Cookies Exterminator

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff

Re: Cookies Exterminator

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-05, 10:45

Sorry, but strict domain checking is unlikely to be implemented in CE. While playing with CTC I found this option not very helpful in practice, at the same time it greatly overcomplicates the internal extension logic. So in this case your initial intention to stick with CTC was possible right.

PS: This is because of CE and CTC treat exceptions lists differently, there is no import of whitelist from CTC to CE.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2016-11-05, 21:44

I would highly recommend listing this on the PM Add-Ons site, it's great and specifically compatible!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-11-20, 04:51

Steps to import the SDC whitelist to CE please? Thanks ;) (using Add-ons Manager, the CE "Import" button opens WE interface but where do I find the SCD whitelist to presumably import to CE?) I had assumed there would be step-by-step prompts to assist in accomplishing this.... :think:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-20, 09:58

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Steps to import the SDC whitelist to CE please?
Other notes: If you have used Self-Destructing Cookies addon, white and grey lists will be automatically imported from it on first run.

Actually Cookies Exterminator is trying to import from SDC on every start, when its white & grey lists are empty.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2016-11-20, 11:15

I might have missed it, but is there any way of moving entries from grey list to white list, please?
I've just tried to edit the exported .txt file and then import it but it was corrupted - I probably borked the editing.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-20, 11:37

You can move entries from White to Grey list (and vise versa) one by one in this way: select host in the source list tab -> press Remove -> go to destination list tab -> press Add -> repeat for the next host or press Accept to finish.

If you need to do this in batch, then you can deal directly with extensions.cookies-xtrm.whitelistedDomains and extensions.cookies-xtrm.greylistedDomains preferences in about:config and then restart (disable->enable in about:addons) Cookies Exterminator.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-11-21, 00:50

Many thanks for your work JustOff. It seems to work fine with the below settings too, even if the AMO description indicates otherwise?
cookext.jpg

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-21, 11:57

back2themoon wrote:It seems to work fine with the below settings too, even if the AMO description indicates otherwise?
Thank you raised this issue! I definitely had some problems when I tried to use "custom settings for cookies and history" mode during addon development, but I can't reproduce none of them now. It seems that we need more testing, any reports and feedback are welcomed!

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2016-11-28, 04:06

Just wanted to say, thank you for contributing this add-on! I've been using it for several weeks now and it's been working spectacularly. A nice replacement for SDC, and a bit easier to configure IMHO.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-28, 10:54

Isengrim wrote:Just wanted to say, thank you for contributing this add-on! I've been using it for several weeks now and it's been working spectacularly. A nice replacement for SDC, and a bit easier to configure IMHO.
Thanks, glad to hear you found it useful!

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2016-12-08, 15:03

amazing job friend! thanks to your work on this and the sdk addons i can finally make the transition to PM 27

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-08, 20:24

fillerup wrote:amazing job friend! thanks to your work on this and the sdk addons i can finally make the transition to PM 27
You are welcome!

JustOff

Cookies Exterminator Localization

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-12, 18:48

If someone finds Cookies Exterminator useful and wants to translate it into his native language, I'd like to announce my small localization project on CrowdIn, where it could be done. Actually there are hosted four my extensions, so feel free to contribute into any of them, if you like.

:wave:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-10, 19:40

Thanks to dark_moon, tmtisfree and Sérgio Marques 'Cookies Exterminator' now has German, French and Portuguese localization. Danke! Merci! Obrigado!

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-14, 21:40

Thanks so much for building this. I was really upset at the idea of having to give up SDC for PM 27.x, this is a great alternative with some nice unique features. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Interestingly I'm noticing it popup with cleanup notifications for pages not actually loaded in the visible UI - eg for palemoon domains etc. I assume this relates to things like PM internal list updates and so on? (I don't mind it tho because I like as much info as possible about what browsers are doing "under the hood".)

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-14, 21:44

JustOff wrote:Sorry, but strict domain checking is unlikely to be implemented in CE. While playing with CTC I found this option not very helpful in practice, at the same time it greatly overcomplicates the internal extension logic.

While I can understand your reasoning, I do think subdomain-level granularity can be helpful, particularly with giant domain behemoths like Google that I may want to trash some cookies from some of their subdomains but not others. Or domains which set "once in a lifetime" cookies. (Like that advertising organization that in order to activate their "opt out of tracking" feature you have to... allow them to store a cookie in your browser.. :evil: )

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-16, 17:41

PhilK wrote:While I can understand your reasoning, I do think subdomain-level granularity can be helpful ...
Trust me, you can hardly provide actual example 'cause even google services store the most of cookies at tld level. Just block them all or keep, the strict exceptions are not useful.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-16, 22:54

JustOff wrote:
PhilK wrote:While I can understand your reasoning, I do think subdomain-level granularity can be helpful ...
Trust me, you can hardly provide actual example 'cause even google services store the most of cookies at tld level. Just block them all or keep, the strict exceptions are not useful.
Ex, various content-delivery and proxy networks like akamai and cloudfront.net often times have specific subdomains for particular customers that must be enabled for things like scripts or cookies or else those websites won't work properly. But I absolutely do not want to give the green light for any site using "cloudfront.net" or "wordpress.com" or Akamai/Cloudflare/Incapsula/etc to run scripts or store cookies on my browsers whenever they feel like it.

Not to mention domains that I own or have direct control over.

That said, I view this sort of thing as more critical for a script-blocker than a cookie storage blocker.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-04-16, 23:41

PhilK, you might want to try CrushThoseCookies by _wost. (Best suited to people who appreciate the KISS principle.)

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-16, 23:44

GreenGeek wrote:PhilK, you might want to try CrushThoseCookies by _wost. (Best suited to people who appreciate the KISS principle.)
Thanks. I may do that at some point, but I kinda liked the idea of using an extension by "one of our own" here in the Pale Moon world. (Even if for no other reason than I probably won't have to worry about PM compatibility, at least for a while)