons, Privacy and Widgets. They have all the same groups except for Privacy listed under Cookies. I block 100% of everything. I have one whitelisted site, DuckDuckGo, but I never go there except as part of a search and I never see any ads on the results page. Moreover, the thought of needing 3 things (also adding NoScript & uMatrix) to replace one strikes me as illogical or, at least, not very efficient.

When I read the Ublock Origin information I see nothing mentioned besides ads. I see nothing about Beacons, Trackers, Widgets. Analytics or Privacy. Moreover, I cannot make much sense of their set-up. For Ublock origin there are a ton of lists offered, with Ghostery there is one I think.

I am assuming Origin is the one under discussion here and the the Ublock fork that omits the origin in its name?

Since I am happy staying on Windows 7, I guess I will have to be happy staying with P M 26.5.0 for a while longer as well.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

neophil78

Unread post by neophil78 » 2016-11-23, 22:50

Ghostery have no equivalent in the way of blocking (speaking specially of Ghostery 5.4.10 which is the last VERY good version). as i get also Searchonymous and No Google Abalytics are also Jetpack/SDK extensions, my solution wil be radical : I'll just give up with PaleMoon :evil:

That's a shame, lots of users counted on it to keep getting a browser without trouble with extensions like Firefox, and finally it's worth (because at least there's a Firefox patch to get around extensions restrictions)

Bye Moonchild

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-23, 23:01

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am confused re Ghostery and Ublock Origin being considered a replacement.

I see easily that Ghostery is blocking two caregories: Trackers and Cookies. Further, under either category are sub-groups which i can choose to block or not. Under trackers they show Advertising, Analytics, Beacons, Privacy and Widgets. They have all the same groups except for Privacy listed under Cookies. I block 100% of everything. I have one whitelisted site, DuckDuckGo, but I never go there except as part of a search and I never see any ads on the results page. Moreover, the thought of needing 3 things (also adding NoScript & uMatrix) to replace one strikes me as illogical or, at least, not very efficient.

When I read the Ublock Origin information I see nothing mentioned besides ads. I see nothing about Beacons, Trackers, Widgets. Analytics or Privacy. Moreover, I cannot make much sense of their set-up. For Ublock origin there are a ton of lists offered, with Ghostery there is one I think.

I am assuming Origin is the one under discussion here and the the Ublock fork that omits the origin in its name?

Since I am happy staying on Windows 7, I guess I will have to be happy staying with P M 26.5.0 for a while longer as well.
Ublock Origin is able to block trackers, beacons, and widgets.
neophil78 wrote:Ghostery have no equivalent in the way of blocking <snip>
Ublock Origin is a much superior alternative.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-23, 23:28

neophil78 wrote:Ghostery have no equivalent in the way of blocking
Try Priv3+ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/priv3plus/?src=ss

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

DLS4B

Unread post by DLS4B » 2016-11-24, 00:15

Any alternative to the Reddit Enhancement Suite?

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-24, 01:15

half-moon wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:I am confused re Ghostery and Ublock Origin being considered a replacement.

When I read the Ublock Origin information I see nothing mentioned besides ads. I see nothing about Beacons, Trackers, Widgets. Analytics or Privacy. Moreover, I cannot make much sense of their set-up.
Ublock Origin is able to block trackers, beacons, and widgets.
I have installed Ublock Origin on a portable version of PM 27 beta. Like TwoTankAmin, I am having trouble understanding their setup on blocking specific types.

Since you say Origin can block groups such as trackers, beacons & widgets, could you provide some detail on how one goes about doing that? And within each of these groups, can Origin block specific sites?

Harry

neophil78

Unread post by neophil78 » 2016-11-24, 11:18

I say it again: Ghostery in his way of functionning have NO equivalent, neither Ublock Origin, neither Priv3+ :evil:

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-24, 13:03

1210_bex wrote:
half-moon wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:Since you say Origin can block groups such as trackers, beacons & widgets, could you provide some detail on how one goes about doing that? And within each of these groups, can Origin block specific sites?

Harry
There those things can be blocked by enabling the lists under the Privacy and Social categories. Enable these lists:

-Basic tracking list by Disconnect‎
-EasyPrivacy
-Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List‎

-Anti-ThirdpartySocial (see warning inside list)‎
-Fanboy’s Annoyance List‎
-Fanboy’s Social Blocking List‎

I myself enable all the lists (minus the foreign language ones)
neophil78 wrote:I say it again: Ghostery in his way of functionning have NO equivalent, neither Ublock Origin, neither Priv3+ :evil:
Again, you're wrong on that.

