CrowdIn is set up

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

CrowdIn is set up

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-07, 12:27

With some help from the support staff over at CrowdIn, it seems like we now have a workable platform.
Now all we need is someone to manage all this and be the main contact for translators.
I've already merged the available strings from our current language packs to pre-translate the intended main languages.

https://crowdin.com/project/pale-moon

So... open to receive requests from anyone who wants to be a manager for this...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

piotrekslusarz

Re: CrowdIn is set up

Unread post by piotrekslusarz » 2016-11-07, 13:59

What about Polish?
I would like to take to perform.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-11-07, 14:10

I suggest to add Italian too. It was done in the past.

I have no time to follow this regularly (and even less to lead the entire stuff), but could collaborate (is there any tutorial about the usage of crowdin ? how do users register to take part to a specific project ?) sporadically about Italian. I also suggest you send a private message to all past translators, in they case they missed this thread refers to translation (or post an announcement with more emphasis).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-07, 15:04

Good news Moonchild, looks like it's a big step forward!

I'd like to participate in translation to Russian.

I also might take over some coordination tasks, if I had a better understanding of what is involved. Since I rather pedantic than enterprising, I have to be set on the right path to do something useful)

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-07, 17:12

Moonchild wrote:I've already merged the available strings from our current language packs to pre-translate the intended main languages.
Can you please add other languages (which have been maintained)?

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2016-11-07, 17:24

I want to help in mexican Spanish but, is lobocursor the manager of this language? If so, I will contact him to start working.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-07, 18:08

Please, people, I appreciate you wanting to jump in and help as a translator, but before anything else we'll need someone who is willing to do the managing of this (including importing other languages that I simply haven't had the opportunity to do yet, and being the main contact for translators to get up and running).

Once again, we need someone to LEAD this.

Using CrowdIn will make this task a hell of a lot simpler than it has been, since there's a ready-to-use platform now, thanks to the generosity of CrowdIn for providing their service free to Open Source projects like Pale Moon. it's pretty much handed over on a silver platter now.
Anyone willing to do some administration and becoming the authority in our community for guiding others through localization should step forward.

EDIT: All the active languages for v26 have now been flagged as target languages for the new system.

To clarify, we're looking for someone who will:
  • Be the main contact for other translators. It's important that you are at least fully fluent in English, if not native.
  • Organize a proper procedure for translation and proofreading/verification, to provide as good as possible quality in our language packs.
  • Create language packs by exporting from the platform, and make sure they get properly tested on the browser to catch any errors (remember: missing strings will completely break the UI and may prevent the browser from starting)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-07, 20:12

Moonchild wrote:• Organize a proper procedure for translation and proofreading/verification, to provide as good as possible quality in our language packs.
• Create language packs by exporting from the platform, and make sure they get properly tested on the browser to catch any errors (remember: missing strings will completely break the UI and may prevent the browser from starting)
Any how to guide available for these processes?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 01:16

KNTRO wrote:
Moonchild wrote:• Organize a proper procedure for translation and proofreading/verification, to provide as good as possible quality in our language packs.
No, but I'm sure I can help with any questions.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-08, 09:16

Moonchild wrote:I've already merged the available strings from our current language packs to pre-translate the intended main languages.
As far as I see, there are a significant amount of files, that we can upload from Firefox 38 locales to speedup translation process for the resources, that currently have 0% status. This mainly applies to the devtools and xslt sections, but not limited thereto. Can regular translators get some special permission for that task or it's possible only for project owner or manager?

P.S. While I can't pretend to lead the translation, because I'm neither fully fluent, nor native English speaker, I intend to do my best to help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 10:21

Any translator should be able to "upload translations", and feeding it Mozilla files. But, important, these translations MUST be checked so we don't end up with a bunch of "Firefox this" and "Firefox that" strings in the language packs.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-08, 10:28

Is there a reason to have this files?

Code: Select all

.mkdir.done
bookmarks.html
chrome.manifest
en-US.manifest
firefox-l10n.js
install.rdf
localstore.rdf
mimeTypes.rdf

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-08, 10:29

Moonchild wrote:Any translator should be able to "upload translations"
Unfortunately currently I've forced to use interactive mode, this is why I've asked.
2016-11-08_12-24-09.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 11:54

KNTRO wrote:
Since I have a little more time to explain now:

A proper procedure for translating/proofreading should be organizing assignments of people to languages:
  • Translators into target languages can be anyone who has sufficient understanding of the target language to write in it.
  • Proofreaders for languages should be native in the language, or at least have professional level fluency.
I understand this may be a problem for our community so "best effort" is good enough.

Creating language packs:
  • You may want to have a look at how the repository is set up for Pale Moon localization. The tools there (mainly batch files) will show you the expected structure and naming conventions for language packs, and how they are packed.
  • Exporting from CrowdIn should be done with "untranslated strings replaced" which will insert en-US for missing strings. I haven't educated myself in-depth with their interface yet so i can't tell you how or where to do this. This is important because language packs that have actually strings missing will break the browser
  • Testing should be as simple as installing the language pack XPI and going through all interfaces/menus/dialogs to see if everything looks OK and isn't broken.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-08, 14:04

Moonchild wrote:Any translator should be able to "upload translations", and feeding it Mozilla files. But, important, these translations MUST be checked so we don't end up with a bunch of "Firefox this" and "Firefox that" strings in the language packs.
Since only project owner or managers (currently we have no one) can upload files, I'd like to ask you to import this file into Russian locale. "Firefox this" and "Firefox that" verified, current translate status of corresponding files is 0% (one file - 2%).

UPD: Ups, sorry, just fixed "en-US/locale/en_US" tree, file updated in place.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 19:57

It's an invalid zip archive. it can't be imported.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-08, 20:27

Moonchild wrote:It's an invalid zip archive. it can't be imported.
Hmm.. Seems like I got confused in directories. Could you please give me right sample, for example current version of Russian locale from CowdIn?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-08, 20:57

I create a account but when i try to translate a file i get that error in error console:
Error: Pale Moon can't establish a connection to the server at wss://ws-lb.crowdin.com/.
Source File: https://d1ztvzf22lmr1j.cloudfront.net/j ... 1478504476
Line: 2483

Error: The connection to wss://ws-lb.crowdin.com/ was interrupted while the page was loading.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 22:22

JustOff wrote:
Moonchild wrote:It's an invalid zip archive. it can't be imported.
Hmm.. Seems like I got confused in directories. Could you please give me right sample, for example current version of Russian locale from CowdIn?
It's not a directory structure problem. there is literally an issue with the zip archive itself. I don't know what you used to zip it up but it's broken.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 22:23

dark_moon wrote:I create a account but when i try to translate a file i get that error in error console:
Error: Pale Moon can't establish a connection to the server at wss://ws-lb.crowdin.com/.

Error: The connection to wss://ws-lb.crowdin.com/ was interrupted while the page was loading.
You're likely blocking too much stuff again.