Up-to-date linux build instructions?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Up-to-date linux build instructions?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2015-07-31, 01:32

Hello all. I run Gentoo linux, and I'd like to build Palemoon from scratch. I'm not a developer/programmer, but I can follow instructions. Before anyone asks... yes, I did read README.txt, which directed me to http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4166 ...which gives instructions for building under Windows

Correct me if I'm wrong... as near as I can figure out, I'm supposed to create a .mozconfig file in the "Pale-Moon-25.6.0_Release" directory, with various "ac_add_options" options, and then execute "./mach". The "client.mk" file appears to be irrelavant, with instructions for building Mozilla, from Sourceforge.

Another question, is there a list somewhere of valid "ac_add_options" options, and what they do?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Up-to-date linux build instructions?

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-07-31, 04:52

Welcome to the forum Walter!

You can find up-to-date information on building Pale Moon on Linux on the new Linux site: http://linux.palemoon.org/help/build/
Walter Dnes wrote:Another question, is there a list somewhere of valid "ac_add_options" options, and what they do?
MDN has a good article to get you started. You can also look through the source code for additional options.

Take a look and if you have any more questions let us know! :)

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-07-31, 05:44

>Another question, is there a list somewhere of valid "ac_add_options" options,
>and what they do?

there is "configure" file in source code root directory (it appears after first build, AFAIR). you can do "./configure --help" to see alot of available options with brief descriptions. please, note that not all options are tested, and some option sets may fail to build (the tests are known to fail with GCC 4.9, for example).

p.s. GCC 4.9 is known to produce unstable binaries. you should use GCC 4.7 if you can.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-07-31, 15:15

Don't use configure directly when you are building a Mozilla-based application.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-07-31, 15:22

i'm in no way telling to use configure to actually configure the project, i'm talking about simply getting a list of options out of it. while that's not all available options (and not all of that options are usable), it's still interesting source of information.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-07-31, 15:25

ketmar wrote:i'm in no way telling to use configure to actually configure the project, i'm talking about simply getting a list of options out of it. while that's not all available options (and not all of that options are usable), it's still interesting source of information.
You are correct because there are per-application configure options as well and many options that may not work or not be applicable to a specific target.. You simply cannot trust the output of configure.