How to force the Profile to be saved in the Pale Moon folder? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Christoph

How to force the Profile to be saved in the Pale Moon folder?

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-09, 08:41

This is my first post. I am using Pale Moon since three days, and I am impressed by the nice browser :D

Operating system: XP SP3, German
Browser version: 26.2.0 (Atom/WinXP), portable, 32-bit
Installed plugins: Adblock Latitude, YesScript, Pale Moon Commander

I have installed Pale Moon in a customized folder
c:\Portable\palemoon
The Profile, however, is automatically saved in
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christoph\Anwendungsdaten\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

When I currently copy c:\Portable\palemoon to a USB stick, and start Pale Moon on a different computer then the Browser starts like a freshly installed Pale Moon, and all my settings and bookmarks are gone. Instead, I would like to have all my Pale Moon settings and bookmarks in the c:\Portable\palemoon folder.

I have manually copied the content of C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christoph\Anwendungsdaten\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default into
c:\Portable\palemoon\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default, also tested
c:\Portable\palemoon\Profiles\Default
and had temporarily renamed
c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christoph\Anwendungsdaten\Moonchild Productions into
c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christoph\Anwendungsdaten\_Moonchild Productions
but restarting Pale Moon does not find my settings and bookmarks in this case.

Is there a way to force Pale Moon 26.2.0 (Atom/WinXP) portable to save the Profile into a subfolder of the programm folder?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to force the Profile to be saved in the Pale Moon folder?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-09, 08:50

You need to make sure to start the portable browser with palemoon-portable.exe from the portable folder.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Christoph

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-09, 19:42

I don't get it. There is no palemoon-portable.exe in c:\Portable\palemoon. I had installed the browser by extraction from palemoon-26.2.0.Atom.WinXP.zip.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-04-09, 20:13

Christoph wrote:I don't get it. There is no palemoon-portable.exe in c:\Portable\palemoon. I had installed the browser by extraction from palemoon-26.2.0.Atom.WinXP.zip.
That isn't the portable. Where did you download that .zip?

Portable: http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

Christoph

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-09, 21:04

I had downloaded it from https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml, one of the links under the "ZIP packed" section. As it is .zip I assumed it is the portable version. I now realize there is a link to the portable XP/Atom version in https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml - which is an EXE file :o

Tomorrow I will install the portable version (it's late in Germany) and will report back whether the problem is solved.

Christoph

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-10, 09:21

The problem is solved. The really portable version of Pale Moon Atom/XP saves the profile in the programm solver. Thank you very much for your help!

The only remaining point is: palemoon-portable does not allow to become the standard browser. I had meanwhile deleted Firefox, Iron and K-Meleon.

PS: by the way, a folder c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christoph\Anwendungsdaten\Moonchild Productions is still generated if you run palemoon-portable, but no big deal, this folder remains empty.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-04-10, 09:58

Read this for standard browser with portable version: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3827

Portable doesn't always means no data are write to the internal harddisk. Portable stands for execute without installation in first place.

Christoph

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-10, 15:16

I had read it.

Well, K-Meleon portable allows it to become the standard browser, Iron portable and Firefox portable allow it, IrfanView portable allows to have file extensions assigned to it, same for VLC portable, or MPC-HC portable ...

I found a workaround:

Closed palemoon
Moved the c:\Portable\palemoon folder to another location (will be recovered later on)
Installed K-Meleon portable into c:\Portable\K-Meleon (will be deleted later on)
Renamed the K-Meleon Folder into c:\Portable\palemoon
Started K-Meleon as c:\Portable\palemoon\K-Melon.exe
Opened K-Meleon Browsing Options with F2
Clicked on making it the standard browser
Closed K-Meleon Options and K-Meleon
Deleted the folder c:\Portable\palemoon (with K-Meleon portable in it)
Moved the palemoon folder back to c:\Portable\palemoon
Renamed Palemoon-Portable.exe into K-Meleon.exe
Renamed Palemoon-Portable.ini into K-Meleon.ini

It works for me. I have a fully featured browser, and I can simply copy the palemoon folder onto a USB drive to carry it with me, with all my bookmarks, plug-ins, and settings. As long as I work at my desktop, clicking onto an URL in emails or documents opens the portable palemoon browser I get used to.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-11, 00:59

Remove the semicolin from MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 in the ini file from the portable package we provide. It will then store the profile in the directory structure for the portable package.

Also a bit of general wisdom. Just because this that and the other thing does something.. doesn't mean it is how WE are going to do something.

Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again.. And when it comes to a totally unrelated product... You can figure it out ;)

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-04-12, 01:40

Christoph wrote:I found a workaround:
[...]
It works for me.
If it works, you probably shouldn't mess with it now, but as a FYI, the "correct" way to do this (in cases where the program in question can't do it for you automatically) is to set the file associations manually. The exact process depends on your OS, but in Windows 7 you would go to Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type. Then select the relevant extensions and protocols (protocols are listed at the bottom) and click the Change Program... button.

For web browsing this would be: .htm .html .shtml .xht .xhtml (extensions) and FTP HTTP HTTPS (protocols).

Christoph

Unread post by Christoph » 2016-04-12, 17:59

Thanks for your additional hints!
Remove the semicolin from MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 in the ini file from the portable package we provide. It will then store the profile in the directory structure for the portable package.
No requirement for the portable version, the profile is already in the program folder.
Just because this that and the other thing does something.. doesn't mean it is how WE are going to do something.
Sorry for the comparison of Pale Moon portable with other portable programs. Pale Moon portable is meanwhile my standard browser :D
in Windows 7 you would go to Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type. Then select the relevant extensions and protocols (protocols are listed at the bottom) and click the Change Program... button. For web browsing this would be: .htm .html .shtml .xht .xhtml (extensions) and FTP HTTP HTTPS (protocols).
WinXP SP3 seems to be different, I did not find the "Associate file type" setting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-12, 22:13

Matt A Tobin wrote:Remove the semicolin from MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 in the ini file from the portable package we provide. It will then store the profile in the directory structure for the portable package.
I think you're mixing two things up,Tobin.
MOZ_NO_REMOTE tells Pale Moon to not check for an already-running Pale Moon process and as such allows you to have copies running concurrently. It has nothing to do with the profile location, although I understand the potential confusion if you have an already-installed copy running and your portable doesn't actually launch itself but opens a new window in the already-running browser (and as such stores data in the installed profile location).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-13, 07:34

Well I am confused then.. What is the actual question here and in what circumstances are they wanting to accomplish.

With the portable package we provide it is all done for you.. No problem.. If you do have an installed copy vs the one you want portable.. I recommend doing no-remote..

OTHERWISE if you are trying to make it more or less portable manually.. no-remote is still a good idea but you can also specify where the profile lives via command line using the -p pathtoprofile. I use this technique for my own stub I wrote back in the day.

More clarification on what the user wants to actually accomplish and by what means is needed to properly answer and close out this thread in any definitive way.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-13, 09:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:With the portable package we provide it is all done for you.. No problem..
That was the issue - the user grabbed the zip-packed version, not the portable.
It's been solved.