No longer using FossHub

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

No longer using FossHub

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-03, 16:53

As some of you may have noticed, FossHub has been removed as a download mirror for Pale Moon and FossaMail.
This has been a decision based on the increasingly unusable developer-side of the website's framework where I've had to manage files for each release. Although the admin has attempted to work around some things, it's clear that the framework in use, with its attempted "responsive design" in the latest "update", is only gearing itself towards Chrome. It fails to be usable in any Mozilla-based browser.

To reduce my administrative overhead and resulting headaches, I've decided to pull out from FossHub. Other mirrors are running as-usual and won't change.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Re: No longer using FossHub

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-05-03, 16:58

Does this mean FossaMail will come from a mirror that a person could use for SlackBuilds?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-03, 20:15

half-moon wrote:Does this mean FossaMail will come from a mirror that a person could use for SlackBuilds?
I have already addressed that before. If you haven't been paying attention then you should look around a little.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-05-05, 11:49

sorry, i just can't resist the temptation... didn't i told that fosshub is [autocensored]?! ;-)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-05, 13:41

ketmar wrote:sorry, i just can't resist the temptation... didn't i told that fosshub is [autocensored]?! ;-)
Yes you did, but the main issue simply seems to be a different approach. FossHub may work very well for others and they do support developers using their distribution network directly, but if the interface I need to work in becomes unusable, I can't continue sinking time into it as part of RelEng.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-05-05, 13:51

actually, it grows from the same roots. fosshub is actively hostile to automatic downloads (wow, a resource for programmers doesn't like scripting!), and it's just a sign of what is coming: more bells and whistles, less actual usability. i smell such things thousand miles away.