[Solved] How To Create A New Profile In Linux Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

[Solved] How To Create A New Profile In Linux Pale Moon

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-13, 16:29

Creating a new profile in Windows Pale Moon is a lot easier than creating a new profile in linux Pale Moon so bear with me.

Since I play around with linux distros, I've always installed a fresh copy of linux Pale Moon from the linux tarball into the the linux distro I'm experimenting with so I've never had to create a new profile in linux Pale Moon. Lets say somehow the profile I'm using in linux Pale Moon gets corrupted somehow and I need to create a new profile without transferring anything over from the old profile. I know how to get to the "profiles.ini" file. Once I open it up, I get this below:

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=garhgsj0.default
In order for me to create a new profile, under [General], would I change the StartWithLastProfile value of 1 to 2?

And under [Profile0] would I also have to change this to [Profile1]? Then would I have to change the Name from default to newprofile while also changing the IsRelative value from 1 to 2?

And would this also change the Path=garhgsj0.default to Path=garhgsj0.newprofile or would this be Path=garhgsj1.newprofile?

I hope I've made this clear enough, but my limited non-technical linux knowledge is definitely showing so I need a little help from a linux power user when it comes to linux Pale Moon.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2015-09-16, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: How To Create A New Profile In Linux Pale Moon

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-09-13, 22:47

Night Wing wrote:In order for me to create a new profile, under [General], would I change the StartWithLastProfile value of 1 to 2?
If you change this value to "0", the Profile Manager will be launched the next time you start Pale Moon, allowing you to create a new profile. Alternatively, you can launch the Profile Manager by opening a Terminal window and typing:

path/to/application -profilemanager
Of course you need to replace "path/to/application" with the actual path to the Pale Moon executable on your computer.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-13, 23:04

@Antonius32

Thanks for the reply.

Right now, I'm trying to stay completely "away" from the Terminal. Me and the Terminal don't get along. Whenever I use the Terminal, I get nothing but error prompts. This is the only drawback I have with linux.

I was just hoping I could make a new profile with a gui window or windows. I learned how to make linux Pale Moon launcher icons for the Panel and Desktop with gui windows without linux Pale Moon being installed in linux Mint. I was just hoping I could do the same thing when creating a new linux Pale Moon profile.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-09-13, 23:39

Another way to get a brand new profile in PaleMoon on Linux is go here with your file manager:
/home/username/.moonchild productions/pale moon/

Select all files and cut and paste in a new folder to hold them there so you don't lose anything, then start Pale Moon again and you will have a new virgin profile.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 00:54

I tried Anotonius32 method typing: "path/to/application -profilemanager" (without the quote marks) and it brought back my usual Terminal result which stated:

No such file or directory
The Terminal is the one thing which I despise in linux. :x Following Troy's direction, I opened my Thunar File Manager and typed in the Search field:

/home/joe/.moonchild productions/pale moon/
and it bought me a choice of two files:

garhgsj0.default

profiles.ini

And the "profiles.ini" (without the quote marks) brings up the code in my first post. Opening the garhgsj0.default folder brings up lots of subfolders which total 40 items. :shock: So it looks like I'm just spinning my wheels going nowhere.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2015-09-14, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-09-14, 03:41

You didn't follow my post.

Now right click and cut and paste these two
garhgsj0.default and profiles.ini
into a different folder.

After this restart Pale Moon and it will recreate a new .default and profile.ini files.

There by making a new profile.

Night Wing wrote:I tried Anotonius32 method typing: "path/to/application -profilemanager" (without the quote marks) and it brought back my usual Terminal result which stated:

No such file or directory
The Terminal is the one thing which is despise in linux. :x Following Troy's direction, I opened my Thunar File Manager and typed in the Search field:

/home/joe/.moonchild productions/pale moon/
and it bought me a choice of two files:

garhgsj0.default

profiles.ini

And the "profiles.ini" (without the quote marks) brings up the code in my first post. Opening the garhgsj0.default folder brings up lots of subfolders which total 40 items. :shock: So it looks like I'm just spinning my wheels going nowhere.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-14, 05:53

The profile manager is a graphical tool to create, rename, delete profiles and choose the profile to start with. You can access it with the Pale Moon command switch "-ProfileManager" either from a terminal or creating a special desktop shortcut for it:

terminal way: open the terminal in the pale moon program directory and start palemoon with the -ProfileManager switch

$ palemoon -profilemanager
desktop shortcut way: create a new shortcut for pale moon on desktop or some application launcher. Open the shortcut's properties and add the switch "-ProfileManager" to the commands. Rename this shortcut for example to "Pale Moon Profile Manager".

