CrowdIn is set up

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
megaman

Re: CrowdIn is set up

Unread post by megaman » 2016-11-15, 20:32

KNTRO wrote:From there on, every context changes. So, in my opinion, we should keep that way.
We can use "Usted" in MX, I don't why lobo uses the informal version of "you."
I also wanted a universal Spanish but it is hard to make the connection.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-15, 20:56

megaman wrote:We can use "Usted" in MX, I don't why lobo uses the informal version of "you."
I can't really speak on behalf of Lobocursor, but I think he may choose instead of usted because most of the Pale Moon's Mexican users may be young people.
megaman wrote:I also wanted a universal Spanish but it is hard to make the connection.
You're right —it's hard. People from Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and even Chile and Southern Brazil say tenés instead of tienes, querés instead of quieres, etc. Then there are more differences like computadora/computador, disco rígido / disco duro, hacé clic / haz clic, interface/interfaz, etc, etc, etc.

The only thing you could is create a totally formal & polite Spanish Pale Moon… But that'd be utterly boring, IBM style. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2016-11-16, 01:08

I proposed only two Spanish versions because the use of usted in such short sentences and when there is no someone whom is talking becomes somewhat tiring, at least for me, since it needs a lot more of pronouns to be written. But if the version of Spain is going that way already, then we could keep those three versions and maybe rename them.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-16, 01:36

José Labán wrote:But if the version of Spain is going that way already, then we could keep those three versions and maybe rename them
Rename them to what? :?:

In my opinion, we should keep their localization names as ISO 639 & ISO 3166 specify them. This is a very respectable standard and it has done the trick so far, unlike Google Chrome's silly es-419 [which would mean something like "Latin America & Caribbean Spanish"] or the old Opera's es-LA [which would mean something as "Latin American Spanish", but LA actually means Laos! :wtf:].

Pale Moon's bragging rights are about respect standards as much as possible. And since this thing ain't broken, we need no fixation.

Just my thoughts, of course.

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2016-11-16, 02:40

KNTRO wrote:Rename them to what? :?:
My point was to have a translation for tuteo, one for voseo and one for ustedeo, since each translation will avoid slang and therefore they are not country oriented. This way people from others countries outside from México, Spain and Argentina will not have to choose an option different than their own country.

Of course, if this conflicts with following standars, then nevermind.

complutense

Unread post by complutense » 2016-11-16, 19:01

There's many software localisations in es-ES that use the "tú" form. No big issue, we could change into that if it helped. It's true there would still be other terms and forms that differ between countries.
But I also think the standard names for locales should be followed better than some "invention", as useful as it sounds.

And yes, I've always been shocked at the concet of "Latin American Spanish" -- what would that be? It just shows a total lack of knowledge of the situation.
Anyway, any of us will understand well any of the variants. That's the beauty of a shared language, even with differences.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-17, 15:22

Today CrowdIn staff fixed bug, that prevents localization of "0" values in *.dtd files. I've updated appropriate files, please note.

Current status of most completed translations:

Czech - 100%
German - 89%
Italian - 82%
Polish - 99%
Russian - 100%
Spanish, Argentina - 94%

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, let's move on!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-17, 19:18

JustOff wrote:Today CrowdIn staff fixed bug, that prevents localization of "0" values in *.dtd files. I've updated appropriate files, please note.
They also fixed an old bug when copying strings from suggestions:
Crowdin detected Goa in the term Goanna from the Pale Moon's UA string —similar to the case with Inoreader— and therefore offered a mobile, touch style to copy suggestions. Well, now Crowdin supports Pale Moon‼ :thumbup:
JustOff wrote:Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, let's move on!
Thank YOU for taking this management task so seriously! :clap: I wish I could have your technical knowledge, so I could help you a little.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-17, 22:30

loxodont wrote:@ dark_moon

I would like to help, but didn't work with CrowdIn yet.
Questions:
1. Is it just entering a suggestion in the Suggestion Field and then Save? (-plus voting like JustOff said above)
Like JustOff say, yes.
loxodont wrote:2. I would only translate/make suggestions to those strings where I'm absolutely sure I do right - is that ok?
Any help is helpful
loxodont wrote:3. I found some default english strings with full stops at the end, but none in the german version version - what do?
Can you give example? I doesn't check yet all strings. And some doesn't need a translation.
loxodont wrote:4. I would use PM26.x de.xpi as reference and help. Do I post more specific questions here or in CrowdIn discussion/comments? (Found nothing in discussions over there)
I just translate the missing strings. Without any PM26 or else data.
loxodont wrote:5. Any suggestion where to start?
Just pick the untranslated strings :D
loxodont wrote:6. WTF do these blue bars really mean?
What blue bars?

