Download Flash and Video download problem

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SGvagon

Re: Download Flash and Video download problem

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-07-30, 21:24

Version 1.85 still not working on flash players, only on Youtube :| .

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-07-30, 22:08

Yeah, I noticed.

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-07-30, 22:18

SGvagon wrote:Version 1.85 still not working on flash players, only on Youtube :| .
Does that mean it now works on Pale Moon?
Coz last i checked, only the modified version with links in this forum worked, at all, on Pale Moon. Any more recent version did nothing.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-07-30, 23:33

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Does that mean it now works on Pale Moon?
Coz last i checked, only the modified version with links in this forum worked, at all, on Pale Moon. Any more recent version did nothing.
It can still be easely be modified to work with Pale Moon.
However, all versions released after v1.80 are limited to YouTube only, while older versions works everywhere!
So really, the v1.80 mod is still the version that you'll want to use.

--

If you want to use a newer version regardlessly, you can make your own modified build..
Here's how:

1) Download the extension from here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... and-video/
(right-click on the "Add to Firefox" button and choose "Save Link As...")

2) Extract the downloaded XPI file with an archiver, like 7-Zip:
http://www.7-zip.org/

3) Open the following file with a text editor (Notepad will do just fine):
chrome\content\overlay.js

4) Locate this line:

Code: Select all

if (this.VersionInfo.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("26")) {
5) Change "26" to a higher number (e.g. "29") and save the file.

6) Repack all files/folders into a ZIP archive with any name.
(make sure that you keep the original folder structure)

7) Change the archive's file extension from ZIP to XPI

8) Install the modified build by dragging the XPI file into Pale Moon's 'Extensions' window (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions).

-Done!

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-07-31, 01:17

Tomaso wrote:
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Does that mean it now works on Pale Moon?
It can still be easely be modified to work with Pale Moon.
However, all versions released after v1.80 are limited to YouTube only, while older versions works everywhere!
So really, the v1.80 mod is still the version that you'll want to use.
Thanks, that might be useful to someone else.
I'm just using flashgot until Flash and Video works again.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-07-31, 01:47

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:I'm just using flashgot until Flash and Video works again.
What do you mean?
The v1.80 mod works just fine, both on YouTube and elsewhere.

There's only one small issue..
According to SGvagon, it doesn't work if you're logged on @ YouTube.
You need to be logged off!

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-07-31, 01:49

Tomaso wrote:
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:I'm just using flashgot until Flash and Video works again.
What do you mean?
The v1.80 mod works just fine, both on YouTube and elsewhere.

There's only one small issue..
According to SGvagon, it doesn't work if you're logged on @ YouTube.
You need to be logged off!
flashgot works everywhere and i don't have to logoff every time i want to save a video.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-07-31, 01:52

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:flashgot works everywhere and i don't have to logoff every time i want to save a video.
You mean to say that you're constantly logged on to YouTube/Google?
Why?

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-07-31, 03:50

Tomaso wrote:
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:flashgot works everywhere and i don't have to logoff every time i want to save a video.
You mean to say that you're constantly logged on to YouTube/Google?
Why?
Because i watch videos in my feed and like or dislike and comment. When i'm on Youtube, i'm on Youtube.
There's also notifications for comments.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-10-15, 00:15

Here's a modified build of Download Flash and Video v2.02 for Pale Moon v27 (beta 2 or newer):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oax82s2if ... MOD%29.zip
..and yes, it works with other sites, besides YouTube! :)

Big thanks to GMforker for posting the necessary instructions!:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13363#p95022

--

For Pale Moon v26 or older, use the modified v1.80 build instead:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=40#p78672

--

EDIT:
BTW; I won't be posting modified builds anymore:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13363&p=95030#p95028

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2016-12-10, 13:02

@GMforker, @Tomaso

I tried to apply similar coding logic to the newest version of Download Flash and Video v2.03 but it seems they changed quite a lot.
No such mentioning of "Version" in chrome\content\overlay.js

I looked into files referenced and finally found this one:
modules/VersionInfo.js

var EXPORTED_SYMBOLS = ["VersionInfo"];
var { classes: Cc, interfaces: Ci, utils: Cu, results: Cr } = Components;

