Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-20, 21:46

As I mentioned in another post, I am testing the portable version of 27.0.0b1 (x86). I started by copying the Profile I use from 26.5.0 (x86) {not portable}. First , I as amazed at how few problems I have found so far. You guys have done a great job. I ran the v27 Compatibility Checker, and found three SDK conflicts.

I understand that for lots of reasons v27, and ongoing, will not accept Add-ons that use SDK. I searched, and could not find anywhere, something similar to the Workarounds list that is part of the 'Known Incompatible Add-ons' page you created for V25+.

So below are the three Add-ons I use that have SDK conflicts. If anyone has suggestions for similar Add-ons that work with v27, I would appreciate your posting them here.

Ghostery 5.4.4.1-signed [Ghostery has redesigned their program with versions 6 and 7. I saw lots of complaints on their website about these new versions. and the pop-up message says they are not compatible, but I tried to download V7 anyway. When I try, I get a message from the Mozilla addonsite which says "The add-on downloaded from addons.mozilla.org could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt". But when I try to download it to Firefox 42 (for which it is also not compatible), I get no such message and can install it if I wish. Strange.]

Awesome screenshot 2.4.4.1-signed

Auto-Sort Bookmarks 2.7.1-signed

Again, any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

Harry

dark_moon

Re: Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-20, 22:17

As ghostery alternative i recommend uBlock and if you need more control use that with NoScript & uMatrix.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-22, 00:33

dark_moon:

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try.

Harry

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2016-10-23, 08:57

You can also try Disconnect Me. There is a free version and, according to the tool, it will work fine on Pale Moon ver 27. I use both Ghostery 5x and Disconnect Me on Pale Moon for a long while. I prefer the GUI for Ghostery 5x but other than that they both have excellent detection, but Disconnect GUI is best on Chromium based browsers. (Firefox uses the Disconnect library for its built in tracking protection).

https://disconnect.me/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-23, 09:14

Disconnect is the same as Adblock Plus. Both have a company which sell user data and use "acceptable ads".
I would not trust disconnect.

Also disconnect have bad filter.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2016-10-23, 13:38

Huh? Why do you accuse Mozilla's Fx Tracking Protection of bad filter and ads? Firefox's builtin Tracking Protection is outstanding especially if you use the strictest of the two lists. There are no ads and it's Ghostery that supposedly sells the user's data yet I have used Ghostery (not ver 6 or 7) since inception. But Fx's builtin Disconnect is nothing short of outstanding. It is one of the very few things that Mozilla is doing right with Fx these days. (Pale Moon is my default browser for many reasons but I also use many other browsers and Tracking Protection in Fx turned on not just for privacy mode but for the browser in general is great and I wish Pale Moon had it). Disconnect is the same thing but available for other browsers besides Fx. Disconnect's only problem is a lousy GUI on Pale Moon. On Fx, builtin, it is much better and calling up web developer/web console let's you exactly what is being blocked.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-10-23, 14:36

Smokey20 wrote:Huh? Why do you accuse Mozilla's Fx Tracking Protection of bad filter and ads? Firefox's builtin Tracking Protection is outstanding especially if you use the strictest of the two lists. There are no ads and it's Ghostery that supposedly sells the user's data yet I have used Ghostery (not ver 6 or 7) since inception. But Fx's builtin Disconnect is nothing short of outstanding. It is one of the very few things that Mozilla is doing right with Fx these days. (Pale Moon is my default browser for many reasons but I also use many other browsers and Tracking Protection in Fx turned on not just for privacy mode but for the browser in general is great and I wish Pale Moon had it). Disconnect is the same thing but available for other browsers besides Fx. Disconnect's only problem is a lousy GUI on Pale Moon. On Fx, builtin, it is much better and calling up web developer/web console let's you exactly what is being blocked.
Smokey20,
everyone is free to believe whatever he wants, but do you have specific answers for these:

Is it clear to you what the TP actually ''catches'' and what ''misses'' ?
If a site breaks, is something else that you can do, than disable the protection altogether?
Do you know how often the database is updated and what is in their whitelist and why ?
Since you open the web console do you have a clear answer why some specific elements are blocked in some sites and not blocked in some others?
What is your opinion about the company behind the extension and the other services it provides.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-30, 20:49

In my original post, two of the add-ons I have which used SDK extensions are:

Awesome screenshot 2.4.4.1-signed
Auto-Sort Bookmarks 2.7.1-signed

I have found alternatives for both that work on V 27 beta.
I replaced Awesome screenshot with Screengrab (fix version) which is on the Pale Moon Add-on page. Screengrab seems to have more flexibility than Awesome screenshot. The resulting images appear to have about the same resolution.

Replacing Auto-Sort Bookmarks took more searching to find something as capable. I settled on an old program, named SortPlaces. But it is not easy to find. It seems that several years ago there was a dispute between the program author and Mozilla.The author stopped all development, and Mozilla removed the program from its Add-on page.

The program can be found, and some history on the dispute, here:
http://daniel-lange.com/archives/71-Syn ... d-ons.html

Part way down the page, under Updates, you will find this entry:
18.06.2013: Improved version v1.9.2B of SortPlaces. Click on the link text ‘sortplaces-1.9.2B-sm-fx.xpi' to download it.

