Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CharmCityCrab

Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-06-26, 18:35

On Chrome, I was able to set it up so that videos on open tabs that the sites set to run automatically would not run. I'd get a little box instead indicating that there was a video, and a button I could click to play the video when I got around to looking at the tab, if I wanted to play the video.

What's the Pale Moon equivalent of that? Is there an option somewhere I can change? An add-on I should download?

End goal being videos don't play unless I specifically click on them, but that I don't disabled videos entirely to where I'd have to start flipping options or add-ons on and off every time I want to watch something.

megaman

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Unread post by megaman » 2015-06-26, 18:42

There are lots of add-ons that do that.

Look-up Magic Actions for YouTube, or YouTube Center.
You can also use Bar-Tab and set it to not load New Tabs opened, so it loads when you need it.

Sowmoots

Unread post by Sowmoots » 2015-06-27, 10:45

Hello CharmCityCrab,
You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate" in about:addons.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-06-27, 14:41

Sowmoots wrote:You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate"
I would suggest that, assuming that YouTube still plays in Flash Mode by default.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-06-27, 17:21

Sowmoots wrote:Hello CharmCityCrab,
You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate" in about:addons.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed
Click to play doesn't stop the video on this page:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/26/technol ... =obnetwork

I mean, really, one can only take so much of Steve Balmer's yelling before one wants to switch to a browser that doesn't support audio or video. ;)

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-06-27, 17:23

megaman wrote:
Sowmoots wrote:You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate"
I would suggest that, assuming that YouTube still plays in Flash Mode by default.
I don't think I even installed Flash. My impression is that things are playing in HTML 5. HTML 5, as an almost open standard (DRM-encumbered stuff aside) is better in most senses, but I don't know how to stop it from auto-playing. A flash blocker probably wouldn't do it, assuming the name reflects what it does and it hasn't added HTML5 video blocking to it's feature set.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-06-27, 17:55

CharmCityCrab wrote:HTML 5, as an almost open standard (DRM-encumbered stuff aside) is better in most senses, but I don't know how to stop it from auto-playing.
Correct the Flasblock add-on simply blocks Flash and Silverlight, not HTML5.
Right, HTML5 is resource friendly, but did you see my suggestion?
There are add-ons that are solely-based on blocking videos from playing under the HTML5 format, simply searching the Firefox Add-ons site.

broch

Unread post by broch » 2015-06-27, 22:58

While it is simple to stop Flash autoplay without using any extension, this (autoplay HTML5) is old bug in Firefox and in consequence in Pale Moon. See four years old discussion at bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=659285

You can try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... src=search
but reviews are not promising

actually I did find a way to block HTML5 autoplay completely (I just found it a minute ago so not sure how effective this will be);
about:config
media.webm.enabled;false

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2015-06-28, 00:07

Personally, I used the NoScript addon for this purpose for quite some time. I actually kinda "abused" the addon in a way it's not really supposed to be used. In the NoScript configuration, in the tab "Whitelist" I enabled "Scripts Globally Allowed (dangerous)" (after all, I wanted to disable videos, not JavaScript), and in the tab "Embeddings", I enabled "Forbid <AUDIO> / <VIDEO>" and "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too". That did the trick for me, most of the time. Unfortunately, on some sites the Click-to-Play feature didn't work (e.g., there was no Click-to-Play area, or it just wasn't clickable), and some pages just broke in strange ways, so I gave up on this after I while. But it might be worth a try, maybe it works for you.

(As a side note, if you're using any plugins, you should make sure that they are not blocked/set to "ask to activate" in both NoScript and about:addons, because otherwise you'll have to confirm multiple times whenever you want to allow a plugin.)

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2015-10-22, 23:34

broch wrote: actually I did find a way to block HTML5 autoplay completely (I just found it a minute ago so not sure how effective this will be);
about:config
media.webm.enabled;false
Unfortunately that syops them completely. There is no click to play.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-10-23, 00:51

If it's HTML5, it should be fixed in beta 3. See here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9899
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

blind12
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by blind12 » 2015-11-23, 16:15

LimboSlam wrote:If it's HTML5, it should be fixed in beta 3. See here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9899
Beta 3 of what? I currently have Palemoon 25.8.0. Cannot ask in that thread as it's locked.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-11-23, 16:27

blind12 wrote:Beta 3 of what? I currently have Palemoon 25.8.0. Cannot ask in that thread as it's locked.
Palemoon 26 Beta 3, which is a Public BETA and you can use it if you wish, but it's not ready for mainstream and it's not fully-optimized, so YourMileageMayVary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-24, 16:18

As a note, I've implemented something extra to give more control which will be in the final version. It's an extra preference specifically to control scripted playback. Just disabling media.autoplay.enabled will still allow scripted events (so it'd be the old behavior) and also setting media.autoplay.allowscripted to false will be the new "block autoplay" behavior, this to provide intermediate level of blocking and avoiding the inherent issues with blocking everything.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

anonemous1

Unread post by anonemous1 » 2016-01-27, 17:44

Moonchild wrote:As a note, I've implemented something extra to give more control which will be in the final version. It's an extra preference specifically to control scripted playback. Just disabling media.autoplay.enabled will still allow scripted events (so it'd be the old behavior) and also setting media.autoplay.allowscripted to false will be the new "block autoplay" behavior, this to provide intermediate level of blocking and avoiding the inherent issues with blocking everything.
Hi! I know this is probably a stupid question and you probably covered this somewhere... But how do I set the setting to false? Is there something I'm missing here? I checked Options and Advanced Options (PM Commander), but couldn't find it. Maybe it could be added to Pale Moon Commander?

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Anon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-27, 20:03

In the address bar, type about:config and press enter
This will give you a list of advanced preferences (please don't willy-nilly change other ones unless you know what you're doing).

Find the named preference and double-click it to flip it to false.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

anonemous1

Unread post by anonemous1 » 2016-01-28, 04:28

Moonchild wrote:In the address bar, type about:config and press enter
This will give you a list of advanced preferences (please don't willy-nilly change other ones unless you know what you're doing).

Find the named preference and double-click it to flip it to false.
Thanks you! Found it :-)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-01-28, 09:17

As I understand it, setting both media.autoplay.enabled and media.autoplay.allowscripted to "false" should prevent videos from playing automatically hence the user should be required to start the video.

I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-01-28, 09:22

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)
Confirmed.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-28, 13:29

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)
Then, it might have switched to FLASH, I get no such thing.