Cu.import("resource://flashVideoDownload/log.js");

var log;    // module

var VersionInfo = new function() {
	this.version = null;
	this.versionChecker = null;

this.init = function() {
        this.setVersion();
        this.setVersionChecker();
    };    

this.setVersion = function() {
        var appInfo = Cc["@mozilla.org/xre/app-info;1"]
            .getService(Ci.nsIXULAppInfo);
        this.version = appInfo.version;
    };

this.setVersionChecker = function() {
        this.versionChecker = Cc["@mozilla.org/xpcom/version-comparator;1"]
            .getService(Ci.nsIVersionComparator);    	
    };

this.getVersion = function() {
    	return this.version;
    };

this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual = function(compareToVersion) {
        return this.versionChecker.compare(this.version, compareToVersion) >= 0;
    };

this.hasAddonBar = function() {        
        return this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("4") && !this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("29");
    };

this.hasStatusBar = function() {        
        return !this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("4");
    };

this.isVersion4 = function() {
        return this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("4");
    };

this.isVersion29 = function() {
        return this.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("29");
    };

this.init();
};
I have no idea what there should be done, and also, it reports "not compatible with PM 27.0.2" when trying to manually install it via the local file, and it reports "Not available for Firefox 27.9" when trying to install it via https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... and-video/

Any ideas?
yours truly, Rava

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-12-10, 14:05

Raava wrote:I tried to apply similar coding logic to the newest version of Download Flash and Video v2.03 but it seems they changed quite a lot.
Yeah, I've noticed.
Unless someone comes up with a new fix, we'll just have to stay with the v2.02 mod for the time being.
Only downside is that we need to enter the proper filename and extension type manually.
Besides that, it works just fine!

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2016-12-10, 18:58

Versions 2.02 and 2.03 of this "Download Flash and Video" add-on are designed for Firefox 38 and higher, not for Pale Moon. Try instead to modify version 1.86 of this add-on, which is already somewhat compatible with Pale Moon and more easily modified.

Version 1.86 runs on all versions of Firefox 1.5 and above. Thus, version 1.86 should also run and does run on Pale Moon 27. Version 1.86 is also very recent (Released August 15, 2016, just one month prior to version 2.02). However, the chrome.manifest file for version 1.86 needs to be modified to use "overlay.xul" in Pale Moon, instead of an older overlay file. Following is the modified chrome.manifest (which consists of the old chrome.manifest file minus some entries). Note, it is NOT necessary, only optional, to modify the install.rdf file.

overlay	chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://flashVideoDownload/content/overlay.xul
overlay	chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul chrome://flashVideoDownload/content/overlay.xul
content flashVideoDownload  chrome/content/
content flashVideoDownload  chrome/content/ contentaccessible=yes
resource    flashVideoDownload  modules/
skin    flashVideoDownload  classic/1.0 chrome/skin/
style   chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul    chrome://flashVideoDownload/skin/main.css

locale  flashVideoDownload	en-US	chrome/locale/en-US/
locale  flashVideoDownload	fr-FR	chrome/locale/fr-FR/
locale  flashVideoDownload	hu-HU	chrome/locale/hu-HU/
locale  flashVideoDownload	ko-KP	chrome/locale/ko-KP/
locale  flashVideoDownload	ko-KR	chrome/locale/ko-KR/
locale  flashVideoDownload	zh-CN	chrome/locale/zh-CN/
locale  flashVideoDownload	nl	chrome/locale/nl/
locale  flashVideoDownload	pt-BR	chrome/locale/pt-BR/
locale  flashVideoDownload	sr	chrome/locale/sr/

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-12-10, 22:26

riiis wrote:Versions 2.02 and 2.03 of this "Download Flash and Video" add-on are designed for Firefox 38 and higher, not for Pale Moon. Try instead to modify version 1.86 of this add-on, which is already somewhat compatible with Pale Moon and more easily modified.
The reason why we don't use any 1.8x versions above v1.80:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=60#p87353

The version you need to use with Pale Moon v27.x:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=80#p95026

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2016-12-12, 07:36

riiis wrote:Versions 2.02 and 2.03 of this "Download Flash and Video" add-on are designed for Firefox 38 and higher, not for Pale Moon.
But the altered 2.02 works just fine for the most recent PM, and that's what counts. :D
yours truly, Rava

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2016-12-28, 18:22

Tomaso, hopefully you can give me some heads up. Some (rare) sites start plaing a streaming video, but I cannot download it. The icon only gets blue, but not red. Also, the only thing to be seen when I click the icon is some flashplayer.swf, but never an actual video. I tried looking on the help page and also looked through the questions on the mozilla/plugin page but found no helpful info on what the blue icon really stand for. The only info was "blue icon - pre-loading much quicker than in the older version" or such. But no info what really is about with the not-downloading.
And I thought, since the coders won't acknowledged PM anyway, that there is no need to ask any of them anyway... (I presume they would say "Use FFx and the newest version of the Plugin"...
yours truly, Rava