If the new profile is meant to replace an existing profile, you can also make a copy of the current profile folder in file explorer without using the Profile Manager:
create a copy of the current profiles folder (xxxxxxxxx.default -> xxxxxxxxx.default-copy) and then delete the content of the current profile folder (not the folder itself). When you start Pale Moon it will recreate the profile for you like you started it the first time. If you want to restore the old profile after, replace the current profile with the copied profile folder.

If the new profile is meant for an another user it is probably better to create a new user account.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 09:21

troypulk wrote:You didn't follow my post.

into a different folder.

After this restart Pale Moon and it will recreate a new .default and profile.ini files.

I'm still doing something wrong because I cannot get this to work. I say this because a new profile should not put back my bookmarks in my Bookmarks Toolbar. The Bookmarks Toolbar should be empty with a new profile, but all of my bookmarks are shown in my Bookmarks Toolbar.

I might have to use my experimental laptop for this since I'm starting to get a bad feeling I'm going to destroy my present version of linux Pale Moon on this tower computer because I'm going to run into Murphy's Law.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 09:23

jumba wrote:The profile manager is a graphical tool to create, rename, delete profiles and choose the profile to start with. You can access it with the Pale Moon command switch "-ProfileManager" either from a terminal or creating a special desktop shortcut for it:

terminal way: open the terminal in the pale moon program directory and start palemoon with the -ProfileManager switch

$ palemoon -profilemanager
I know the profile manager is a graphical tool. I just can't get to the graphical profile manager in linux. When I shut down linux Pale Moon, it brought me to my Desktop and nothing else was open. I opened up the linux Terminal and typed in your code, left clicked on my Enter key and the Terminal gave me an error prompt which is below:

$: command not found
What is simple for power users, absolutely frustrates me. For some reason, I'm not comprehending the instructions either for the Terminal or creating the shortcut on the Desktop. For me, I have to watch someone do this and the only way this is going to happen is for someone who can take control of my computer with TeamViewer so I can "actually see" how this is done step by step.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-09-14, 09:58

You could try the following steps:

1. Close Pale Moon.
2. Open the profiles.ini file with your preferred editor, change "StartWithLastProfile=1" to "StartWithLastProfile=0", and save the edited file.
3. Start Pale Moon like you normally do to launch the Profile Manager.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2015-09-14, 10:03

Night Wing wrote:
troypulk wrote:You didn't follow my post.

into a different folder.

I'm still doing something wrong because I cannot get this to work. I say this because a new profile should not put back my bookmarks in my Bookmarks Toolbar. The Bookmarks Toolbar should be empty with a new profile, but all of my bookmarks are shown in my Bookmarks Toolbar.
Did you copy (copy & paste) or did you move (cut & paste) the files to a different folder? It's important that you move them. You want to make sure that the folder /home/joe/.moonchild productions/pale moon/ is empty, because then Pale Moon will not find any profiles and create a new one.

I can also recommend this method presented by jumba:
jumba wrote:If the new profile is meant to replace an existing profile, you can also make a copy of the current profile folder in file explorer without using the Profile Manager:
create a copy of the current profiles folder (xxxxxxxxx.default -> xxxxxxxxx.default-copy) and then delete the content of the current profile folder (not the folder itself). When you start Pale Moon it will recreate the profile for you like you started it the first time. If you want to restore the old profile after, replace the current profile with the copied profile folder.
because I use that one all the time myself. ;)
Night Wing wrote:I opened up the linux Terminal and typed in your code, left clicked on my Enter key and the Terminal gave me an error prompt which is below:

$: command not found
What is simple for power users, absolutely frustrates me. For some reason, I'm not comprehending the instructions either for the Terminal or creating the shortcut on the Desktop. For me, I have to watch someone do this and the only way this is going to happen is for someone who can take control of my computer with TeamViewer so I can "actually see" how this is done step by step.
It means exactly what it says: The command ("palemoon") could not be found. This is probably because you use the tarball instead of the official installer, so the terminal does not know where to look for it (whereas the installer would take care of this).
You should know where your Pale Moon installation is located (since you have manually installed it from the tarball). The "palemoon" application file/command should be in that folder. Just add the full path to the "palemoon" command (and add quotes before the path and after the command, if there's any folders that contain spaces in their names). For example, if your installation is located in something like /home/joe/Program Files/Pale Moon, then use this command:

"/home/joe/Program Files/Pale Moon/palemoon" -profilemanager

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 11:27

Antonius32 wrote:You could try the following steps:

1. Close Pale Moon.
2. Open the profiles.ini file with your preferred editor, change "StartWithLastProfile=1" to "StartWithLastProfile=0", and save the edited file.
3. Start Pale Moon like you normally do to launch the Profile Manager.
I'm guessing nothing has worked previously is because my linux Pale Moon is "not installed". I prefer to extract the "palemoon" folder from the tarball and then launch my Pale Moon from the executable file in the sub folder named "palemoon". This doesn't create a menu entry or the launcher icons but I learned how to create the Pale Moon launcher icons for the Desktop and the Panel taskbar by the use of gui windows. I'm going to try your method above using my experimental laptop later on today since I've got some medical blood work to do two hours from now.

One question that has got me confused. If I can open the "profiles.ini" file and see the "StartWithLastProfile=1", why can't I just change the value to 0 right then and there? In other words, why do I have to use a text editor?

I know I'm being"dense" like in a total fog, but this is the bane of being a non-technical computer user.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 11:40

Toa-Nuva wrote:It means exactly what it says: The command ("palemoon") could not be found. This is probably because you use the tarball instead of the official installer, so the terminal does not know where to look for it (whereas the installer would take care of this).
You should know where your Pale Moon installation is located (since you have manually installed it from the tarball). The "palemoon" application file/command should be in that folder. Just add the full path to the "palemoon" command (and add quotes before the path and after the command, if there's any folders that contain spaces in their names). For example, if your installation is located in something like /home/joe/Program Files/Pale Moon, then use this command:

"/home/joe/Program Files/Pale Moon/palemoon" -profilemanager
You are correct. I did use the tarball and not the official installer. I was never able to get linux Pale Moon installed using the official installer. Something always went wrong when I tried the official installer. Then later on, I was told the Synaptic Package Manager could not uninstall Pale Moon if I ever needed to uninstall Pale Moon because of the official installer so this is why I chose the "extract & run" method to use linux Pale Moon.

Right now, I'm really confused because I just can't grasp/comprehend/understand the instructions. This is what is so frustrating for me. It is right in front of me, but I can't see it.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-09-14, 11:54

Night Wing wrote:I'm guessing nothing has worked previously is because my linux Pale Moon is "not installed". I prefer to extract the "palemoon" folder from the tarball and then launch my Pale Moon from the executable file in the sub folder named "palemoon"
Well, I also almost never do the "install" thing (at superuser level), because I prefer to have the s/w under my user home, at least while testing. But I guess you won't have to blame Pale Moon, nor Linux, but perhaps your expectations of having Linux behave in a Windows-like mode. Personally that is something I cannot stand. I live in a command-line oriented environment (I start most of my stuff from the command line of an xterm or a rxvt), and work without a "Desktop Environment" but just with a window manager (there should even be a thread in the fvwm forum http://www.fvwmforums.org about "life without a desktop environment" initiated by somebody else who shares my feeling). Actually my Pale Moon normally starts at login by the .fvwmrc.

I am not sure what this Terminal with capital T you quote is, I suppose just a terminal emulator with a shell like xterm or a rxvt. They do not bite ! :mrgreen: That's not unlike the command prompt of Windows. And to start a program by name, you have to have the directory where the executable is in your PATH. This is also not unlike Windows.
Also the concept of a home directory (abbreviated as ~ ; try "echo ~") should not be unfamiliar.

