Tip: using a ramdisk for cache

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
mr666

Re: Tip: using a ramdisk for cache

Unread post by mr666 » 2012-11-11, 08:07

in about:config add

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory R:\
#200mb is PM default MAX
#browser.cache.disk.capacity 200000

greebo

Please, can you explain this step by step?
Should I create new values ?

If I use it as TEMP system disk, other than everything just said my concerns regards in addition, if the
RAMDisk is too small and Palemoon's advise is 100 MB, the TEMP directory may fill up but many applications do not handle a full TEMP directory gracefully.
Paolo

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-11-11, 09:46

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory don't exist, so you must create this first
And then only change the value from browser.cache.disk.capacity or change this in the PM menu: settings -> extended -> network -> cache limit to 200 MB

mr666

Unread post by mr666 » 2012-11-11, 19:00

May be I have to change location to cache folder on myfolder/localsettings/application data/profiles/ to diskram yet?
Paolo

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2013-12-22, 08:19

Hi !

Free Ramdisk

You can get a FREE Ramdisk from: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk
Max Ramdisksize= 4GB !
That should be enough for both PaleMoon´s browsercache & Tempfiles.... :mrgreen:
The paid version support even bigger sizes.
On a 32-bit O/S with more than 4GB it can use the "normally unaccessable" menory above 4GB ( > 3.2GB )

I´ve been using their ramdisk for years, it works perfectly and has never caused any problems.
It has an option to save an image of the ramdisk when shutting down the computer,
so you can save the content and then have it reloaded when you reboot.
The image loads very fast, in just a few seconds, so there is no considerable delay when booting up.

Regarding installationfiles in temp-folder needed after reboot as mentioned in previous posts above

There is a simple solution to that problem, for safetyreasons you should only use the ADMIN-account for maintenance,
not for normal work ( surfing etc.).
You should always use a USER-account (standard) for normal work.

Change the path to the tempfolder only on the USER-account, and keep the original path for the ADMIN-account.
Since the ADMIN-account is needed for software installations (UAC-prompt....), those installationfiles will not be on the ramdisk....

In fx. W7 the path is changed under Control Panel → User Accounts → left menu: "Change my environment variables"

Personaly i have had the cache, plus Firefox and the profile on (the same) ramdisk for years...
Now i´m testing the same setup with PaleMoon.
I´ve got a 2Gb ramdisk, partioned as 1GB (NTFS with diskcompression) for programs, and 1GB (exfat) for tempfiles and browsercache.

With NTFS you can also use the built-in (on W7 etc.) diskcompression, to squeeze in as much as possible into the ramdisk, and also get a bit more speed.
Decompression takes extra time, but it´s less data to read / write...
I´ve seen people posting on Linux-forums saying a compressed ramdisk speeds up the computer, so i assume the same applies on a Windows-O/S.
Start testing....

I don´t save the ramdisk when shutting down / rebooting because it takes about 1-2 minutes,
which means i get an automatic "cache-cleaning" every time i start my PC.
After i have fx. upgraded Firefox to a new version then i just save the ramdisk manually, so i don´t loose the new version after rebooting.

Try that setup if you want speed.... :mrgreen:
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2014-11-17, 05:39

An important update to my post above which I unfortunately cannot edit anymore: Get SoftPerfect Ramdisk instead of Dataram !
It´s also FREE, and it´s much faster...
https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.