Crash on debian 8.3 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vgevorgyan

Crash on debian 8.3

Unread post by vgevorgyan » 2016-01-27, 11:39

Hello,

I have downloaded latest Pale Moon version and trying to run on my system.
It's opening the window, but when I'm trying to write website address in address bar or trying to do search after 2-3 letters it's crashing with the following message:

Code: Select all

###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 145
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 145
Segmentation fault
Also, when I'm trying to right click on toolbar or open menu, it's again crashing with the same message.

My system information:
Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64
DE: KDE 4.14.2

If you need more information just ask.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Crash on debian 8.3

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-01-27, 11:55

Are you using the oxygen-gtk theme? There's a known bug in that theming engine that causes Pale Moon to crash when clicking the menu/address bar. Please use a different theming engine and that should resolve the problem.

vgevorgyan

Unread post by vgevorgyan » 2016-01-27, 12:04

You are absolutely correct.

vgevorgyan

Unread post by vgevorgyan » 2016-01-27, 12:25

Can you please suggest any beautiful gtk theme the PaleMoon will work correctly?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-01-28, 15:10

Pale Moon should work with any gtk2 theme besides oxygen.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2016-02-09, 07:45

Howdy all,

I just finished reading all the threads here containing references to this oxygen (gtk2-engines-oxygen) issue.

I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS with gtk2-engines-oxygen v1.4.5-0ubuntu1, and experiencing the crashing problem on 26.0.3 x86. (32-bit)

I read here about a special exception in an oxygen config file to include PaleMoon as a "mozilla" product, but for the builds with that setting does that actually fix it?

I'd really rather not change this theme because I really like it. Another option is to install either an updated theme or KDE build. Any suggestions for me? I can go to the Kubuntu people and ask about the latter option if that might be one solution. I prefer to run the LTS builds because I don't want to rip/replace the OS every 6 months or something.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: I've been running PM as my default browser on my Windows machines for a while now, and tolerated Firefox on Kubuntu until an update to Firefox 44 was installed today as a "security update" which killed ALL of my settings customizations and threw me back to default Australis settings. UGH. Couldn't take it any more..)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-10, 00:27

I've just patched the Debian Jessie source code for gtk2-engines-oxygen 1.4.6 to add "palemoon" and "newmoon" to the list in src/oxygenapplicationname.cpp, rebuilt and installed the updated package, and it does fix the crash problem.

Code: Select all

--- gtk2-engines-oxygen-1.4.6.orig/src/oxygenapplicationname.cpp
+++ gtk2-engines-oxygen-1.4.6/src/oxygenapplicationname.cpp
@@ -94,6 +94,8 @@ namespace Oxygen
                 "komodo",
                 "aurora",
                 "zotero",
+                "palemoon",
+                "newmoon",
                 ""
             };

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-11, 20:26

Anyway, the patched, Jessie-compatible i386 and amd64 packages are here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/ ... es-oxygen/

Whether they will work on Ubuntu distributions in unknown. They should be rebuilt from the source files on your Ubuntu release to make sure they are compatible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-12, 12:53

You may also want to add FossaMail to the list, considering it uses the same Mozilla-style UI coding oxygen-gtk chokes on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-14, 23:16

Thanks, will do that.