gstreamer causing videos to freeze for the last few seconds

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CANADIAN PIG

gstreamer causing videos to freeze for the last few seconds

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-11-05, 19:52

I have made a video of the issue here: https://youtu.be/1lXeY-pGN5U

I have done the following:
  • Installed PM on another machine
    Used a fresh profile
    Used a fresh install of Linux
    Used Safe Mode
I am currently on Mint Cinnamon 17.2, but the issue occurs in Ubuntu and Mint XFCE 17.2 as well. All OSes are x64.
Pale Moon is version 25.7.3 x64.
gstreamer0.10-* is installed. I have also installed gstreamer1.0-* was also installed during the troublesdhooting process.

This issue seems to be happening with any video that uses H.264 and gstreamer. The issue doesn't occur with the webm format or other videos. I beleive this issue is exclusive to gstreamer. This issue is occuring accross all my machines and devices.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have a solution to it?
Last edited by CANADIAN PIG on 2015-11-06, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: gstreamer causing videos to freeze for the last few seco

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-11-05, 21:30

Could you provide more information about your system config (Distro, x64 or x86, which version of PM, GStreamer, etc.).

CANADIAN PIG

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-11-06, 06:23

trava90 wrote:Could you provide more information about your system config (Distro, x64 or x86, which version of PM, GStreamer, etc.).
Updated the OP.

Axiomatic

Unread post by Axiomatic » 2015-11-06, 20:36

Try setting media.video-queue.default-size in about:config to 8, if that does not help then try setting it to 5, if that does not help try 3.

CANADIAN PIG

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-11-08, 05:27

Axiomatic wrote:Try setting media.video-queue.default-size in about:config to 8, if that does not help then try setting it to 5, if that does not help try 3.
Set it to 8, 5, and 3. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue. Thanks for the attempt!

CANADIAN PIG

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-12-01, 09:12

I am still having this issue. Can anyone else confirm if they are havining it, even if they do not have a fix?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-12-01, 16:00

I looked up the YouTube video shown in your upload and can confirm it happens with a recent trunk build.

CANADIAN PIG

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-12-02, 06:15

trava90 wrote:I looked up the YouTube video shown in your upload and can confirm it happens with a recent trunk build.
It is great to hear someone else is having the same issue as me, especially a dev. Not sure if this is a Palemoon issue or a gstreamer issue.

Also, since I am very new, what is a "trunk" build? Is that a pre-release dev build?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-02, 12:37

CANADIAN PIG wrote:Not sure if this is a Palemoon issue or a gstreamer issue.
It's most likely a GStreamer issue.
CANADIAN PIG wrote:Also, since I am very new, what is a "trunk" build? Is that a pre-release dev build?
A "trunk" build is a build from the state of development of the browser that is at the very tip of the source tree (i.e. where new patches land). It's like "nightly" but then not bound to being an overnight build -- it's whatever state the code is in that is actively being developed. Needless to say this can be terribly broken ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-12-02, 15:38

Look through this post: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9067

He is using PCLinuxOS and his HTML5 player didn't work either, at the end he found a solution, see if any of this helps.

CANADIAN PIG

Unread post by CANADIAN PIG » 2015-12-15, 07:37

Moonchild wrote:It's most likely a GStreamer issue.
Should I try getting in touch with the gstreamer devs instead of posting here?
troypulk wrote:Look through this post: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9067

He is using PCLinuxOS and his HTML5 player didn't work either, at the end he found a solution, see if any of this helps.
Thanks, but I came accross that thread when trying to solve this issue thorugh Google-fu and none of the solutions helped.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-12-15, 14:53

Try going to the Mint forums first, they might already know about it.

It wouldn't hurt to try the gstreamer devs.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: gstreamer causing videos to freeze for the last few seconds

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-03-25, 13:36

I believe this has been fixed by commit 2289d84. The issue should be resolved in Pale Moon 26.2