Is there a way to define a specific amount of days to keep history?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fusion01

Is there a way to define a specific amount of days to keep history?

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 21:08

I like the way Internet explorer will allow history for a user set amount of days before it is deleted. It seems on Palemoon it is all or none. Is there a way to have it keep history for say 7 days before it deletes it?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Is there a way to define a specific amount of days to keep history?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-04, 21:10

History was changed some time ago to be database driven.. as such there is no true way of doing this anymore.. But there is an extension that closely emulates the behavior of having an x amount of days of history.. Search AMO..

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 21:16

I searched and don't see anything referring to AMO regarding history settings when I searched this forum. Can you be a little more specific please? Thanks.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 21:36

Thanks I see that there are tons on add-ons for FF (do these work for Palemoon though) and I searched specifically for AMO and zip zilch nada. What is AMO? I don't want to have to haphazardly start installing random history add-ons just to find one that will do 7 days before clearing history. For example will the History Janitor do what I want?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 21:40

The extension I use for this is Expire History By Days. The latest version is not compatible with Pale Moon but the older version 1.1.1 works just fine for me.
fusion01 wrote:What is AMO?
The addons.mozilla.org site.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 21:44

Thanks Nigaikaize, looks like this will work out just fine! Should I set it to not update so it will continue to work?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 21:48

No, you don't need to set it to not update. Pale Moon reports it's "Firefox" version to AMO as 24.9, so extensions will not be updated unless they explicitly support that version of Firefox. Since the minimum version of Firefox for subsequent versions of that extension is 38, the newer non-compatible versions will not automatically be pushed down to Pale Moon. I've had version 1.1.1 of this extension running on several PCs without disabling auto-updates, and all of them are still at 1.1.1.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say "You're welcome!" Bad manners on my part. Sorry about that, Chief.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 21:54

Thanks Nigaikaze, will it hurt to have it disabled though as that's the setting I have it at right now. Also you as well as someone else on this forum mentioned the word AMO. What does this mean? Is this Palemoon lingo for FF extensions or something?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 21:58

No it won't hurt to have it disabled.

As I replied above:
Nigaikaze wrote:
fusion01 wrote:What is AMO?
The addons.mozilla.org site.
Edit: For clarification, yes it is the main Mozilla website that hosts addons for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 22:00

ok thanks, I wasn't familiar with the AMO acronym.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 22:02

You're welcome. Yeah, that takes a li'l getting used to 'round here. AMO = addons.mozilla.org, and BMO = bugzilla.mozilla.org (for tracking Firefox etc. bugs). I think those are the two big *MO acronyms you'll see. I don't remember any others off the top of my head. :)

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 22:03

Nigaikaze, I am testing the add-on but I am noticing even after opening and closing Palemoon down, there is nothing showing in the history at all. On the Palemoon settings I have custom history setting but the only thing it is deleting is cache everytime I shut down Palemoon. Why am I not seeing ANY history with the setting in the extention set to 7 days?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 22:14

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... that seems odd. I'm not an expert on that extension, but I've set it for 30, 45 and 90 days at different times in the past and it's always appeared to work as expected. I'll have to try setting it to 7 days myself and play around with it to see if I can replicate what you're experiencing.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-04, 22:20

I now have it disabled (by setting day to zero) and I have Palemoons settings to not delete anything when closing and history is still blank. I did copy over my other Palemoon Default folder contents to the new Palmoon default folder I just installed on my USB drive so maybe it's something from that folder that is buggered? Before I copied everything over I noticed history was working as normal on my new USB drive Portable version. Is there a folder or file within the default folder that stores history that I can clear out to start it anew?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-04, 23:41

fusion01 wrote:Is there a folder or file within the default folder that stores history that I can clear out to start it anew?
Well ... history is stored in the places.sqlite file ... but IIRC that file includes a few other things in addition to history. I would recommend renaming it (to perhaps places.sqlite.old or similar) rather than deleting it outright, just so you have a copy in case you need to fall back to it.

Another option would be to try a brand new portable installation with a new clean profile and no other extensions/addons installed, just to see if that makes any difference. That would rule out both profile corruption and potential interference from other extensions.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-05, 02:03

Yeah when I posted before I had mentioned when it was newly installed the history worked fine UNTIL I added the contents of the default folder to bring over my bookmarks and settings from another Palemoon portable x64 that was my mostly used browser that was setup right on my hard drive. So how woyuld I add over all the settings from the old Palemoon browser to the new version without getting this history anomoly?

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-05, 02:35

I tried another brand new portable version and the history works, and I copied the contents of default folder but saved the places.sqlite file and then history worked and that was ok but my bookmarks and settings were gone. So how can I get all my bookmarks and settings from the old places.sqlite file that I'm assuming now is corrupt?

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-03-05, 07:51

nigaikaze I have a question about the Expire History by Days 1.1.1 ad on. On a different laptop that I have palemoon portable where I have a history spanning back to February, I added the Expire History by Days ad-on and set it to 7 days and opened and closed the browser several times but all the old history items from February are still there. When does this actually delete the old items?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-03-05, 17:54

fusion01 wrote:When does this actually delete the old items?
As per the extension's description on AMO:
Expiration happens on idle, but it's not instant.
It happens in the background when the browser is open and idle. Fire up Pale Moon, set the option for the number of days you want, then let it sit for a bit whilst you go do something else. It will eventually trim the history down to the number of days that you've set, but not instantaneously.