Pale Moon Commander. Russian localization

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
DmFedorov

Pale Moon Commander. Russian localization

Unread post by DmFedorov » 2016-06-14, 23:55

I have translate it. (was too much mistakes)
(even such as <!ENTITY pmcommander.sec.padlock.style.tabs.right "In the tabs bar, right side"> .. "В панели состояния, справа" instead "В панели вкладок..")
commander@palemoon.org.xpi
(102.27 KiB) Downloaded 475 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Commander. Russian localization

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-15, 06:04

Thanks for your assistance!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-15, 09:49

I had a look at it -- I'm sorry but you seem to think that this is a descriptive document -- it's not. You added a lot of lengthy labels and parenthesized explanations that have no business being in dialog boxes. e.g. you don't need to provide an explanation of GL or ICC, and you shouldn't translate the name of the extension with the original in parentheses after it.

Please keep translations concise, to-the point, and verify that all text comparably fits.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

DmFedorov

Unread post by DmFedorov » 2016-06-15, 11:10

I don't claim to be the official translator of this extension.
I had been doing many translations, and I know what demands the explanation, and what not.
Understand correctly: write "acronyms' and find meaning from ​​5-20 values is quite difficult.
The main thing is to bring the correct meaning.

In my opinion it is high-quality translation.
(Except for those places that I could not check. About these places I decided not to tell you and not to bother you, I just translated words.)
You can use my translation if you wish, or not.
Translation require no additional questions.
When I did translation, then I tested it on the German version (in disputable places). German is all right.
-----------
Maybe later I will see some incorrect places in translation.
But explanations (if enough space and if i don't know what it is) I consider necessary.
---------------
and you shouldn't translate the name of the extension with the original in parentheses after it.
You mean the caption of window "Pale Moon Commander" after menu command "Advanced options..."
Of course if menu is Advanced options... then the caption must be Advanced options...
I have make 'Advanced options (Pale moon commander)'
So must to be. This is rule: all dialogs must have at least similar name (as command)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-17, 21:22

Thanks for your efforts but your translation background has likely not been in the field of software translations where your "must be so" doesn't apply...
I personally have many years of professional translation background so please don't try to lecture me on what is done or not done in translations. As said, your rules would apply to a descriptive document, manual or other documentation text. But these are in-software strings that end up in dialog boxes, menus, etc. -- other rules apply there.

DmFedorov

Unread post by DmFedorov » 2016-06-17, 22:34

All that I translated were programs.
The most part from them were much more than this small translation, were highly specialized and difficult.
I can't tell that I am the professional translator of programs. It seems to me that such profession doesn't exist.
The only program which I still support as the official translator is XYplorer.

My principles simple:
Follow the original.
All that is unclear, I translate as in original but with explanations.
In case in the original is a mistake - tell about it the author.
I make simply translation of the text only If i can't check it.
-------------
In translation of your program was only one mistake. I reported about it.
Explanations stand in brackets. Places that could not be verified i hasn't reported to you.
I can only state that German translation as always was better, I corrected this situation.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-18, 09:35

Please don't spend any more time on translations for Pale Moon. Your principles clash with intended design.
Attachments
OK
OK
Image1.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
And no to that for blowing up the menu.
And no to that for blowing up the menu.
Image2.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

DmFedorov

Unread post by DmFedorov » 2016-06-18, 10:36

In my translation such isn't present.
There is a line for a title bar. There is a line for the menu. They are different.
(06.18.2016 12_24_26).gif
(06.18.2016 12_34_02).gif
(06.18.2016 12_34_02).gif (7.93 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
(06.18.2016 12_31_02).gif

DmFedorov

Unread post by DmFedorov » 2016-06-18, 11:10

Strictly speaking I don't understand what claims you have to me?
I changed 90 percent of the translation because it didn't correspond to the original.
You can use this translation as I laid out it (you can use part of it) or not to use. I don't care.
Today's original of the translation very often reminds "Lorem Ipsum"
------
I have a wide experience, I have very good principles of the translation. It is my native language. All is not so bad.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-18, 12:58

The window title should not read "advanced options (pale moon commander)" either. It's not a proper translation.

For future translations if someone else wants to do this, highlighting some issues in the first category alone in attached screenshots.
Smoothing != anti-aliasing. Hardware acceleration of layers has nothing to do with drawing. SPDY != speedy. The GC category is a mess that makes no sense. Padlock states are too wordy and for some reason numbered in a drop-down. Tacking on "GL=Graphics library" (in English at that!) and unnecessary mentions of ICC are not desired. etc etc etc.

If you translate in-application strings you have to stick close to the original wording (and usually also original string length). if you don't, you disjoint the layout of dialog boxes and controls. But a professional should not need to be told these things either, so I'll leave it at this.

Once again thanks for your efforts but I won't be using this translation.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image2.png
Image3.png
Image4.png