You Tube Video quality

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Barnaby

You Tube Video quality

Unread post by Barnaby » 2015-12-05, 15:22

I have put this on Palemoon for Linux because that is what I use. It may be relevant to all versions. When I watch a youtube video on Firefox I can increase the quality of the screen resolution. I have not been able to do this on PM. When I checked it out I had the message that my browser does not support a choice of resolution.

This left me a bit puzzled. Anyway, is this something that is already known about? I have searched this forum but have not found anything so far. If so, is this something that is going to be addressed? I have moved almost completely over to PM for browsing, but this is one thing that is still a niggle.

lightning slinger

Re: You Tube Video quality

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2015-12-05, 18:23

Barnaby wrote:...... is this something that is already known about? I have searched this forum but have not found anything so far.......
Do a search for html5 and you will find plenty of threads concerning the problem or feature*. I assume you are talking html5 and not flash?
One of the more recent is viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9834#p67365
Barnaby wrote:..... is this something that is going to be addressed?.....
The developers will have to answer that question for you!

*I suppose it's a problem to those who want everything in 1080p and it's a feature to those, like me, who are not too concerned at watching in a lesser quality!

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2015-12-06, 05:16

We noticed this issue for our repackaging of the Mozilla-built Firefox binaries when Youtube pushed HTML5 as default at version 40. We install their packages in /opt/firefox, so we added a distribution.ini file that gets installed into /opt/firefox/distribution/ with a section that includes

Code: Select all

[Preferences]
media.mediasource.enabled=true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.gmp.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed=true

But we'll have to see if PM supports all these flags.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-12-06, 05:38

stevepusser wrote:We noticed this issue for our repackaging of the Mozilla-built Firefox binaries when Youtube pushed HTML5 as default at version 40. We install their packages in /opt/firefox, so we added a distribution.ini file that gets installed into /opt/firefox/distribution/ with a section that includes

Code: Select all

[Preferences]
media.mediasource.enabled=true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.gmp.enabled=true
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed=true

But we'll have to see if PM supports all these flags.
We do not nor will ever support MSE or DASH. Also, shipping with alt configuration beyond what is necessary to get the application to build and run is not permitted without special approval from Moonchild Productions.

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2015-12-06, 15:59

Thanks for all the help and info. It is not of great importance except just sometimes I find the screen of a video hard to read when it contains text. The answer for me is simple really. Anytime I plan to use Youtube when I might need a higher res, I will use Firefox instead of PM. No doubt it will all be sorted eventually, like the secure badger problem.