Web page embedded Flash Player video part freezing on page scroll

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Web page embedded Flash Player video part freezing on page scroll

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-23, 18:34

New problem with embedded Adobe flash player that only occurs in Pale Moon.

As of the time a scroll down of the page is done while the Flash Player is playing the video will then freeze and all video controls are disabled but the audio will continue (sometimes just a small amount of page scroll will cause this problem other times a larger amount of scrolling is necessary). It's like the video is locked at that point when the page is scrolled but sound continues to play.

Testing in other browsers (FF, Chrome, IE, Opera etc) I can scroll as much as I want and the video continues to play fine as has been the case with Pale Moon as well in the very recent past.

I am able to scroll up or down as much as I want in other browsers and the video part of the Flash Player will continue to work and the video controls remain accessible as well.

It appears this issue with Pale Moon is relatively new because just in the past week or so this problem did not occur and the last time Pale Moon was updated in my case was on the date of 9/28/16 for the release of v26.5, so it seems to me the issue may not be directly related specifically to the most recent Pale Moon build but something is now uniquely impacting Pale Moon. :think:

The next video will work again that starts up after the video that is locked, but same problem with scrolling the page will occur.

Discovered an important point before posting: If I leave the page (click on a different tab) and then return to the video (click on the video tab again) then the video will be working again and video controls are restored as well. (scrolling the page however causes the same issue once again)

Example page where I discovered the issue this morning: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/23/3-dead-in-california-tour-bus-semi-truck-collision.html

Flash Player info:
video info - right-click.png
Question: Is anyone else getting this same problem for PM v26.5?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Web page embedded Flash Player video part freezing on page scroll

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-31, 02:36

Pale Moon Rising wrote: Question: Is anyone else getting this same problem for PM v26.5?
I guess nobody else has this problem since my post left the front page with zero replies.

Here is another site example: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/10/30/stingray-injuries-spike-at-southern-california-beach.html (as noted above, the video starts back up if I click on another tab and back to video tab again, but the video will freeze again if I scroll again, except for the audio which continues to play in any case).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2016-10-31, 03:54

I loaded the page and started scrolling as soon as the video started up. It played fine the whole time. I tried scrolling with the mouse wheel, then the scroll bar, and still it played fine. The video properly moved so I could still see it upon scrolling down. I can't reproduce the issue.
Pale Moon 26.5 x64, Win 7, Flash 23.0.0.205

It also played fine in PM 27b3.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-31, 14:45

^ Thanks for the feedback, at least I know it's my unresolved problem. :wave: (after spending an hour with same results I'll just avoid scrolling on this site when playing videos ;))

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2016-10-31, 16:50

You are not alone PMR, I too have this issue (PM 26.5 x86).
I have found that scrolling the video out of the screen and then back in seems to get the video back, not a fix though. No problem with same vids in FF.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2016-10-31, 22:03

PMR, I'm not sure this matters, but your info re Flash Player indicates that you're running Flash 23.0.0.185, whereas Cassette, who reported no problems, is apparently running a later version, Flash 23.0.0.205.
PM 29.1.1(32-bit) on Win10 Professional 64-bit

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2016-11-01, 02:46

I went ahead and tested it on my Surface tablet and it played fine there, too. It has an old version of Flash because I haven't used it in awhile, but I went ahead and updated Pale Moon to the latest release. It may be worth trying out a clean profile to rule out a profile problem.
Pale Moon 26.5 x64, Win 8.1, Flash 18.0.0.352

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-11-01, 05:57

cyberreine wrote:PMR, I'm not sure this matters, but your info re Flash Player indicates that you're running Flash 23.0.0.185, whereas Cassette, who reported no problems, is apparently running a later version, Flash 23.0.0.205.
Good observation, I updated to the current Flash 23.0.0.205, but unfortunately this made no difference as I still get the same results as before.