[SOLVED] AMD vs. Intel Processors and Permissions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
WestSlope

[SOLVED] AMD vs. Intel Processors and Permissions

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-23, 14:45

This is on my Mint side. I have been trying to install PM for three days after I thought I had it installed. Sound crazy? No more to you than I. Right now I'm using PM 12.0 to get on with PM and it's seems antiquated for sure. Here's my system run down:

System: HP-AMD Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 15 Notebook PC v: 0972100003405F00001620180
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 22CD v: 93.2C Bios: Insyde v: F.31 date: 10/23/2014
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (-MCP-) speed/max: 1000/2000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics] bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (1.5% used)
Info: Processes: 186 Uptime: 18 min Memory: 1180.9/3329.8MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28

"You can check if your processor supports SSE2". Mine does.

flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse (((sse2))) ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt topoext perfctr_nb perfctr_l2 arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold vmmcall bmi1 xsaveopt

I have no idea if it's the AMD Processor, because I have the same HP laptop only that it's an Intel Processor and there was no problem installing PM to it. I know this is a lot of info, but I wanted to show the AMD Processor and ask if it may be the problem and what may be the reason I can't, or won't install PM to this system. The mysterious thing about it is. My Win8 (same Processor) side and installed just fine.
Thanks
Last edited by WestSlope on 2016-01-02, 13:43, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: AMD vs. Intel Processors

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-23, 15:08

Did you install a pre-built binary from our website, or did you build from source?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-23, 15:12

I tried it both from the installer and the tar from here.
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-23, 15:23

I don't think it's the processor, but I'm not really able to help you with the Linux system setup and potential issues with it, so I'll leave that to our knowledgeable Linux community :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-23, 15:25

Thank you. We'll see what happens.

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-26, 17:07

Is there any Linux Mint 17.3 users here that may be able to help me with my problem?
Thanks

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-12-26, 18:29

Have you tried installing this version?:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/main/p/palemoon/

It's built (Packaged?) for Debian. Ubuntu is based on Debian. Mint is based on Ubuntu.

It seems to me that might be worth a try as it may be more optimized or pre-built for a Linux distribution similar to yours than whatever you're using if you're not already using this.

Disclaimer: I do not currently use Linux. I am not good at using Linux (I am *really* not good at using Linux). I have nothing to do with the linked site and have not tried their version of Pale Moon since, as I said, I don't use Linux at the moment. :) I'm just offering it as a possible alternative, since I remembered having read a thread about it's creation elsewhere on this forum. Evaluate for yourself. :) You probably know more than I do about whether or not it's worth trying. :)

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-26, 21:40

Thank you at least trying to help, but I can't find a library file. libstdc++6-4.9. I've looked hight and low for it and it's a no go for now.
Thank you again!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-12-28, 08:27

I am unable to reproduce in a VM or on my wife's machine. Are you getting any specific error messages when using the installer?

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-28, 13:45

Thanks for coming back trava90...

Yes I am. This is something about an old version.
oldver.png
Brand new HP laptop and I just installed Mint 17.3 Rosa, so I don't know where to go from here. Something to do with my oxygen gtk/gtk2 theme?
and
Profile can't be found.
profil.png
.moonchild productions/pale moon/asdp5qnm.default
Here is a copy of my profile.
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=asdp5qnm.default

So it is finding my profile.
Again... Same laptop as my HP-Intel processor, but this is my HP-AMD processor and there was no problem with the Intel.
Thanks
Last edited by WestSlope on 2015-12-28, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-28, 13:48

Did you copy your profile across from somewhere else, and if so, did you set the proper permissions on it?

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-28, 14:09

This is another brand new install. I un-installed the other.

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-28, 14:56

Ya know MC you may be right. Starting with .moonchild productions.
permis.png
It looks like it's owned by me, but it also looks like I can't do anything with any of the folders, or files. What do ya think? If I don't have permission to do anything. How do I change them?
Thanks

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-12-29, 08:17

WestSlope wrote:Yes I am. This is something about an old version.
This is simply an informational message stating that the installer detected the oxygen-gtk theme engine, and does not affect the actual installation in any way.
WestSlope wrote:It looks like it's owned by me, but it also looks like I can't do anything with any of the folders, or files.
The permissions shown in the screenshot match those on my system. Try creating a new profile (type palemoon -p in your terminal).

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-29, 12:43

There was a problem there:
prochng.png

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-12-29, 13:11

Definitely looks like a permissions issue. Check the permissions for the folders within .moonchild productions.

WestSlope

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-29, 13:28

I did a little search and came up with:

sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "$HOME"

Although I have no idea what that does. That was the golden answer. Pale Moon is running! :thumbup:
I thank everyone for the help.
Dan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [SOLVED] AMD vs. Intel Processors

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-29, 18:18

What that command does is it runs a process as super user (administrator) with the "sudo" command. The process run is "chown" which is a tool to CHange OWNership of file system objects. It takes your home directory $HOME and changes the ownership to your user ID and user group, and does so recursively (-R) over all subdirectories and files.

This is normal ownership for any files there, by the way, so I'm not sure what happened that ownership was set wrong but it in effect repaired everything in your home dir to be owned by you, as it should be.

WestSlope

Re: [SOLVED] AMD vs. Intel Processors

Unread post by WestSlope » 2015-12-30, 00:56

Thank you for the explanation MC. Both you and trava90 hit this problem back a few posts ago and was right.
so, did you set the proper permissions on it?
Thanks again all.
Dan