Not really acting like a Portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

Not really acting like a Portable

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2015-09-21, 14:25

Hi, fairly new to Portable, as in three days, but I figured I could install it then using my Folder-synch program save it to a NAS drive. Then when I use another device, tablet for instance, just synch that to the tablet and I'd be back where I was with the desktop Portable PM.

Not so, the Passwords and Bookmark did notr come across. The tablet started up with the bare stock Bookmarks instead of the 200+ of the desktop.

I just tried a manual copy using the network and same-same.

Is there something I need to change to ask it not to check if it is on a different PC? It is NOT on a USB stick, the synch is to a direct folder structure identical on all our windows devices.

Thanks

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Not really acting like a Portable

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2015-09-21, 17:19

A few questions:

1. What Folder-sync program are you using? Firefox- and Pale Moon-backup programs take into account your default profile location. This is true especially if you have installed a "standard" version as well as a Portable version of Pale Moon.

2. If you have installed Pale Moon Portable and are using it with its default configuration, the profile is in the same folder. In my case, I have installed Pale Moon Portable on an external hard disk that moves from computer to computer. The Pale Moon program is in: F:\PortableApps\PaleMoonPortable\Bin\palemoon
The Pale Moon profile is in: F:\PortableApps\PaleMoonPortable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default

Its exact location is defined in: F:\PortableApps\PaleMoonPortable\Palemoon Portable.ici,
in the line : MOZ_PROFILE_PATH=$Home$\$AppName$\Profiles\$Profile$

3. I see that you want to port your Pale Moon between two environments. On one side, you are using Pale Moon Portable with the program and data stored on a NAS drive. Is this a Windows, Linux or Mac version? One one side, you are using it on a tablet. Even if you connect your tablet on the same NAS, I wonder if Android files are formatted the same way and would be compatible with files created by Pale Moon for Windows.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2015-10-06, 20:15

Thanks for the thoughts but all three PCs are running win8.1. No stinking Android here. :)

It turns out that windows in it's degrees of perfection, or not, had different ideas on Internet time. There is two seconds difference between the main laptop and the NAS and 12 seconds between my laptop and the NAS. Makes no sense to me, but that's what was causing the problem.

The Synch program is one I wrote and I have since added a Last-Modified fudge factor of 30-seconds either way. I am pretty sure the Atomic clocks at NIST are all sharing the exact same time. Gotta love msoft. Aaarrrggghhh.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-10-06, 20:26

If tightly accurate time is important, then you should make sure to synchronize regularly (not the very low frequency that Windows synchronizes as default).
Some good solutions and a pool of NTP servers to use can be found at http://pool.ntp.org
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2015-12-06, 21:35

Currently, I've got Pale Moon v25.8.1 (x64) installed on my desktop computer here:
C:\Program Files\Pale Moon
If I also run a Portable version of Pale Moon on that same computer, lets say from here:
C:\Portables\Pale Moon
..this happens:
After launching it a few times, it has suddenly imported all my extensions, bookmarks and stuff automatically from here:
C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon

Now, this shouldn't happen with real portable software, should it?

(Running Win8.1Pro,x64)

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-12-06, 22:40

Tomaso wrote:
Now, this shouldn't happen with real portable software, should it?
Moonchild's posts in the thread below may answer your questions, maybe?

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2143

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2015-12-06, 23:17

helloimustbegoing wrote:Moonchild's posts in the thread below may answer your questions, maybe?

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2143
Thanks.
I've always used 'Palemoon-Portable.exe' when launcing the portable version, never 'palemoon.exe' under 'Bin\Palemoon'.
Anyway, as I understand it, Moonchild says that for a portable version to actually ignore the 'AppData' folder, it needs to have a "stealth" mode?
This goes against my perception of portable software, where I'd take that kind of stealth definition for granted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-06, 23:33

No, you misunderstand.

By default, Pale Moon Portable will recognize if an installed Pale Moon is already running, and will open a new window in it.
if you want to disable that behavior to run the portable concurrently, edit palemoon-portable.ini and remove the semicolon in front of the MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 line.

Also, portable does not equal stealth. A portable is defined by its portability -- there is no requirement of there never ever being a trace of it on a host system for an application to be portable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2015-12-06, 23:40

Moonchild wrote:edit palemoon-portable.ini and remove the semicolon in front of the MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 line.
Thanks.
That seemed to work! :)