PaleMoon's codebase

General discussion and chat (archived)
superA

PaleMoon's codebase

Unread post by superA » 2015-07-21, 16:20

Sorry for the title,I couldn't find a better one.

Fooling around on Tor forums, I found some serius accuses against older Firefox codebase.
For exable, they claimed that the browser attempts to collect your password login,email,name e.t.c. at start up.

That's the relevant sourcecode http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release/ ... nfoWin.cpp

Does the same exists in PaleMoon's codebase??

Thanks.

squarefractal

Re: PaleMoon's codebase

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-07-21, 16:34

startup as in toolkit/components/startup/nsUserInfoWin.cpp and email as in nsUserInfo::GetEmailAddress => ZOMG CONSPIRACY!!! :twisted:

That is the code which is used by the email clients based off Mozilla code.
Last edited by squarefractal on 2015-07-22, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-21, 16:38

I checked actual usage. Not much at all is exposed to the front end to begin with, and what is exposed is used to grab the full name (if filled out) for the account setup wizard on mail, for example. What did you think, that it would be gathered and then silently sent off to Mozilla? :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-07-21, 17:33

Moonchild wrote:I checked actual usage. Not much at all is exposed to the front end to begin with, and what is exposed is used to grab the full name (if filled out) for the account setup wizard on mail, for example. What did you think, that it would be gathered and then silently sent off to Mozilla? :)

I trust the project and I follow blindly.
Just dont know the use of these kind of information and why I can't disable this behavor via prefs.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-08-29, 07:18

about:telemetry

http://prntscr.com/8a5wo5

As the page says this information is submitted to Mozilla.
Now , how come , with almost the same heavy customized config , Firefox don't have ''System Information'' and ''Simple Measurements'' collected data and Pale Moon has ??
I also want to know if I can somehow disable this behavour since I tried and found nothing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-08-29, 07:40

Telemetry on Pale Moon has always been disabled and as of recent versions it is being removed completely.. No information aside for requests for add-on updates from AMO hosted add-ons ever goes to Mozilla.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-29, 10:08

superA wrote:Now , how come , with almost the same heavy customized config , Firefox don't have ''System Information'' and ''Simple Measurements'' collected data and Pale Moon has ??
You can be certain that this data is also collected by Firefox, even if it doesn't show on the page there.
None of this is sent off anywhere in Pale Moon. You can even toggle the enable button on that page and it will still do nothing under the hood -- the about:telemetry page is currently one of the leftovers that will be removed soon, since it really serves no practical purpose for us.

Of note, by the way, is that Mozilla will change its telemetry in the next release version of Firefox, making it "unified telemetry" (one for all). It's unknown what data will be collected and sent in that unified telemetry for people who would like to have a health report but not submit too much data to Mozilla, and questions about that are redirected to the Google Groups discussions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-08-29, 11:49

Thanks for your answers ,

I was certain that Pale Moon doesn't make any '''strange'' connections and yes I've toggled the enable button and checked again , nothing happend , that's why i asked.
I agree , the page is misleading and got to be removed.