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-17, 23:02

dark_moon wrote:
loxodont wrote:WTF do these blue bars really mean?
What blue bars?
I think loxodont is talking about these blue bars:

Those bars represent the translation progress of each file. Now they are easier to understand since they also include the percent completed.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-11-17, 23:39

THX @ dark_moon and KNTRO,

I got it in the meantime (being 'toploader')

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-18, 08:48

Sorry for not checking in with this much and kind of leaving JustOff in the deep end of the pool; I've been very busy with other matters, not all of them nice.
If there are specific questions you need me for, your best bet at this point is to send me a PM here on the forum. If administrative changes need to be made (e.g. people need rights) then just shoot me a message!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-18, 12:50

It's ok, work is going on. The main problem now is that we have too few contributors, so no independent verification occurs, even for complete translations.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-18, 14:05

JustOff wrote:It's ok, work is going on. The main problem now is that we have too few contributors, so no independent verification occurs, even for complete translations.
That's been the case for most languages up to now.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-11-18, 15:45

I report here a problem I incurred in the italian translation while doing regionNames.properties because I am afraid it may affect other languages too.
This is the only case in which I looked also "other people translations" (in general I limit so far to suggest translations when missing).

This file looks a list of country names, now I found that most of the translations already loaded (I suppose from some external file) were wrong in two ways. One was that the translated word was the language name and not the country name , the other one (and more frequent) was that the country name was plainly wrong, usually taking a country name (or even language) which was nearby in alphabetic order (but totally unrelated geographically).

I see that JustOff has apparently accepted all my "issues" so I cannot make an example if not by memory (for instance ... Palestine was suggested to be translated as Pashto !!),but I wonder what was the cause for that.

I also wonder if anybody knows a trick by which a number of words/expression (typically single-letter shortcuts, variable names, acronyms) can be translated identically in bulk, not one by one. I tried control-shift selection but it does not work. Or at least taking it and saving it with a single click (currently it can be done with two clicks on points of the screen which are apart to require a large mouse movement)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-18, 15:55

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I report here a problem I incurred in the italian translation while doing regionNames.properties because I am afraid it may affect other languages too.
Thanks, Lucio! There was a big problem in all languages. Therefore, five minutes ago I deleted all translations for regionNames.properties from all languages and made import from Firefox 38.0.5 for Czech, Polish, Russian, French, Spanish (Argentina), German, Italian, Spanish (Mexico), Spanish and Swedish. Please recheck it.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2016-11-18, 17:12

As i see, after translation is done you want someone check it and vote. I gladly would like to do, but how to check? I did not find any way to save translations from crowding. I have signed up in crowding already.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-18, 17:28

Fedor2 wrote:As i see, after translation is done you want someone check it and vote. I gladly would like to do, but how to check? I did not find any way to save translations from crowding. I have signed up in crowding already.
You can open specific language on CrowdIn and vote there, based on english source and context, when available. Or, if translation is already completed, try to download, install it in browser and use as live example. The last path is more prefered, of course.

upd: But, as far as i see your languages are only English & English US ... have I missed something?)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-18, 20:01

Attention to CrowdIn contributors: please, do not leave strings with several different translations without votes or with equal votes!

Delete wrong suggestions, if you have permissions to do so, or vote to mark the right ones!

I already wrote about it here and in PM, but it happens again and again ...

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-18, 20:14

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I report here a problem I incurred in the italian translation while doing regionNames.properties because I am afraid it may affect other languages too.
Thanks for reporting this out, Lucio. Yes, in the es-AR locale there were a lot strings with countries name kept in English or mistranslations. I think I will have to double check them later.
JustOff wrote:Attention to CrowdIn contributors: please, do not leave strings with several different translations without votes or with equal votes!

Delete wrong suggestions, if you have permissions to do so, or vote to mark the right ones!
Got it. I'm not sure if I have permission to delete them. I will keep in mind this advice from now on.