Allow users to hide Bookmarks sections they don't use.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Allow users to hide Bookmarks sections they don't use.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2016-03-20, 17:04

I think it would be very useful to be able to hide menu options in the Bookmarks menu.
If users never use the options available, it would be nice to be able to hide them in some way. Maybe through about:config, or in the "Organize Bookmarks" section, or a new "Bookmarks" section in the Options menu (like the Tabs section).
I feel this feature request is in line with the ability to hide tabs when only one tab is in use (which users can choose through Tools → Options → Tabs → Always show the tab bar).

The ability to hide Bookmarks → Unsorted Bookmarks if there are no bookmarks currently in that section would be AMAZING and highly appreciated. I feel the technical details of the implementation would not be too difficult.

The ability to hide Bookmarks → Subscribe to This Page would be another nice thing to have. Many of us don't participate in RSS feeds and the menu option is superfluous for us.

The ability to hide Bookmarks → Bookmark All Tabs would be another nice thing to have. Many of us don't ever use this.

The ability to hide Bookmarks → Bookmarks Toolbar if there are no bookmarks currently in that section would be very nice as well. Again, I feel the technical details of the implementation would not be too difficult. Users who don't use the bookmarks toolbar should be able to hide this.

It would be nice as well to remove the horizontal rules between the sections if the entire section does not exist, or maybe in some other configurable method. Getting rid of the menu items doesn't help much if the horizontal rule doesn't go away as well.

Here is an example of what my Bookmarks menu looks like:

And here is what I'd like my Bookmarks menu to look like:

For those of you keeping track, that's 4 menu choices I'd like to hide, and 2 horizontal rules I'd like to no longer see.

Here they are, side-by-side:
Last edited by BenFenner on 2016-05-17, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Allow users to hide Bookmarks sections they don't use.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2016-05-17, 13:25

Am I the only one hoping for this feature to be built into the browser?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-17, 15:07

BenFenner wrote:Am I the only one hoping for this feature to be built into the browser?
Possibly so!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-05-17, 16:13

No your not alone in this idea, I to do not use all those things you talked about and would love to see a way to remove them from the list. ;)

Also, here is the link to the English page of that add on.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nu-wizard/

Pretty cool but unfortunately it will not work for the history or bookmarks as stated.
This add-on not designed to work with dynamic content (Bookmarks list, History list, Downloads list, etc., and some other menus that are dynamically created by other add-ons)
But it does give some pretty cool options and is really nice to have.
Screenshot - 5_17_2016 , 9_05_03 AM.png
I'll have to play with it a bit. :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-17, 17:09

I didn't mean to say that menu customization would be unheard of, because then the extensions doing so wouldn't exist :)
What is there though is there for a reason, every single entry. It may not necessarily apply to your workflow, but that's nothing strange in an application - when was the last time you used, say, every function that is available in a word processor? Or in a calculator, even?

From a browser's perspective: It is technically possible (by spending a lot more time than an extension would need to be made and used) to make all that customizable too in the browser itself, but the question is: would it help, would it be worth the complexity and ambiguity to do so? Some thing are simply much easier to do with extensions, and extensions are there for exactly these kinds of things.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-05-17, 17:45

Moonchild wrote:I didn't mean to say that menu customization would be unheard of, because then the extensions doing so wouldn't exist :)
What is there though is there for a reason, every single entry. It may not necessarily apply to your workflow, but that's nothing strange in an application - when was the last time you used, say, every function that is available in a word processor? Or in a calculator, even?
True indeed ;) For some reason I was thinking this was Burger King. You want fries with that? :lol: :mrgreen:

Eleventy_Threeve

Unread post by Eleventy_Threeve » 2016-05-18, 23:48

Menu Wizard is also our favorite menu editor. There are others though. Just pick one you like and you can make the menus over however you want.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2016-09-12, 15:47

I could have sworn you could right click and delete these items, but obviously not, as I was just trying to remove the RSS Subscribe to this Page link. So there's no way to remove that, correct?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-12, 19:56

That was before the "Places" System which assimilated Bookmarks, History, and Downloads over time. See, unlike the old Netscape style bookmarks the HTML file and thus the Bookmarks Menu isn't the top level anymore. So Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Toolbar, and "Unsorted Bookmarks" are all on the same level now inside an sqlite db. So you can't delete those top levels.