You can also find a User Guide at:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20101025 ... ortplaces/

It seems to be a great program, and too bad it is no longer being supported. It also runs on Ver. 26.

Harry

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-30, 21:17

Thanks 1210_bex, SortPlaces looks indeed excellent. Wouldn't it be great if the author joined forces with Pale Moon? ;)

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-30, 23:46

back2themoon wrote:Thanks 1210_bex, SortPlaces looks indeed excellent. Wouldn't it be great if the author joined forces with Pale Moon? ;)
Yes it would. But from reading about it, it appears he has retired, which is a shame.

Harry

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-10-31, 00:01

In reply to my original post about my need to replace Ghostery 5.4.4.1-signed, I got suggestions for both uBlock Origin and Disconnect. Since Disconnect does not explicitly remove ads, I installed both---uBlock Origin 1.9.16, and Disconnect 3.15.3.1-signed.1-signed.

So far they seem to coexist just fine. I have tested them on quite a few websites which in the past have had lots of ads, or Ghostery indicated quite a few attempts to gather data. I have only found one problem so far. uBlock (which I am running with the recommended initial settings) does not seem to allow drop downs showing alternate spellings or phrases when one is typing in a word. I can whitelist the page, but then the ads on that page are not blocked.

Otherwise, I am quite pleased so far--although uBlock can be modified far beyond my capabilities!

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions.

Harry

dave on linux

Unread post by dave on linux » 2016-11-01, 00:31

Up to now I'm using "Bookmark Shortcut Keys 0.76.1" which allows links in the bookmark bar to be accessed through ctrl+1...9 shortcuts. I mostly use it for bookmarklets (i.e. executing some javascript on the currently shown page). Anybody know of a non-jetpack addon that does that as well (the more simple the better, don't care about configurability)?
1210_bex wrote:I have only found one problem so far. uBlock (which I am running with the recommended initial settings) does not seem to allow drop downs showing alternate spellings or phrases when one is typing in a word.
On what site? Likely it uses some external js library to offer that capability, so just whitelisting that instead everything may be sufficient.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-01, 04:02

dave on linux wrote:On what site? Likely it uses some external js library to offer that capability, so just whitelisting that instead everything may be sufficient.
I have found a couple of sites so far, but here is one:
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/

Just start typing something in the Search box. Without Disconnect running, or by whitelisting the whole page, you will see the dropdown.

If it is an external js library, how would I determine that, and then how would I whilelist just that in Disconnect?

Harry

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-11-01, 07:58

Decentraleyes
I don't care about cookies

Here's the developer's post on GitHub about Decentraleyes concerning PM 27:
Thanks for letting me know you are interested in continued Pale Moon support. I'm trying my best to keep Decentraleyes running on Pale Moon, but it is becoming increasingly hard for me to keep it compatible.

Pale Moon is moving away from Jetpack, and Firefox is moving away from XPCOM/XUL. I'm currently porting Decentraleyes to WebExtensions to keep it compatible with future versions of Firefox. A new Pale Moon version of Decentraleyes would need to be a completely separate XPCOM/XUL add-on.

Personally, I lack the time and resources to maintain a Pale Moon fork. I would, however, be happy to support official Pale Moon builds and work together with anyone who would like to help out. I will also see if it's possible for me to roll out a (minimum viable) Pale Moon 27 compatible release.
I don't know anything about the fate of I don't care about cookies though, but I'm sending the developer an e-mail to find out.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-01, 11:50

For I don't care about cookies, there is a list version you can add in uBlock Origin or Adblock Latitude.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2016-11-01, 13:09

The EU: Prebake - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices‎ filter I presume? Thank you.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-11-01, 13:11

sIDcORK wrote:The EU: Prebake - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices‎ filter I presume? Thank you.
Not that one, but the one you can find in the extension's webpage.

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-11-01, 13:24

back2themoon wrote: Not that one, but the one you can find in the extension's webpage.
Problem solved, thank you! uBlock Origin becomes more powerful by the day now.

dave on linux

Unread post by dave on linux » 2016-11-01, 14:24

1210_bex wrote:
dave on linux wrote:On what site? Likely it uses some external js library to offer that capability, so just whitelisting that instead everything may be sufficient.
I have found a couple of sites so far, but here is one:
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/

Just start typing something in the Search box. Without Disconnect running, or by whitelisting the whole page, you will see the dropdown.

If it is an external js library, how would I determine that, and then how would I whilelist just that in Disconnect?
I can't help you with configuring Disconnect (as I don't use it, maybe someone else can chime in?) but the only source I needed to whitelist (aside the 1st party site itself) is scripts from img.tfd.com. uMatrix that I use shows which kind of elements from what sources were blocked (on that site it was only said script, so very easy to see and correct), and one can temporally or permanently en- and disable blocking for each element.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2016-11-01, 15:13

Not that one, but the one you can find in the extension's webpage.
Oh, the Add to Adblock Plus link! Took a while to work that out, but thank you.