Sites that don't work with PM 26 (Goanna) - roundup

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
metamorphosis

Sites that don't work with PM 26 (Goanna) - roundup

Unread post by metamorphosis » 2016-01-28, 02:51

Please add to this list.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... nctuation/
If you click on a video, the video size is tiny.
Not sure what's going on there.

Youtube is reporting 'browser no longer supported' for all pale moon versions, as far as I can tell, presumably due to the limited number of browsers they support, regardless of whether Firefox compatibility mode is turned on. This is more or less their problem AFAIK

lyceus

Re: Sites that don't work with PM 26 (Goanna) - roundup

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-01-28, 04:32

metamorphosis wrote:Please add to this list.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... nctuation/
If you click on a video, the video size is tiny.
Not sure what's going on there.

Youtube is reporting 'browser no longer supported' for all pale moon versions, as far as I can tell, presumably due to the limited number of browsers they support, regardless of whether Firefox compatibility mode is turned on. This is more or less their problem AFAIK
The video at full screen works fine, maybe is the HTML5 container that believes is a mobile browser and shows that miniature video size. We have reports of these troubles with the UA sniffing.

Youtube works in my setup: Ad Block Latitude, Flash Player, Download Helper. For some reason YT sees the plugin, then delivers the HTML5 video so I can either see it on browser or download. I hope this helps.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2016-01-28, 09:32

metamorphosis wrote:
No. I still have Pale Moon 25.8.1 (x64) and it works fine at Youtube. (What doesn't work is Fx43 which can't even open youtube....it crashes, but I think the problem is due to updates of several Flash extensions meant for Fx 44 and, thus, are not working right on Fx 43).

Of course, I have extensions to force Flash in HD at youtube. Maybe Youtube has banned Pale Moon if you are using the inferior HTML5 player there instead of Flash but Flash still works fine at Youtube on Pale Moon 25.

Craftworth

Unread post by Craftworth » 2016-01-28, 11:01

Hello, I have problem with some sites nnm.me , zr.ru
It opens like for mobiles.

Badger Murphy

Unread post by Badger Murphy » 2016-01-28, 23:59

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been using Pale Moon browser for some time and absolutely enamored with it!

That said, I'd like to do what I can to help, while possibly helping myself out in the process. At my work, we are a Google shop; we use Google Hangouts, Chrome, etc. They're not making me use the browser, but that means I have to use the following web application to take full advantage of Google Hangouts:

https://hangouts.google.com/

If you navigate to this site, you'll likely see the same issue I am having. The page loads and renders, but the functionality of the web application is not present. The main frame on the left-hand side of the page will forever say 'Signing in as', but never actually sign me in and start working.

Of note is the fact that this page did not have issues prior to the inclusion of the Goanna rendering engine in Pale Moon. I have found several other sites where the rendering was fixed, but so far, this one went the other way, and did work, but now does not.

I apologize for my lack of familiarity with web functionality. I wish I could provide more information other than "it doesn't work", but I would be happy to try whatever steps that anyone suggests to help contribute, especially if others are unable to reproduce the problem I am having.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-01-29, 06:42

I got the message on Youtube saying my browser isn't supported, but for now everything seems to be working, as much as it works since Google took over.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-29, 07:56

@Badger Murphy: Google is known as a sniffing and blocking stuff for some browsers. Your only chance to fix it, is write google a email so they can fix it but you need luck.

@Cogito Ergo Sum: Not a real problem. Look at the other youtube threads.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2016-01-29, 10:06

Hi, I've only been using PM for about a week, and found it to be very good and faster than FF, however after updating to v26, a Yuku forum site that I use all the time, at first loaded a mobile version, then after clicking on Desktop at the bottom of the page, it loaded a Desktop version but the rendering is all wrong, the page is broken up, and zooming it has a strange effect.

This is the site I use http://theroyalwindsorforum.yuku.com/

I also did a search and found another random Yuku forum, which seems to have the same problem http://vets.yuku.com/

So it seems that ALL Yuku forums are likely to be broken, although their home page seems OK http://www.yuku.com/#pos-0

Badger Murphy

Unread post by Badger Murphy » 2016-01-29, 18:33

dark_moon wrote:@Badger Murphy: Google is known as a sniffing and blocking stuff for some browsers. Your only chance to fix it, is write google a email so they can fix it but you need luck.
Thanks for the reply to my problem. Given that the service worked before, and now doesn't, I suspect that it is really a compatibility issue between the new renderer and the code on the hangouts page. I have no expertise to confirm that, however, so I will take your word for it for the sake of discussion.

So, assuming Google is blocking the content due to my use of a browser unknown to them, what do you suggest I say to Google in the email, and to whom at Google should I send it? I don't think I have ever seen any information on how to get a hold of any actual humans that work for Google! :lol:

nmalinoski

Unread post by nmalinoski » 2016-01-29, 22:54

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Humble Guard (two-factor auth using code via email) does not seem to like PM 26. After entering the code and completing reCAPTCHA, it seems like it fails to set the cookie it needs to set, so the page simply reloads and prompts for the code again. This behavior does not occur with PM 25.8.1.

Windows 7 x64, 32-bit PM 26.0.0.
Not 100% sure if this is a Goanna issue or from something else that changed.

Skywise

Unread post by Skywise » 2016-01-30, 18:15

TaxAct.com doesn't work once you actually start the questions process (filling out the forms). The rest of the site works/renders fine handles SSL properly for account setup, etc; but once you start the return online you get a redirection to taxactonline.com, the main page loads but the questions frame goes out to load the contents and never completes. (It's free at this point aside from setting up an account)

I run noscript and ghostery and allowed everything from noscript and disabled ghostery and retried but had the same result. Works fine with palemoon 25.8.1 and with noscript and ghostery enabled (and noscript allowing the appropriate servers.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-30, 20:46

There are a few web applications that might currently not work. I'm working on fixing that, so please have some patience while a new version is built to address web compatibility issues among other things.
This updated version will be released next week.

Notes about sites reported so far:
  • yuku.com fora: They detect "Goanna" as a mobile device - once launched as mobile, the switch to desktop doesn't work properly and turns into a bad mix of both styles. This is something yuku needs to look into (and preferably fix their mobile detection). A temporary override will be put in place.
  • youtube.com and gaming.youtube.com: bad ua sniffing as can be expected from Google. An override will be put in place for both.
  • netflix: ua sniffing that actually does detect Pale Moon, but decides to specifically block it. Pure discrimination. An override will be put in place to work around this.
  • comcast/xfinity and other zimbra based webmail: this led to the discovery of a theoretically sensible but impractical change of behavior in script tags that was made by one of our contributors. This has been reverted and should fix this (and potentially other web applications, and maybe even certain extensions that have inexplicable problems in 26.0.0)
  • Google hangouts: this is an unknown server-side issue (looks like one of their authentication services doesn't like us) and there is no available information about the cause. We do not have a solution for this currently; your only hope is writing to Google and having them fix it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jbros7

Unread post by Jbros7 » 2016-01-31, 01:05

Thanks for the hard work MoonChild. I contacted netflix support just today and the person I talked to seemed to know what was going on. I still have no idea why they can't simply allow palemoon traffic as if it were any other browser. For what it is worth though I made it known that I was unhappy with how netflix treats us. Do you have any idea of when we might be able to expect an update that may go around these website restrictions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-31, 01:40

I've found that contacting Netflix support doesn't really seem to help. The people you talk to are understanding and want to help, and nothing but kudos for them, but when it comes down to it, the people who actually need to do something about this are extremely reluctant to actually cater to us or any other browser that isn't doing it "their way". I even got lied to my face when the CSR relayed that the tech department said they were "working with us to solve these issues" at which point I actually revealed who they were talking to, and that no, they were NOT working with anyone in the Pale Moon project because I would definitely know.

A written postal letter to their corporate office was also never responded to. Yes, I went through that much effort to do my part in trying to solve this web compatibility issue with them.

If you really can't wait for the update (slated for next week) then what you need to do is go into about:config, find the preference general.useragent.override.netflix.com that is in place there, double-click the entry, and remove the PaleMoon/26.0.0 part from it (leaving the rest intact), then doing a hard refresh on Netflix (Ctrl+F5) which should solve the black screen issue and launch Silverlight to stream media. Please remember to reset the value to default after the browser update.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2016-01-31, 09:49

Hi Moonchild, many thanks for your quick response and forthcoming workaround re the issue with Yuku. I've also raised a ticket on their support page, so hopefully they will fix the problem at their end in due course.

Just to say that having only used PM for a short time, I'm very impressed - it's like revisiting an old friend! IMHO Firefox took a wrong turn with Australis - I hated the 3-bar 'burger' menu, rounded tabs and losing the menu in the top left corner then, and I still do. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Further to the above, I have just received the following from Yuku -

''Three of my own members at my Yuku board use Palemoon, and they all reported this, so I've passed it on to our programmers.

I do have to tell you that we don't support palemoon though, there are literally over 100 browsers out there, we can only support the main ones. However, I do hope it can be looked at and fixed because I have a feeling that this could be a forerunner of the same kind of trouble in other browsers.
It happened in chrome once after a chrome update. I use chrome, so I know how annoying that was.''

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2016-01-31, 20:33

Good evening !
PM26, Windows 10 : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.0.0

I was not able to achieve connection to my Expedia account. Had to use MS Edge for that :

https://www.expedia.fr/user/signin?ckof ... 4800250997

I was not able to display the game board at these addresses :
http://www.jeux-historiques.com/jeux-hi ... eid39.html
http://www.jeux-geographiques.com/jeux- ... eid39.html

Have to use MS Edge for that now.

For Expedia, I do not know if it was possible with window7/PM 26, but for the history and geography games, I am sure it was possible to play with window7/PM26.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-02-01, 02:57

Hallmark ecard site not working as it should using PM 26, LINK TO TOPIC conclusion.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Thuring

Unread post by Thuring » 2016-02-01, 17:19

Sorry that my first post is a problem report, usually PM is great.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/ - redirects to the mobile website, the software is Vanilla forums. There's a link on the bottom of the website that takes me to the full website, but a first time visitor will be directed to the mobile website (and the cookie that keeps the setting seems to reset every time I restart the computer).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-01, 20:05

People being redirected to mobile versions of sites are likely running into software that relies on incomplete/inaccurate mobile detection libraries.
We can't do anything about this on the browser side as this is handled purely on the servers connected to.
We've already contacted one library author known to us about this, there may be more -- you should contact the site/forum owners and make them aware of this issue, so they can toss it upstream to whatever module they are using to detect mobile devices.

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2016-02-01, 20:38

Even my own websites cannot be seen properly with PaleMoon 26. Mostly with DailyMotion embed.
I would like very much to use again PM 25. I am a basic user, I do not understand a lot in the technical details, but I do not like this new Goanna thing. I chose PaleMoon some months ago, because I could not use the new australis Firefox. I just feel now like I was back at this time. Of course, now that I am with Windows 10, I could use Edge ...
Can you please give me a link to the last PM 25 release, which was all that I like and need ?