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2017-02-04, 15:12

Tomaso wrote:Here's a modified build of Download Flash and Video v2.02 for Pale Moon v27 (beta 2 or newer):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oax82s2if ... MOD%29.zip
..and yes, it works with other sites, besides YouTube! :)

Big thanks to GMforker for posting the necessary instructions!:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13363#p95022
--
For Pale Moon v26 or older, use the modified v1.80 build instead:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=40#p78672
--
EDIT:
BTW; I won't be posting modified builds anymore:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13363&p=95030#p95028
INTRODUCTION :

This post is an attempt to summarize what has been happening lately with extensions which were written to let us download YouTube and similar video clip streams, and will mention mostly examples of extensions (and versions of them) which WILL allow themselves to be installed, and which DO show all of their required UI elements after installation.

Recently, I have again been testing various extensions for Video Downloading (from YouTube), and have again found this and a few other relevant threads in the Pale Moon forum.

OBSERVATIONS :

Regardless of the version of Pale Moon (though I am testing back and forth with Pale Moon 25.8.0 and 27.0.3 and also with SeaMonkey 2.39, to see what commonalities of solution can be found), one observation which I have reached agrees with a post upthread which states that Video Download Helper 4.9.24 requires that the user choose (in YouTube Settings) the desired resolution, then reload the page, and VDH 4.9.24 will then see that particular resolution, and it then can usually capture and download the clip.

I also have noticed and agree that some of this family of extensions will not notice and offer all possible clips which a YouTube page may have available (or not notice any), and that VDH 4.9.24 sometimes will offer and download some YT clips that everything else so far will not, subject to the above-stated procedure.

Most versions Flash Video Downloader seem to be in that category.

Or, some of this family of extensions will notice and offer some downloads of a clip, but will fail to do so when we follow thru, yielding either a file of zero bytes, or no file at all in the local destination folder, and sometimes a history entry for that attempt, and other times not - and in such a case, VDH 4.9.24 often will have success in both offering and downloading some of them, again subject to the above-stated procedure.

The above observations seem to hold true for PM 25.8.0 (and usually for SeaMonkey 2.39), though PM 27.x will not accept Jetpack-based extensions, which removes newer versions of VDH and FVD (and some other similar purposed extensions) from 'the race'.

PM 27.x also seems to break the older VDH 4.9.24, but for other reasons - it installs but does not work properly.

BOTTOM LINE :

The point which I have reached is that I wish to find (first for PM 25.8.0) an extension which will offer and download the video clips from many YouTube pages for which other extensions are either missing the clips completely or offering them with no result, without my having to do the extra steps which VDH 4.9.24 requires.

This is even more important if I choose to go to PM 27+, as VDH 4.9.24 installs but fails there, and newer VDH editions cannot be installed due to being Jetpack, IIRC.

And BTW, although I can install it, even the patched versions of Download Flash & Video fail to either see the clips (or fail to complete the downloads - I forget which) on many YouTube pages, so it is not a candidate, based on my own tests of it.

Thank You everyone for reading and thinking about all of this.
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2017-02-04, 15:55, edited 3 times in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-04, 15:48

1. VDH license states: "You are free to use Video DownloadHelper with any of the applications or services offered by Mozilla". So actually you have no rights to use it with Pale Moon.
  2. Latest VDH 6.2.0 works well with upcoming Pale Moon 27.1 (via Moon Tester Tool).
If you want to use VDH ask the author to support Pale Moon officially (according PMkit documentation draft).

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2017-02-04, 16:14

JustOff wrote: ....Latest VDH 6.2.0 works well with upcoming Pale Moon 27.1 (via Moon Tester Tool)....
Thanks for the heads up.

So VDH 6.2.0 works with PM 27.1 ?

This is encouraging.

However, that said, will it see the many YT clips which its predecessor sees (and its competitors do not), and without the extra steps which I outlined above ?

Here is an example of a YT page which can be used to test it (and any other candidate extensions with any versions of Pale Moon), since I have no access to PM 27.1 builds yet :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uz-CJ3B0Iw

In my own tests with PM 25.8.0, Flash Video Downloader 13.2.3 activates but cannot detect any downloads at that page, while VDH 4.9.24 sees and succeeds in downloading a usable complete 360p resolution MP4 file of about 275 MB in size.

Thanks.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-04, 16:28

Pale Moon 27.1.0 + VDH 6.2.0 (forced install):
palemoon_2017-02-04_18-17-41.png
But I strongly advise you to contact the VDH authors and ask for official Pale Moon support.