Firefox's seppuku continues...

General discussion and chat (archived)
jez9999
Fanatic
Fanatic

Firefox's seppuku continues...

Unread post by jez9999 » 2015-08-21, 18:09

And the unofficial "kill-xul" internal motto is made public:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/
Deprecation of XUL, XPCOM, and the permissive add-on model
Looks like I have no choice but to switch fully to Pale Moon now... SeaMonkey will be sucked down with the Firefox Titanic. So... hi everyone. I guess I'm properly on board now. And any XUL-based extensions I make in future.

Oh and Moonchild for God's sake don't jettison features from PM for no good reason and don't do stuff "because Chrome did it".

dark_moon

Re: Firefox's seppuku continues...

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-08-21, 18:16

jez9999 wrote:Oh and Moonchild for God's sake don't jettison features from PM for no good reason and don't do stuff "because Chrome did it".
Moonchild never make something like that. You are in the Pale Moon forum, not in the Mozilla forum ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-21, 19:20

Welcome aboard, Jez!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-08-21, 19:33

They say this, "making it so that addons can be written that work well with multiple processes (WebExtension API)," but will not except us, hell we come from the same source code!! Now how does Chrome get their gratitude????!!
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-08-21, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2015-08-21, 19:49

So this is it... What Australis itself couldn't accomplish deprecating XUL and XPCOM will. I don't understand business model of Mozilla Corporation. They are abandoning their long time users and fans for another user group ( Google Chrome) which they are supposed to compete. Competing doesn't mean becoming same as competitor. It should mean becoming better and different.

Even though I prefer Pale Moon I hope SeaMonkey can survive ( and still have XUL and XPCOM) this so users have choices. Pale Moon thankfully chose right way and didn't remove customization.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-08-21, 20:07

With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-08-21, 20:13

link leads to a 404!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-08-21, 20:18

Hmmmm...... It worked earlier. The specific commit was about how we will continue to support XUL, XPCOM and XBL source code for any add-ons devs that use it. But I bet Mozilla removed the commit as it mention us.

EDIT: yep, they even removed mine! Well unless it takes a full day to see your own commit?
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-08-21, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2015-08-21, 20:20

Mozilla’s self-destruct course continues: major add-on compatibility changes announced

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/21/mozill ... announced/

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2015-08-21, 20:29

Yes I already knew that Pale Moon will support XUL, XPCOM and XBL in future. I just hope that because people need many browser choices that Seamonkey will also continue have XUL, XPCOM and XBL in future and that Firefox will not bring Seamonkey down with it.

Seamonkey is still decent browser even though personally I like Pale Moon more.

Edit/ extra information:

http://www.downthemall.net/the-likely-e ... wnthemall/

I don't use this add-on personally just want to pass information to others.

Yes this will be end of Firefox. Maybe Moonchild could contact this extension author to possibly port extension to Pale Moon so others who want to use it could use it on Pale Moon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-21, 21:25

I'm just hoping Firefox doesn't take down SeaMonkey with it with another of Mozilla's "grandiose" plans. Linux SeaMonkey is my backup browser to linux Pale Moon in linux Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-08-21, 21:47

I've also heard that CTR uses XUL, so there goes Cyberfox, good bye! If I didn't know any better, I would say they are killing their competition, all!
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-08-21, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-21, 21:54

i bet they will castrate MDN too. seems that it's time to start making MDN mirror...

2LimboSlam: yep. there is no other way to stop dumbstralis, so they decided to kill Ff entirely. so long, mozilla, and thanks for all the fish.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-21, 22:09

This could "really" BACKFIRE on Mozilla. If their add-on developers abandon ship in droves because of this new directional policy change, Firefox will be in a "world of hurt".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2015-08-21, 22:15

win7-7 wrote: Yes this will be end of Firefox. Maybe Moonchild could contact this extension author to possibly port extension to Pale Moon so others who want to use it could use it on Pale Moon.
"Down them all" already works fine with Pale Moon, but reading this first reaction of Nils Maier, the question is how many of these great add-ons will survive on addons.mozilla.org when they weed them out for new API addons. If it's true that this API is a "toy" or just not worth re-writing the add-ons all from scratch, I have some hope extension developers would switch to support Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, ... and what's left.
I'm sure Pale Moon user base will grow, so may be add-on donations, too :)

Manabi

Unread post by Manabi » 2015-08-22, 00:27

Night Wing wrote:This could "really" BACKFIRE on Mozilla. If their add-on developers abandon ship in droves because of this new directional policy change, Firefox will be in a "world of hurt".
Oh, I'm pretty sure it WILL backfire on them. But I'm also pretty sure they'll stick their fingers in their ears and ignore it, all the while claiming everyone just loves what they've done (except all the ones who don't, they don't count).

I need to try Pale Moon Portable again, last time I did it pulled in all my addons installed in my main Pale Moon. I need true portable instances that can have their own addon set. Right now I've been using Firefox Portable, but obviously that can't continue much longer.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-08-22, 01:15

As a DTA user, this is disappointing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-08-22, 01:27

Well this is what the Add-ons Team will be doing about this.. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8756&p=62097#p62097

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-08-22, 05:40

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-22, 09:26

Keep in mind that the SeaMonkey devs for years now have done very little except make changes to make sure it builds and continues to work on whatever the latest version of FF code is. Unless they actually step it up, they will become just as incompatible with extensions as FF. And for them it's even worse, because by far most (if not practically all) extensions are XUL extensions, because of their legacy roots.

DtA works well, by the way, I use it without problems
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite