[solved] 26 is being recognized as mobile phone

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Weather

[solved] 26 is being recognized as mobile phone

Unread post by Weather » 2016-01-26, 19:31

Version 26 is being recognized as mobile phone by the website http://citilink.ru . Previous version and Firefox open it correctly.
Last edited by Weather on 2016-01-28, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: 26 is being recognized as mobile phone

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-01-26, 19:37

Moonchild wrote:Although we've given this release extensive testing, it is still possible you run into some website compatibility issues (usually because of websites doing useragent sniffing) and e.g. some sites displaying a mobile version if they do not recognize or incorrectly recognize the new browser engine. Please always try contacting the webmasters first before posting support requests at our address, since this is usually not something we can provide solutions for, ourselves, and we end up having to redirect you anyway.
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10827
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Weather

Unread post by Weather » 2016-01-26, 21:09

OK, then. How do I change that useragent string to the previous? There are too many sites, which are mobile with the new useragent string.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-26, 23:09

There seem to be a few "browser detection" libraries floating around that use a lazy detection for anything that starts with "Goa" (as apparently that's a mobile thing) which will also catch the "Goanna" UA slice as "mobile" as a result. You should still contact the affected sites because we can't do anything about incorrect server-side detection of the Goanna slice as "mobile".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2016-01-27, 00:59

Moonchild wrote:There seem to be a few "browser detection" libraries floating around that use a lazy detection for anything that starts with "Goa" (as apparently that's a mobile thing) which will also catch the "Goanna" UA slice as "mobile" as a result.
What the heck does "Goa" even mean (in the mobile world), anyway? Is it an acronym for something?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-27, 02:02

There's apparently a phone out there that is the "Wiko Goa" that has "GOA" in its user agent. If a lib checks for "Goa*" as some do, then it will also catch Goanna/xx.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Weather

Unread post by Weather » 2016-01-27, 13:00

I wish I had not any extra work with the browser. Give me the previous "useragent" string and explain, how to replace that nuisance with "goa".

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-01-28, 00:12

Weather,

Pale Moon is not the one to blame.
Device-specific user agent strings

Although it is strongly discouraged by Mozilla, some handset manufacturers unfortunately include a token in their device's UA string that represents their device id. If this is the case, the Firefox OS UA string will look like the device-specific string in the table above, where nnnn; is the manufacturer's code for the device (see Guidelines). Some of them we have noticed are of the form "NexusOne;", "ZTEOpen;", or "Open C;" (note that putting space is also discouraged). We provide this information to assist with your UA detection logic, but Mozilla discourages the detection of a device id in UA strings.
[Source]

Although this text is related to Firefox OS, is valid for this scenario as well, since mobile devices manufactures still continue to include their models in the UA. Where's the standardization? :x

As Moonchild explained it here, you can add an override to those specific sites are giving you headaches. :mrgreen:

Weather

Unread post by Weather » 2016-01-28, 14:10

I`ve solved the problem by adding new string in "about:config": just replacesd: "goana" to "gecko".

Last edited by Weather on 2016-02-04, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-01-28, 14:17

Nice to know that, Weather! :thumbup:

Now, edit your first post in this thread and edit its title by adding [SOLVED], please.

If you have another question, do a forum search and if you still find nothing useful, open a new thread and let us know your concerns, please.

Thank you for letting us know you were able to solve this!

tuwojici

Re: [solved] 26 is being recognized as mobile phone

Unread post by tuwojici » 2016-09-06, 17:47

Pale moon is being recognized as mobile phone by the website http://rozetka.com.ua/. Other browsers open it correctly. But(!) unfortunately method from this thread isn't work. Please help.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-09-06, 18:26

tuwojici,

Welcome to the forum!

That website uses cookies to remember if you want the desktop/full version of the site, or the mobile version. Use the button at the bottom of the frontpage to switch to the desktop/full version. That's it.

Best!

tuwojici

Unread post by tuwojici » 2016-09-06, 18:35

Aww yeah. That helped. Thanks alot.

skrble

Unread post by skrble » 2016-10-02, 01:30

Isn't there any way how to force all the webpages to use some type of string, which would tell them to load normal desktop version?

Btw: can you help me getting page forums.crackberry.com to be working in the normal mode instead of the mobile one? I wen't through the guide, but I can't reach the result...

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-10-02, 03:58

Hi skrble!
skrble wrote:Isn't there any way how to force all the webpages to use some type of string, which would tell them to load normal desktop version?
Yeah, there are 2 ways to do this, at least.

The one I recommend is:
  1. Install the User Agent Switcher add-on
  2. Choose any of these user agent strings below and add it there:

Some Pale Moon's fake user agent strings on Windows (I guess you're on Windows, right?):
    Pale Moon masked as Firefox 50 x64, on Windows 10 x64:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 (Pale Moon)
    Pale Moon masked as Firefox 50 x32, on Windows 10 x32:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 (Pale Moon)
    Pale Moon masked as Firefox 50 x64, on Windows 7 x64:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 (Pale Moon)
    Pale Moon masked as Firefox 50 x32, on Windows 7 x32:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 (Pale Moon)
Note: You have to select the desired string from the add-on menu every time you run Pale Moon.

Then, there's another way, which I actually don't recommend. This is the dirty one.
  1. Go to about:config
  2. Right click over an empty space, and select New > String, name it as:
    general.useragent.override
    with any of the user agent strings mentioned above as Value
Note: if this won't work, then you have to manually delete all the existing general.useragent.override.* entries, like, for instance, general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org, general.useragent.override.aol.com, etc. That's why I don't recommend this method. It could give you some headaches in the future. :|
skrble wrote:Btw: can you help me getting page forums.crackberry.com to be working in the normal mode instead of the mobile one? I wen't through the guide, but I can't reach the result...
The story behind BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com is the same as this: CrackBerry.com detects Goa in the term Goanna and so it serves the mobile version instead of the desktop one.
  • Workaround? Easy: get rid of the term Goanna out of the Pale Moon user agent string. You can do this by selecting any of the previous user agents above.
  • Solution? Contact CrackBerry.com website support [sitesupport AT crackberry DOT com] to log the term Goanna to their UA DB under the "desktop browsers" category, not mobile.
If there's anything else you need to be helped, just let us know.

Best regards!