Unable to subcribe to any forums

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unable to subcribe to any forums

Unread post by billmcct » 2016-03-12, 19:59

Just installed a new Palemoon Portable 26.1.1 Atom and am working to build a new profile. I have tried to subscribe to Palemoon forum News and several other forums on the forum website only to get a downloads popup to either save or open "Feed.php". I have also been tring to subscribe to other forums such as HPs help forums and get a new page stating, "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.". Can anyone please tell me what is going on here?

TIA

Bill

EDIT: I am not sure what is going on here. I have opened 25.8.1 Atom and 25.2.0 Atom which were still on my flash drive only to have the same problem. I downloaded Palemoon Portable 15.4 and installed it to my drive only to have the same problem. I have been using 25.8.1 even though 26.x was out although I have not tried to subscribe to any new forums. I am still using the same profile I have used since v15 and have had no problems especially with the 55+ extensions I am using such as the "Add To Searchbar" extension and others that folks have said didn't work in 25x or 26x. They all seem to work correctly and still update in my Palemoon Atom 25.8.1. I don't personally own a computer any longer due to a house fire and only use friend comps. I am coming to a conclusion that it must be the Windows 7 computer that I am on at the moment that is causing this problem though I have used this computer time to time for over a year and have had no problems. Will try to find another system to connect to and see if this is true although I am limited in this respect.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Unable to subcribe to any forums

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-13, 11:16

Sounds to me like your protocol association for feed URLs is broken. Did you change/install/remove a standalone feed reader from your system recently?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2016-03-13, 13:25

Not that I know of. Since this isn't my computer I'm not sure. Just went through the programs and there are no news readers of any kind installed. My niece wouldn't have any use for one AFAIK. I personally have never used anything but live bookmarks in PM to subscribe to forums that I read. In tools/options/applications Podcast,Video Podcast and Web feed are all set to "preview in palemoon". There is no association for PHP files. I have about 25 forums and feeds bookmarked that I follow and they are all updating as expected. I am just not able to add a new one. I have been using this profile since the beginning of PM v15, since v15 didn't like the v12 profile I rebuilt it. I haven't tried to add a feed in quite some time so not sure when this started. I will have to find another comp and see if it makes a difference. I am using the Atom version because most of the computers I plug into are running Win XP and this is a Win 7 machine. Not sure how the system could affect PM Portable.

Bill

EDIT: My niece has FF 31 installed and I just used it to subscribe to the ":Palemoon Forum News" feed. It worked correctly. Not sure why a new install of PM v15.4 and v26.1.1 Atom on my flash drive doesn't seem to work. Posting this edit in FF.

EDIT:(again) I just installed v15.4, v25.8.1, and v26.1.1 onto a empty 4 gig flash drive and all 3 are unable to subscribe to any feeds. Not sure what to do til I can plug into another computer.

Downloaded FF Portable and Waterfox portable from PortableApps installed both to each drive and both work correctly. Don't know whats up here.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2016-03-21, 23:18

OK here's an update.
Have not been able to connect to another computer yet. Downloaded every version of PM Portable since 11.x and installed to the hard drive and three flash drives. All 11.x and All 12.x versions of Pm Portable works correctly on both hard drive and flash drives though nothing past the last 12.x version will work correctly. "Yes I have tried ALL versions". PM full install x32 and x64 works correctly also in any version I have installed. Every instance of a mozilla based portable browser works correctly other than ("SeaMonkey (etc), Although they do work correctly too, they work differently") because they are integrated Mail and Browser. What's up with this?

Bill
Tommy Lasorda