How to import passwords from Firefox 42 or higher?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
broadstairs

How to import passwords from Firefox 42 or higher?

Unread post by broadstairs » 2015-12-17, 15:49

Having been recommended to try Palemoon I find it good, however without being able to import my usernames and passwords from FF 42 there is no way I can use it, there are in excess of 400 items in my password file on FF. I have searched around but am unable to find a solution as Password Exporter does not install on Palemoon and FEBE fails because of the differences. Also there is no signons.sqlite in FF 42 to copy!

Can anyone please suggest a method which does work?

Stuart

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to import passwords from Firefox 42 or higher?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-18, 12:01

You can use an extension to export your passwords from Firefox and import them into Pale Moon.
e.g.: https://github.com/fligtar/password-exporter/wiki

Since Mozilla changed the way passwords are stored from a database format to a flat textfile (JSON) format, it's no longer compatible with Pale Moon for direct import of the profile.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

broadstairs

Unread post by broadstairs » 2015-12-18, 19:42

Thanks for the reply. The issue with this is that the latest version of Password Exporter will not install on Palemoon because it believes it is an old version of FF. I have gotten round this by installing an older version on Palemoon from the Mozilla Archives and then been able to import my FF 43 usernames/passwords exported in XML or CSV format using the latest version on FF. It is just a pity that one has to jump through these hoops to achieve it.

Stuart

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-18, 20:27

The latest version of password exporter is indeed not compatible with Pale Moon -- not because AMO thinks we're an old version of Firefox, but because the exporter extension has been changed to cater to Firefox's changes. Our Firefox extension compatibility has been kept at roughly the 24.* level in Firefox Extension Compatibility mode (i.e.: for extensions that were written for Firefox and not for Pale Moon) so that is what it identifies as on the addons.mozilla.org site (and which you can use to get a likely-compatible version of extensions from there).

So yes, you need 2 different versions of the extension, one for Firefox in its current state, and one for Pale Moon. It's a few hoops, but all in all not too terrible compared to having to enter your passwords manually ;)

I've been thinking how to tackle this, but it's simply not straightforward to do outside of the browser (meaning the profile migration tool would be unhanded for that task). Perhaps, though, someone could write a Pale Moon extension that can read Firefox's JSON format natively, and insert the passwords into the password manager?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2015-12-19, 10:39

I'm a few days into Pale Moon (thanks!) and maybe a sticky along the lines of this thread for new convertees would be a good idea. Personally, password, cookie and bookmark migration are show stoppers - but it's easily doable if you know how.

I too used different version of Password Exporter and also Cookie Exporter and Cookie Importer, respectively. Everything else I set up manually. Luckily most of my addons had export/import for their settings.

Cheers :thumbup:
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.