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2016-11-24, 19:08

Seems like a lot of the privacy based add-ons used Jetpack, now longer working in latest Palemoon:

Blur https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/donottrackplus/?src=ss (a pain as I like the disposable email creation)
Self-Destructing Cookies https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=search (not really a big issue)
Privacy Badger https://www.eff.org/privacybadger (seems all EFF plugins won't work)
Track Me Not https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/trackmenot/?src=ss (best privacy tools are the ones that obfuscate IMO and sending fake searches is helpful)

Anyone know of alternatives to these that will work in latest Pale Moon?

P.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-24, 19:39

To get started, take a look at https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/category/privacy-and-security/.

Other FF extensions to consider include:
BetterPrivacy 1.68.1-signed
Priv3+ 0.18.2
NoScript 2.9.5.1
Controle de Scripts 1.0.3.1-signed.1-signed
TrashMail.com 2.7.3

Also see https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13745

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-24, 20:06

parpfish II wrote:Self-Destructing Cookies https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=search (not really a big issue)
See viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13589
parpfish II wrote:Privacy Badger https://www.eff.org/privacybadger (seems all EFF plugins won't work)
The EFF doesn't care about Pale Moon. I ask for a Pale Moon version but they just make firefox builds. Anyway you can uBlock which is more powerfull.

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2016-11-24, 21:39

Thanks dark_moon and Falna.

Pretty much sorted. I use Browser View, so if I need to use Blur's services I'll just open the page in Firefox.

For me, the best privacy tools are the ones that pump fake data into the privacy invasion world. I wish some clever Pale Moon coder could come up with a plugin that did 2 things:

1) Run fake search requests like Track Me Not did by randomly picking text from reputable news services and then running those to google et al.
2) Make fake background visits to real websites that are a) chosen from random searches (i.e. extend the one above, run the search, generate a number, 1 - 100, e.g. 39 would then visit the 39th link, and b) choose a starting link from a user created directory. Something akin to a lazy web-bot that goes a few clicks deep into each visit.

In the UK we've just allowed a terrible surveillance bill (Investigatory Powers Act) -- my feeling is, that such online surveillance only works well if you can trust the data. So the real solutions to many of the privacy invasions will come from undermining the data being collected, rather than trying to shut out the invasions (as per proxies etc.) i.e. hiding in the plain sight of lots of noise and little signal.

Just my two pennies worth.

P.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-24, 22:20

Off-topic:
parpfish II wrote:So the real solutions to many of the privacy invasions will come from undermining the data being collected, rather than trying to shut out the invasions
I think VPN services might see an increase in business from the UK too...

Forked extensions :

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2016-11-24, 23:05

Yes. As long as those services are located in sensible countries (becoming rare) - perhaps Iceland.

P.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2016-11-25, 00:13

parpfish II wrote:Seems like a lot of the privacy based add-ons used Jetpack, now longer working in latest Palemoon:
... Self-Destructing Cookies https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=search ...
Anyone know of alternatives to these that will work in latest Pale Moon?
1. JustOff has developed a version of "Self-Destructing Cookies" for Pale Moon 27, available at https://github.com/JustOff/pm27-sdk-addons.
2. This version of "Self-Destructing Cookies" is described as "Core functional, icon and menu disabled". That is, SDC's toolbar button is missing. Everything else appears to work in Pale Moon 27.
3. SDC uses the Firefox/Pale Moon cookies exceptions list as its cookie whitelist. The primary purpose of SDC's toolbar button is thus to edit the browser's own cookies exceptions/ whitelist.
4. "Cookie Whitelist, With Buttons" (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... 1.1-signed}-- The only purpose of Cookie Whitelist and its toolbar button(s) is also to edit this same browser cookies exceptions/ whitelist as SDC. But, unlike SDC, Cookie Whitelist's toolbar button(s) are not missing.
5. So, installing Cookie Whitelist version-2.2.1.1-signed, along with the modified version of SDC, should result in a fully functional version of SDC for Pale Moon 27.

BrokenEye

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2016-11-25, 11:00

I'm also interested in a replacement for Blur

Does anyone know why they're removing support for Jetpack/SDK extensions? The announcement page just says that no future versions of the browser will support then, but doesn't give a reason. What's up with that?