palemoon atom/winxp doesn't play html5 video Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
erdos

palemoon atom/winxp doesn't play html5 video

Unread post by erdos » 2016-02-16, 23:48

hi, i've palemoon for atom/xp installed on my thinkpad laptop.
however, it doesn't play videos from youtube/dailymotion or skydrive.

i've the latest 26.0.3 installed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon atom/winxp doesn't play html5 video

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-17, 00:07

If you are using Windows XP, then you may not be able to use h.264 video. That is an inherent issue with Win XP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

erdos

Unread post by erdos » 2016-02-17, 00:16

indeed i'm using winXP on thinkpad.

thanks for pointing out the incompatibility issue of h.264 video. can normal palemoon be installed on winxp machine?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-23, 11:47

erdos wrote:can normal palemoon be installed on winxp machine?
No, but that's not even the problem.

The problem is that HTML5 H.264 video playback in Pale Moon uses the Windows Media Foundation to get the codec (because it's patent-encumbered). WMF isn't available on the Windows XP platform. So it doesn't matter which version of Pale Moon you use, the Windows OS itself simply doesn't offer the codec in a way that can be used by Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-03-02, 19:52

So to put it simply, if I ever wanted to go back to any XP/2003 variant, as soon as YouTube drops Flash entirely, it won't work in XP at all, is that right?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-04, 10:01

JodyThornton wrote:So to put it simply, if I ever wanted to go back to any XP/2003 variant, as soon as YouTube drops Flash entirely, it won't work in XP at all, is that right?
Only for H.264. WebM and Theora videos should still work.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-03-04, 13:34

Does this problem apply to Firefox and Chrome as well?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-04, 15:00

Firefox has bundled an openh264 plugin into its codebase and Chrome bakes ffmpeg into its code.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-03-04, 15:03

Thanks for the information.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-03-04, 15:09

Could PM add this codex so html5 would work on XP computers?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-04, 16:19

Firefox's technology is the new "gecko plugins" so that is completely out. Chrome's solution of baking in ffmpeg is also out as it is incompatible with our license.

The time, effort, and resources to fix this on Windows XP frankly isn't worth it. Windows XP is long past its end of life and cannot be realistically justified when we have much bigger fish to fry on actively supported operating systems.

However, that being said, Patches Welcome.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-03-04, 18:37

Thanks for the clarification.
Hopefully, someone will make a patch.

travmatias

Unread post by travmatias » 2016-05-06, 21:54

Wikipedia says "A web browser is a software application for retrieving, presenting, and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web."
The first browsers support only text, then they support images, then audio, then video etc.

My suggestion is that PM (or a PM addon), can add support for external programs for the future to come.
In this particulate case I thing the command like tool youtube-dl, which although requires python to work, it can download a video/stream at any resolution and then is a job of a user's multimedia player, like mpc-hc, vlc, wmp, etc.

By this way any real or artificial limitations a manufacturer or a programmer had place inside the Operation System, the Web, the decoders, the multimedia, the communication protocols etc. for his own reasons or inabilities, the user of the browser can still use that software and increase its usefulness beyond the original creator might imagine.

Wouldn't be nice that we can substitute some internal parts of a software without to reinvent the wheel every time? That way users are free to choose, and not pushed or forced to wait for the creators to loose interest, sell off, merge, die or for the patents to expire in order for new born software, yet eternally beta version to exist.

I had to remind that my normal Windows XP can play HD and 4K video outside of the browser even it is 8 years old hardware.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-07, 12:51

That technology is already there in pale Moon in the form of NPAPI plugins and browser extensions.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-05-07, 16:54

Moonchild wrote:That technology is already there in pale Moon in the form of NPAPI plugins and browser extensions.
Do you happen to know the names of a couple good ones? Not sure what to look for.

travmatias

Unread post by travmatias » 2016-05-08, 10:53

I see HD videos in the midori browser without flash on Windows XP. With HD I can read the text shown in those videos :D
midoriHD.jpg
PalemoonDevCorrupt.jpg
the same attachments are here
http://postimg.org/image/64ef4t1tt/
http://postimg.org/image/oatyqak5d/

Anyone can see the difference on letters in which palemoon browser are too blurry
Now, all people can see the clear intentions guided by corruption to broke XP video abilities in all programs, for example, as shown here and as screenshot here http://postimg.org/image/uwgvvd1mp/
All the images are saved as jpg with 68% quality from InfraView

I also kindly ask to add support for addon "Watch with MPV"

Sailor Moon

Unread post by Sailor Moon » 2016-08-07, 20:44

Moonchild wrote: The problem is that HTML5 H.264 video playback in Pale Moon uses the Windows Media Foundation to get the codec (because it's patent-encumbered). WMF isn't available on the Windows XP platform. So it doesn't matter which version of Pale Moon you use, the Windows OS itself simply doesn't offer the codec in a way that can be used by Pale Moon.
This is true for Windows XP Gold, because WMF wasn't invented then. But if you have installed all recommended Windows Updates, including the .NET 3.5 Framework, SP1, then WMF is included in your XP installation (according to Wikipedia), and Firefox is supported.
Edit: I'm getting the Microsoft Media Foundation ([M]MF) confused with the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).
Oddly enough though, video on Web sites like Twitter still doesn't work even in Chromium-based Opera!

Alternatively, XP users have full codec support in K-Lite. I wonder if it could be used in the browser or if that would be too complicated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-07, 23:00

Chrome works because it has embedded ffmpeg in their source code. Also, no, a codec pack won't work because MP3 rendering happens with Windows Media Foundation and NOT DirectShow directly. Firefox "solved" the issue by adding code to allow hooking into DirectShow directly on older versions of Windows sometime after we forked away .. I had intended on bringing these patches to Pale Moon but time ran out for all NT 5.x operating systems in the support life cycle before I could work out the details.

It has been decided that since there is no NT 5.x retail system left in active support that putting the work in to supporting DirectShow on those operating systems was not worth the time and resources. You have to understand that Pale Moon as a project has always taken the position of actively cut away support ancient hardware and operating system support and it has never been the intention to continue supporting these things. By all rights, we should have ended XP support 2 years ago but the netbook situation gave you guys a reprieve.

Our next milestone that will become Pale Moon 27 will not in any shape or form support Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Server 2003, or any other retail NT 5.x based operating system. We feel that the 15 year old operating system's time is way past over.

Sucks, I know, but that is, as they say, is that. The world for the most part has moved on. Perhaps you guys should to.

There are a couple options in the world for the future.. Such as running a newer and supported version of Windows. You can also find a nice Linux distro and for those pesky Windows tasks that don't directly translate to Linux, run a Windows XP Virtual Machine.