Under ~ you should have a directory (you might call it folder) ~/.moonchild productions/ which contains a subdirectory pale moon, which contains a profiles.ini and another directory with an odd name like w5zr0qvy.default. What I usually do when I want to test a new version in fresh mode, is to backup all such directories, and/or rename them. A new fresh one will be created (if the old ones are renamed, moved off the way or deleted), or the old one is used and overwritten otherwise (in this case the backup may come handy)/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-09-14, 12:55

@Night Wing: I've learned that my previous instructions don't work, but the following steps will give you a new profile:

1. Close Pale Moon.
2. Open the "profiles.ini" file (it doesn't matter how, as long as you can edit its content) and delete the following lines:

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=garhgsj0.default
3. Save the edited "profiles.ini" file.
4. Start Pale Moon like you normally do; a new profile will be created automatically.

Afterwards, you can take the following steps to delete the old profile folder:

5. Start your file manager.
6. Browse to /home/[user name] and set your file manager to display hidden files and folders.
7. Open the ".moonchild productions" folder, then open the "pale moon" folder, so you're in /home/[user name]/.moonchild productions/pale moon.
8. Delete the "garhgsj0.default" folder.
9. Navigate back to /home/[user name] and set your file manager to not display hidden files and folders.
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2015-09-14, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-14, 15:14

or you can launch the binary with -profilemanager and use the UI to do it..

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 16:09

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I am not sure what this Terminal with capital T you quote is, I suppose just a terminal emulator with a shell like xterm or a rxvt. They do not bite ! :mrgreen:
The reason I use the capital "T" for the terminal is because the terminal in my linux Mint menu is listed as, "Terminal Emulator" so I use "Terminal" for short. And the terminal does bite. It bites me a lot as my previous posts in this topic thread have already shown. ;)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-14, 16:29

Antonius32 wrote:@Night Wing: I've learned that my previous instructions don't work, but the following steps will give you a new profile:

1. Close Pale Moon.
2. Open the "profiles.ini" file (it doesn't matter how, as long as you can edit its content) and delete the following lines:

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=garhgsj0.default
3. Save the edited "profiles.ini" file.
4. Start Pale Moon like you normally do; a new profile will be created automatically.

Afterwards, you can take the following steps to delete the old profile folder:

5. Start your file manager.
6. Browse to /home/[user name] and set your file manager to display hidden files and folders.
7. Open the ".moonchild productions" folder, then open the "pale moon" folder, so you're in /home/[user name]/.moonchild productions/pale moon.
8. Delete the "garhgsj0.default" folder.
9. Navigate back to /home/[user name] and set your file manager to not display hidden files and folders.
I will try the method above. I may succeed or I may not succeed. Time (and the limit of my patience) will tell the tale. If I don't succeed, I do have a Plan B for creating a new linux Pale Moon profile. Plan B is described as being the old fashioned hard way. And it will create a new linux Pale Moon profile, but it will take me about 75 minutes of time to get it done. Do I want to go the Plan B old fashioned hard way? No, but sometimes "beggars can't be choosers" if Plan B, is the only choice left.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-09-14, 16:43

The easiest way is just go to /home/joe/.moonchild productions/pale moon/ with Thunar

Then rename these two files
garhgsj0.default

profiles.ini
to this
garhgsj0.default-old

profiles.ini-old
Then restart Pale Moon

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-09-14, 17:06

Night Wing wrote:
Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I am not sure what this Terminal with capital T you quote is, I suppose just a terminal emulator with a shell like xterm or a rxvt. They do not bite ! :mrgreen:
The reason I use the capital "T" for the terminal is because the terminal in my linux Mint menu is listed as, "Terminal Emulator" so I use "Terminal" for short. And the terminal does bite. It bites me a lot as my previous posts in this topic thread have already shown. ;)
Uh well, maybe it's because of the teeth of the Desktop Environment :mrgreen: . I never use the Konsole terminal emulator or any of the K things under KDE (except kdiff3 which is cute)nor gnome, but you should have any of the Good Old terminal emulators like xterm or rxvt and they definitely do not bite (any more than the windows "Command Prompt"), like dxterm or sunterm or even tn3270 did not bite.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)