PM gets very slow over time... must restart daily

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
huladaddy

PM gets very slow over time... must restart daily

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-03-17, 00:59

My typical use case is to keep a few PM windows open, each with a bunch of tabs loaded (maybe a total of 20-30 tabs). When I first launch PM, I find it very snappy, and it stays that way for hours.

But overnight, I find the next morning PM to be very unresponsive. Even selecting a tab can take 10-20 seconds. How can I go about diagnosing the problem? It doesn't seem to be a RAM leak. Checking about:memory only ever shows about 500 MB in use under Explicit Allocations.

I am running 26.1.1 under Manjaro - 4.1.19-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux.

megaman

Re: PM gets very slow over time... must restart daily

Unread post by megaman » 2016-03-17, 01:21

I usually get this problem on my Windows desktop and laptop, as well.
Mainly, it's due to FLASH, as it lingers even when the tab is closed.

Your situation might be different but this is a possible reason that could be noted.

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-03-17, 11:40

I see similar issues when I leave a Pale Moon process running JavaScript-heavy pages open for a long time - specifically, WorkFront by AtTask is the major culprit for me. (I generally run either NoScript or Request Policy extensions, so I have visibility to at least how many places JS is being loaded from.) I solve this by having multiple profiles, some of which are for specific websites that cause the problem...but this requires starting Pale Moon with the -no-remote option, so may not be suitable solution for all users. If you don't want to mess with extensions and how you start Pale Moon, I'd begin by figuring out which tabs you usually leave open, closing some of them, and see which ones result in this behavior getting better.

ipsirc

Unread post by ipsirc » 2016-03-17, 11:50

Use BarTab ( https://github.com/philikon/BarTab ) or try to recompile with --enable-jemalloc

huladaddy

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-03-18, 19:16

Thanks. Bar Tab is no longer being developed, but I installed Bar Tab Heavy https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... vy/?src=ss nad it seems to be working.

I used to use Suspend Tab, but it no longer works in Pale Moon. I stopped using it because Pale Moon (Firefox?) seemed to be unloading my tabs automatically. What exactly is it that Pale Moon does to tabs that haven't been accessed for a while, and hoe is it different from these unloading extensions?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-03-18, 19:58

huladaddy wrote:I used to use Suspend Tab, but it no longer works in Pale Moon. I stopped using it because Pale Moon (Firefox?) seemed to be unloading my tabs automatically. What exactly is it that Pale Moon does to tabs that haven't been accessed for a while, and hoe is it different from these unloading extensions?
BarTab Heavy will get to points where your reload button will lock and not work, you have to close the tab and re-open it, or restart the browser.
Moonchild has no issues with BarTab, but I guess he doesn't do the things I do or goes to places I go to stumble into my issue. It's reproducible but not constantly.

As for Suspend Tab, I just installed it early today, using version 0.1.2013111801.1

Another problem with Unloaders is when they unload a tab and if you are watching a video on Full-Screen, it exits full-screen.

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2016-03-21, 21:50

I think you are experiencing this problem: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10485

Seems to be a Manjaro thing i guess? Can you copy text normally or is that slow too?

huladaddy

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-03-21, 22:23

Hmm... turning off hardware acceleration? I'll give it a try...